Welcome back to CCleaner Professional ???

Wisewiz

Every time I open CCleaner, I get this annoying window:

Clipboard01.jpg.36644256af8e6009380e66f2bd036704.jpg

How can I put an end to this? I only get it on one of my three paid-for installations of CCleaner, and I'd prefer not to get it on any of them.

Wisewiz

To those who have virtually none, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.

@fidget77

Hi, Fidget,

It's easy if you're comfortable with registry editing. (If not, be sure to have a backup image before you change anything in the registry.)

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner and you'll find (Cfg)WelcomeScreen there. Right-click on (Cfg)WelcomeScreen and click Modify. A new panel will open with the number 1 highlighted. Just type 0 (zero, that is) and click OK, then close the registry editor, and that should stop the "Welcome Back" screen from annoying you.

Best regards,

Dan (Wisewiz)

Wisewiz

To those who have virtually none, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.

I fixed it by reinstalling CCleaner, Will have to recheck registry too now. I'm fine with editing it. I was thinking I had to edit ccleaner.ini file instead because I always have ticked: "Save all settings to INI file" in CCleaner options. I've never seen these registry options. Good to know... Tyvm ^^

Edited by fidget77

Fidget, 

“Save all settings to INI file” doesn’t mean   “Put no settings in the registry.” At least for CCleaner run internally (i.e., not from a flash drive). My Professional has a LOT of information in the reg at the key I sent you to in my last post, even though I get my updates from the Builds site, and I use the Portable versions exclusively. I think I just muddle things by using the Portable and using my Pro key at the same time. Don’t worry about it.

Wisewiz

You are absolutely right! Welcome back screen reappeared. I had to go your way, I turned off welcome screen in registry. You make me wonder If I should use Portable version now.  I use portable version for all other Piriform products but for CCleaner I'm scared of the new CCleanerPerformanceOptimizerService that runs in the background. It puts all my programs to sleep through Performance Optimizer. I have dozens of programs there like Onedrive, Dropbox, Teamviewer, Java, Nvidia services, Realtek, Apple, Wondershare, etc. I adore it! What do you think? Are you using Pro version as Portable? Which Portable version are you using? I use a combo of  PortableApps.com and SyMenu. CCleaner Portable is there on both! I also use CCEnhancer...

Edited by fidget77

@fidget77

When I get an update notice (I have auto-update turned OFF) in my CCleaner window, I close the window and go to https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds, where I'll find two Free versions with installers, a Slim version, and, at the bottom, the Portable version. The Portable comes in a .zip file. You just unzip that file by double-clicking it, and you'll see Extract All in the toolbar at the top of the File Explorer window. When you click Extract All, it will ask you for a "destination," and that's the folder you have CCleaner in. I have all of my 35 or so programs -- except for a couple that fight to be installed on C:\ -- (and all my "folder" stuff like documents, downloads, and pictures) installed (not REALLY installed, because they're portable and standalone programs that run without installation) on my D:\ drive, to keep my System drive (C:\) as system-only as I can keep it, so my CCleaner files are at D:\Utilities I\CCleaner Portable, and that's where I "Extract All" to.

Given the choice, I'd always prefer downloading program files from the developer's site, but that's just me. (But PortableApps.com is a great site and does a great service, by the way.)

If I've left anything unanswered, please ask again.

Dan (Wisewiz)

Wisewiz

Oh, I forgot this: After you install the portable (assuming you have a license key), you open the program (which will say CCleaner Free at the top), click Options, and then click License Key. It'll show you your registered key codes and name, and when you confirm, it will change CCleaner Free to CCleaner Professional in the title bar.

Wisewiz

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm REALLY annoyed now! On one (and only one) of my three computers with licensed CCleaner on them, this ridiculous "Welcome back to CCleaner" screen pops up repeatedly, even after I have gone in to the registry on that machine and changed the Welcome screen value to 0 (from 1) a dozen times.

Why can't I get that screen out of my sight (and out of my CCleaner) and keep it GONE ???

Wisewiz

I just posted the similar question…..and someone referred me to your post. 

I have a desktop with Windows 10 that has had CCleaner on it for >10 years…….at times licensed….but currently not signed in and not licensed.  It does NOT get this message.  It has been updated regularly over the years as needed when new versions or updated come out.  

I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11, and loaded last week CCleaner of the same version as on the desktop (also free version and not signed in) and I have been getting that start screen from your photo.  I cannot figure out why I get it on one PC but not the other.  

I guess if it starts to annoy me, I could try the regedit thing…..but has anyone found any other way to get rid of it? 

I'm waiting to see whether one of the experts here on the Forum will sweep in with a solution, or at least an explanation for why it happens on one PC and not another. If the latter, we may be able to do something to correct the situation on the PC that keeps getting the "Welcome" message.

Wisewiz

The same thing happens to me. On my PC and laptop, there is no welcome screen. On my dad's PC the welcome screen keeps coming back. I think it is a version of CCleaner that did this! Aka, we skipped an update on the PC that the welcome screen does not appear! I can't access my dad's PC atm to check this. Try uninstalling with revo uninstaller and reinstall, also overwrite files with the PC one's w/o the welcome screen. Let me know,  If I fix this I will let you know, as well!

Thanks. Looking forward to your news.

Wisewiz

I recently had similar thing happen with my security software……where it ran differently on my desktop and laptop and after calling tech support, it came down to the “send developer analytics” check box.  The thing was, it was unchecked on BOTH devices….but for some reason not registering as unchecked on my laptop……so had to run repair on the install….and now both computers work the exact same. 

• Moderators

I've never seen it on either of my two laptops.
I do have the reg entry - it's off, and stays off.

So while I can't try and test directly I can think of a cople of things.
It's especially interesting for those who see it on one machine but not others, they have something to compare so may be better able to track it down.

One thing that might be worth checking for those who see it on some machines but not others is if the CCleaner licence keys on each are older style (24-character) or the newer style (20-character, 3 groups of 6 plus the two dashes).
Of course for Pro+ it may be the same key used on more than one machine.
Which is another possibility, is it only happing with multi-machine  Pro+?
I can't think of any reason why any of that should make a difference, but when odd things happen you have to start looking for odd causes and ruling them out if you can.
Looking at CCleaner itself has to be first, Windows can have too many oddities altogether.
(For info both my laptops use an old style CCleaner key, same key on both).

There again it may not be CCleaner at all but something subtly different in the Windows setup on each machine, or in user account permissions, or something of that nature.

(Plus you can't rule out just what the user may be doing, we have seen in the past users changing things like firewall settings which then cause CCleaner to behave oddly because it can't connect to servers when it wants/needs to).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

@nukecad

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread and share your thoughts on the issue. I’m just hoping that Piriform, in its wisdom, will remove this “feature” in the next update. I can’t imagine that anyone actually wants to be welcomed back to their computer program. The CCleaner utility is not a social platform; it’s a purely functional, albeit valuable, tool, and nobody really wants to have a social exchange with a tool.

I hope you have a great day. Thanks again.

Dan

Wisewiz

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Wisewiz said:

nobody really wants to have a social exchange with a tool.

Made me chuckle, there are plenty of 'tools' on social media I generally ignore them.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Truer words were never spoken.

Wisewiz

In answer to the question above……mine are both not even signed in, and with no license on either.   One machine is WIndows 10 (the one that goes directly to the customize cleaning screen)……and the other one is Window 11 (the one that goes to the dumbed down launch/welcome screen)

Thanks for your input. 

10 hours ago, tachy said:

In answer to the question above……mine are both not even signed in, and with no license on either.   One machine is WIndows 10 (the one that goes directly to the customize cleaning screen)……and the other one is Window 11 (the one that goes to the dumbed down launch/welcome screen)

Thanks for your input. 

Have you tried uninstalling (either through Revo or not), reinstalling, comparing registries and ini files?

The only differences I can find in registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner) are the Patches key and the StateSig key. So, there must be a different version between the 2 machines. Both show CCleaner v6.09.10300 (64-bit) at the menu though...

• Moderators
13 hours ago, tachy said:

mine are both not even signed in, and with no license on either.

And yet the landing page message being discussed here is "Welcome back to CCleaner Professional".

So if you are seeing it in CCleaner Free then that's very odd indeed.
(And that might be a clue to what is going on).

Are you seeing exactly the same screen as in the first post of this thread?
Or does yours say 'CCleaner Free' at the top and then "Welcome back to CCleaner Professional" in the window?

@nukecad

Well, that's an interesting new take on what's going on here. The machine of mine that won't hold the 0 (zero) in (Cfg) WelcomeScreen is CCleaner Portable with a license key registered (which makes it show CCleaner Professional). But both my machine that won't hold the setting and my other main machine that WILL and DOES hold it are CC Portable but with my Plus key registered. Both machines have portable.dat in their CC folders.

BTW, I think the only thing I've accomplished by using the portable versions (and registering my license) is that CCleaner doesn't show up in my "Installed Apps" lists. I had hoped to keep it from writing to the registry, but that hope was dashed.

Wisewiz

• Moderators

Possibly not so interesting.

I now believe that @tachyis seeing a different version of the screen that is for the Free version.
See here: https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/64358-ccleaner-startup-screen/

The fact that your CCleaners' are portable versions, but apparently on the machines and not a USB stick, may be having a bearing on your 3 machines?
The portable version isn't meant to be used in that way, So any coding/development wouldn't take account of someone possibly doing that.
(Is there any reason why you haven't gone ahead and deleted the portable.dat then installed them properly now that your hopes for the registry have been dashed?)