Why has my CCleaner suddenly changed?

AaronH

Hi. I don't like automatic updates, so I keep this option unchecked in my CCleaner options, so that it doesn't automatically update. If I want to update, I do it manually and carry out a manual check. I last updated CCleaner on 21/06/23 which installed the latest version from 14/06/23 v6 13.10517. I have not updated CCleaner since and when I carry out a manual check, I see that I have the latest version installed.

I am bit surprised, and concerned, why CCleaner has suddenly altered on my computer. Suddenly, today, for no reason, a new screen has appeared when I select Custom Clean. A new page displays saying 'Welcome Back to CCleaner' with options to analyse or run the cleaner. Other options also load up and appear on the side. (Attached is a screen print to show what it looks like) Other than being annoying, this new feature has only appeared suddenly today. But I haven't updated CCleaner and apparently have the latest version, so why would this new screen suddenly appear? Has CCleaner installed something in the background without my knowledge?

Anyone have any explanations?

Thanks in advance.

Untitled.png

• Moderators

I just saw it too on CCleaner free.

That screen has been around for a while as a 'beta test'. From previous discussions about it it's just random if you get it or not.

See:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AaronH said:

But why would the screen just suddenly appear like that for no reason? Has CCleaner installed something in the background without my knowledge?

No it's all in every CCleaner, screen and all.
That 'Welcome' screen has been in your CCleaner since v6.09, it just wasn't showing it to you before today.

If/when you get shown things is set by registry entries, and timers within the CCleaner  programme itself.

At the moment I see that new 'Welcome' screen today on one of my laptops but not on the other, like I say it's random.

Part of the reason for that randomness is to gauge ramdom user reactions to the new screen and get comments - so that's working and they are getting comments.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
7 hours ago, TheOwner said:

I have the same screen and I dont like it. Is here any way how disable this welcome screen?

Not in the long term, it's almost certainly here to stay and everyone will have it.

Most software changes it's User Interface from time to time. Those that don't change begin to look dated.

With any change to anything - Some are going to hate it, some won't mind, and some will like it.

Of course it's only the haters who will shout about it on fora, with a few 'me too's' from the don't minds, and so reactions can look skewed.
There could be, probably are, may more don't minds or likes, but you don't see them shouting about it.

The funny thing is that everybody quickly gets familiar with the change, so that if/when it comes to change again in a few years then they shout about that new change too.
(And it's usually the same people doing the shouting, many people prefer what's familiar and just don't like any change).

PS. Personally I'm not too keen on the new welcome screen either, but like the many other UI changes that have happened in the past I'll soon get used to it.
Nothing functional has changed, it's only a UI screen.

Mark me down as another user annoyed by the sudden appearance of the new welcome screen (two days ago)!

The Welcome Screen requires an extra step to access Custom Clean. There should be an entry in Settings to disable the screen.

I've been able to (at least temporarily) block the Welcome screen with a registry change:

Open Regedit, navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner

Find the key

(Cfg)WelcomeScreen

and change the value from 1 to 0.

Edited by tzdvl

• Moderators
15 hours ago, tzdvl said:

The Welcome Screen requires an extra step to access Custom Clean.

Actually it doesn't.

You can run a Custom Clean or an Analyze straight from the buttons on the Welcome screen
(OK you will need an extra click if you want to change the ticks/unticks. How often do you do that?)

image.png

If you have your CCleaner set to open with Health Check then you can run that from the Welcome screen too

image.png

• Moderators

I now appears that the new Welcome screen is being activated for everybody. (I've got it on both my laptops now, once CCleaner Pro, one CCleaner Free).

The shouting that we are currently seeing on the forum is something that we see everytime something changes in the CCleaner screens/layout.
It usually dies down in a week or so as users get familiar with the change.

This one isn't that much of a change anyway, it's only the way that the opening screen looks.

As my post directly above this one shows you can still run CCleaner just the same as before, with a single click of a button.

It is a bit odd that they have activated this front end screen change in the way that they have, and didn't wait for a version update.
That's caught everyone by surprise and probably resulted in more shouting than we usually see for a change.

PS. There's a word for it: Misoneism - a hatred, fear, or intolerance of innovation or change.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, nukecad said:

PS. There's a word for it: Misoneism - a hatred, fear, or intolerance of innovation or change.

No way can this be called innovation in my opinion. I refuse to be accused of having 'ism' :) and it's not polite to accuse people of having irrational fears.

It seems to be change in order to highlight the other ccleaner functions on the right-hand side of the popup  (which are already showing on the GUI anyway)

What a waste of programmers time .

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I've clarified it to underline just "intolerance of .. change" .

It is definitely a change, and some of the forum posts about it definitely show intolerance.

No accusations made against anybody, just pointing out a dictionary word and definition.

I don't care much for the new screen either, it's also my opinion that it's an unnecessary change as it has been done.
(But things do change for no particular reason. I can also see that it might be a partial first step to something else, maybe testing ideas).

Count me in as one of the "intolerants" who don't like this new startup screen.

I use CCleaner Free Portable and only use the Custom Clean feature (I don't like all the unnecessary bloat like Health Check, Performance Optimizer, etc. that's been added to CCleaner in the past few years) so the only four files I keep after I unzip the latest ccsetup6xx.zip file are shown below.  Note that ccleaner.ini is manually copied over from my previous CCleaner version to retain my custom settings.

CCleanerv6_13FourFilesKeptAfterUnzippingccsetup6xx_zip08Jul2023.png.2d5e0e17f450be9eb78dfde72f2bc04c.png

However, the new startup screen appears to be designed for the installed version of CCleaner Pro and  throws an error if I select a feature in the Get More With CCleaner panel (e.g., Performance Optimizer, Disk Analyzer) that isn't included in my edition of CCleaner Free.

CCleanerv6_13NewWelcomeScreen07Jul2023.png.c4dfe8ed800a1e9eaba9cea16ecf7e4c.png

CCleanerv6_13NewWelcomeScreenPerformaneOptimizerError08Jul2023.png.b282eb89bbff355faeffea01d1e04159.png

I hope a new setting is eventually added to CCleaner so I can choose to skip this startup screen and go back to the original interface where I could immediately land on the Custom Clean window.  There have been instances in the past where options were added and automatically enabled in Custom Clean without my permission (see my 07-Jun-2022 post in CCleaner 6.00.9727 keeps reporting Firefox cleaning? about how Custom Clean was automatically configured to purge my Firefox bookmark backups for one example) and this is much easier to catch if you land on the original interface and immediately see what options are checked before you click Analyze.
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3086 * Firefox v115.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23050.5-1.1.23050.3 * Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.32.271-1.0.2051 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Portable Free v6.13.10517

• Moderators

If I run CCleaner portable on a machine with no CCleaner installed then the first time I run it I do not get the Welcome screen.
However if I close it and run again I then do get the the Welcome screen, and testing I get same as you,

The PO screen opens but if you actually try to run it then you get the error.
PO needs to monitor things so has to be installed to do that, it can't work with the Portable because it is not installed.
Which is why PO isn't in the sidebar of the Portable.

Capture.PNG

I agree though that it shouldn't be shown on the Welcome screen in the Portable, or should be disabled from use there in the portable.
It looks like an oversight on the developers part. Not that surprising, as they don't seem to consider the Portable much anymore.

I'll flag it up to be looked at, but the obvious solution is not to try and run PO from CCleaner Portable.

PS, Disk Analyzer and Browser Plugins both open from the Welcome screen in the Portable here, and work as expected. (I didn't fully test the plugins though).
Capture2.PNG

8 hours ago, nukecad said:

Actually it doesn't.

You can run a Custom Clean or an Analyze straight from the buttons on the Welcome screen
(OK you will need an extra click if you want to change the ticks/unticks. How often do you do that?)

Yes, it does!

When I open CCleaner I want to see this:OldView.thumb.png.c073bc1623f0f2201c89094f169d434c.png

I VERY frequently make changes to the various selections.

Now I see this:

NewView.thumb.png.d21df372970d319ffdb82cfe0048f2e0.png

which requires me to click "Customize" to access the various selection options.

Edited by tzdvl

• Moderators

Which is exactly what I said above - you even quoted it.

• Moderators

I don't think that's likely to happen.

Personally I've already got used to it and just click 'Run' or 'Analayze' or 'Customise', or whatever else I want to do, before that guff on the right has even loaded.

• 2 weeks later...