Welcome back to CCleaner Professional ???

Wisewiz

18 minutes ago, nukecad said:

You know what makes me laugh?

The ony real issue with this new screen, apart from the look, is that in a very limited number of circumstances where you want to change the Custom Clean ticks/unticks before cleaning then you have to make one extra click.

Otherwise the 'Run Cleaner' and 'Analyze' buttons are right there, (or 'Scan' if you have Health Check set as your homepage) and you can click them before the guff on the right has even loaded.

People have been (and still are) messing about with the registry, firewalls, host files, and who knows what else just for the sake of how a screen looks.
How many extra clicks worth of time would you say all that was that you have been wasting?

You misunderstand , this new

welcome screen junk page

(as people have been calling It )

brings up an error message ccleaner has stopped working . See image above.

If you have task schedule to run

ccleaner/AUTOSC,

CCleaner at set times of the day.

you get this 

IMG_2049.jpeg

Definitely a faulty script or a bug in v6.13 rollout 

come on guys sort this out 

/ AUTOSC is there to be used !

Edited by Trojan132
typo

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

"just for the sake of how a screen looks."

I think that captures precisely what the developers accomplished with the new splash screen.

And it's just as annoying as the splash screens of yesteryear were. But there's no switch to kill it, like the splash screen switches of most applications and utilities had.

Wisewiz

To those who have virtually none, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hazelnut said:

@nukecad

Why did Piriform change things in the first place ? Why did Piriform feel the need to put in an extra tick... I mean it's pointless.

Agreed, but it's happened and they aren't going to take it away again.

So you might as well get used to using it as it is, rather than trying to customise something that wasn't intended to be customised.

Ignore how it looks and just click the one button that is all you need to click to run a clean or an analyze.
That's no different to before, just one click.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

@Trojan132 Thanks, that command line switch error is a new one that I hadn't seen mentioned before.

Is that one you have set up yourself or is it using the 'Cleaning Schedule' option built into CCleaner ?

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not championing the change, I'm just saying that it is what it is and so we might as well all get used to it.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

32 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not championing the change, I'm just saying that it is what it is and so we might as well all get used to it.

(Oh, heavy sigh!) I'm afraid you're absolutely right, and all of this sound and fury is going to turn out to have accomplished  nothing. Well, dammit, we tried. That ought to count for something.

Thanks again for hanging in there through all of this harangue. I appreciate it.

Wisewiz

To those who have virtually none, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

@Trojan132 Thanks, that command line switch error is a new one that I hadn't seen mentioned before.

Is that one you have set up yourself or is it using the 'Cleaning Schedule' option built into CCleaner ?

Both

I use the ‘cleaning schedule’ built in option,

and also I have a 2nd cleaning about

8 hours later using task scheduler Basic task /AUTOSC

This ‘Welcome Back Screen’ gives an Error every time.

you can’t get used to something that makes the software give an error message.

I believe this is a major bug [v6.13] and has to be changed /addressed 

@Trojan132

Have you tried changing that to CCleaner[space]/AUTO ? I use that all the time. Works. But you're right: the AUTOSC thing is a bug.

Wisewiz

• Moderators

I just tried it with the built in scheduler and it ran as expected here and gave a notification when it had finished, (Which is what I had set).

image.png

EDIT- Set it again this time with Health Check rather than Custom Clean and that ran with no problem too.

EDIT2- Just ran both /AUTO and then /AUTOSC on a desktop shortcut and they also both ran without problem.
The /Auto ran silently so there was no real need for the S. (If I remember correctly from an old thread CCleaner now adds the S itself anyway)

EDIT3- For completeness I also ran both /AUTO and then /AUTOSC in a command window, and then from batch files - again they both ran without problem.

I did have a space between CCleaner.exe and the /Auto (or /Autosc)  parameter everytime.
If you don't have a space there then that could be the problem?

"If you don't have a space there then that could be the problem?"

Yep. I think so.

Wisewiz

16 hours ago, nukecad said:

I just tried it with the built in scheduler and it ran as expected here and gave a notification when it had finished, (Which is what I had set).

image.png

EDIT- Set it again this time with Health Check rather than Custom Clean and that ran with no problem too.

EDIT2- Just ran both /AUTO and then /AUTOSC on a desktop shortcut and they also both ran without problem.
The /Auto ran silently so there was no real need for the S. (If I remember correctly from an old thread CCleaner now adds the S itself anyway)

EDIT3- For completeness I also ran both /AUTO and then /AUTOSC in a command window, and then from batch files - again they both ran without problem.

I did have a space between CCleaner.exe and the /Auto (or /Autosc)  parameter everytime.
If you don't have a space there then that could be the problem?

So I believe the bug is in 6.13, and in Ccleaner professional 64bit

In the menu go to:

options /cleaning schedule /

set up a cleaning schedule.

This creates a task schedule BUT DOES NOT include the quotes …..

“C:\Programe Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe” /AUTO 

I added the quotes “ “ manually and it’s working fine with the new welcome screen, without the error message appearing on screen.

• Moderators

And yet it runs fine without the quotes here, this is the one I set up last night (for Health Check, with a notification) and it ran without problem.

Which suggests that it's a difference in our Windows setups.

image.png

23 minutes ago, nukecad said:

And yet it runs fine without the quotes here, this is the one I set up last night (for Health Check, with a notification) and it ran without problem.

Which suggests that it's a difference in our Windows setups.

image.png

Strange -

anyway guys thanks for the convo input 

nice to meet you all 

Btw I emailed Piriform support, and they never replied to a fully paid £45 a year member !

Did you tell them you have a license? It's unusual for them not to reply within about 24 hours at most.

Maybe try sending it again, with your license key added to it.

Wisewiz

57 minutes ago, Wisewiz said:

Did you tell them you have a license? It's unusual for them not to reply within about 24 hours at most.

Maybe try sending it again, with your license key added to it.

Yes of course I did

name

email Address 

License number 

Expire date April 2024

order number 

Just updated my Portable install to V.14.x. I still have only four (LM) and two (CU) entries in CCleaner in my registry, and there's still no Welcome Back screen

Wisewiz

2 hours ago, Wisewiz said:

Just updated my Portable install to V.14.x. I still have only four (LM) and two (CU) entries in CCleaner in my registry, and there's still no Welcome Back screen

Hi Wisewiz:

Do you mean that you updated to CCleaner Free Portable v6.14.10584 (rel. 19-Jul-2023) and the Welcome Back screen still doesn't appear as long as the registry edit you suggested in your 24-Feb-2023 post <here> to change the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Piriform | CCleaner | (Cfg)WelcomeScreen from 1 to 0 is still 0? 

Have you tried updating your CCleaner Pro v6.13 to 6.14 to see if the value of (Cfg)WelcomeScreen reverts back to its default value of 1?
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3208 * Firefox v115.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23050.5-1.1.23060.1005 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.33.272-1.0.2069 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.13.10517

@lmacriHi there, you ol' fellow Canuck,

I think you may have missed some of the history of this way-too-long thread. Here's the long story made short: I got tired of fighting with the Welcome screen and the registry, so I uninstalled CCleaner Professional (it was the Portable, but I entered my license), took all of the traces out of File Explorer, deleted both Piriform keys in the registry (HKCU and HKLM) completely, and then installed the (then) latest Portable and did not enter my license key, and when I had configured the new install and pasted my previous CCleaner.ini (with all my saved cookies and a few other bits) into the new CCleaner folder (on my D:\ drive and nowhere to be seen in C:\users or in any of the C:\ programs folders), I launched the program about ten times (with no Welcome screen in sight) and then checked my registry and found only two Dword values (the old Cfg ones) in HKCU and only four in HKLM, no "(Cfg)Welcome Screen" among them.

I didn't update to v.14, I just overwrote the old Portable files with the new ones from the CCleaner builds site. That way CCleaner is not among my "Installed Apps" in Windows 11, and my registry continues to have only the few values I mentioned above. And I haven't seen the Welcome screen in weeks, although I launch CC at least twice a day.

No, I haven't tried updating CCleaner Pro, because I got rid of that installation completely, and I'm not going back to it, even though I have three licenses, until or unless the powers-that-be announce that the Welcome screen is history. And that's not likely to happen at all, according to @nukecad above. 

I have all I use and all I need in the Portable (Custom, Registry, and the quick check on System Restore points in Tools).

Guess that wasn't so short after all. Sorry.

Dan, in Balmy Southern Ontario. 😎

Wisewiz

1 hour ago, Wisewiz said:

@lmacriHi there, you ol' fellow Canuck,

I think you may have missed some of the history of this way-too-long thread. Here's the long story made short: I got tired of fighting with the Welcome screen and the registry, so I uninstalled CCleaner Professional (it was the Portable, but I entered my license), took all of the traces out of File Explorer, deleted both Piriform keys in the registry (HKCU and HKLM) completely, and then installed the (then) latest Portable and did not enter my license key, and when I had configured the new install and pasted my previous CCleaner.ini (with all my saved cookies and a few other bits) into the new CCleaner folder (on my D:\ drive and nowhere to be seen in C:\users or in any of the C:\ programs folders), I launched the program about ten times (with no Welcome screen in sight) and then checked my registry and found only two Dword values (the old Cfg ones) in HKCU and only four in HKLM, no "(Cfg)Welcome Screen" among them.

I didn't update to v.14, I just overwrote the old Portable files with the new ones from the CCleaner builds site. That way CCleaner is not among my "Installed Apps" in Windows 11, and my registry continues to have only the few values I mentioned above. And I haven't seen the Welcome screen in weeks, although I launch CC at least twice a day.

No, I haven't tried updating CCleaner Pro, because I got rid of that installation completely, and I'm not going back to it, even though I have three licenses, until or unless the powers-that-be announce that the Welcome screen is history. And that's not likely to happen at all, according to @nukecad above. 

I have all I use and all I need in the Portable (Custom, Registry, and the quick check on System Restore points in Tools).

Guess that wasn't so short after all. Sorry.

Dan, in Balmy Southern Ontario. 😎

Piriform are going to lose a lot of money if people like you decide not to renew their license and go free

@Trojan132Hey, man: it's a little embarrassing to see my words repeated in their entirety. 🤪 How about editing that post (the dots above) and taking out part or all of that message?

Wisewiz

28 minutes ago, Trojan132 said:

Piriform are going to lose a lot of money if people like you decide not to renew their license and go free

Yeah, well, they could always phase out the Free edition. But I think they'd still have to offer the Portable for IT people who need to use CC on clients' machines. I hope they'd offer the Portable, anyway.

Wisewiz

• Moderators

Shssh, don't give them ideas.
TBH I've been expecting  the portable to go missing for a few years now, (just like the other portables did).

There is a Technician Edition for business which can be run from USB or with remote access: https://www.ccleaner.com/business/ccleaner-technician-edition

The portable on the builds page is more in the way of a favour for those who look after family/friends machines, and who know about it.
If/when I'm doing that I usually just install CCleaner Free, use it as required, and then uninstall it again.

@nukecad The next time I mention any outrageous ideas, I'll be sure to whisper. Your way is certainly practical, but I prefer carrying it on a stick. That way I leave nothing behind. Maybe. This is CCleaner, after all. Tread lightly.

Wisewiz

On 19/07/2023 at 13:48, Wisewiz said:

... I got tired of fighting with the Welcome screen and the registry, so I uninstalled CCleaner Professional (it was the Portable, but I entered my license), took all of the traces out of File Explorer, deleted both Piriform keys in the registry (HKCU and HKLM) completely, and then installed the (then) latest Portable and did not enter my license key,...I launched the program about ten times (with no Welcome screen in sight) and then checked my registry and found only two Dword values (the old Cfg ones) in HKCU and only four in HKLM, no "(Cfg)Welcome Screen" among them....

Hi Wisewiz:

Partial success.

I tried your workaround (i.e., deleting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Piriform registry keys; there were no Piriform / CCleaner files to delete in C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86) or the hidden C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData since I've never installed a "regular" version of CCleaner Free or Pro on the hard drive of my Win 10 Pro machine). I then deleted all my old CCleaner Free Portable v6.13 files on my removable USB stick (except ccleaner.ini) and downloaded and unzipped a fresh copy of the latest ccsetup614.zip on my hard drive.  I then cut and pasted three "essential" files (CCleaner64.exe, portable.dat and license.txt) to my removable USB stick in the same folder as my old ccleaner.ini file (this is what I always do when I update CCleaner Free Portable - I don't run automatic checks for new versions of CCleaner and don't need or want the rest of the unzipped files), and launched CCleaner64.exe a few times.  The folder now looks like this:

CCleanerv6_14UnzippedFilesAfterFirstLaunch20Jul2023.png.9270b5c0d297f312407d6656cdb329ba.png

The good new is that I'm no longer seeing the "Welcome to CCleaner" startup screen (at least not for now).  The bad news is that all ~ 50 registry values were re-created in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner, which is what Crni reported in their 13-Jul-2023 post <here> .  Here's a partial list of my current registry values, and note that "(Cfg)WelcomeScreen" now has a value of 0 instead of 1 since the clean reinstall, although I don't know how long that is going to last.

CCleanerv6_14RegistryHKLMCCleanerAfterCleanupand1stLaunch20Jul2023.png.ad66a5e2545ce060cd7349bbe674af9b.png

I'm not sure if I missed a step in your instructions, but I don't know why you only have the four registry values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner that are shown in your 13-Jul-2023 post <here> when I still have ~ 50.  I don't think the fact that I used the latest ccsetup614.zip for my clean reinstall should make a difference.

I did check at Options | Advanced and confirmed that "Save all settings to INI" is checked, although that option is greyed out and cannot be unchecked.  Perhaps that's because I've always used the Free edition of CCleaner Portable - greyed out options typically mean the option can only be changed in Pro editions of CCleaner.
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3208 * Firefox v115.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23050.5-1.1.23060.1005 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.33.272-1.0.2069 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.14.10584

15 minutes ago, lmacri said:

I'm not sure if I missed a step in your instructions, but I don't know why you only have the four registry values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner that are shown in your 13-Jul-2023 post <here> when I still have ~ 50. 

Me, neither! I tried to be precise in my description of what I did, but it's possible that either you or I missed a step. I'm still thinking about it.

And of course I'll report here if anything changes on either of my drivers.

Wisewiz