CCleaner 6.00.9727 keeps reporting Firefox cleaning?

• Moderators

Do you have any firefox clone browsers? Which browser do you use? Could firefox have been installed by another user?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Steve1209 said:

I have other browsers installed but never use or open them, like Opera, Chrome, Firefox

O_o if it's installed that's why it shows up

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

If Firefox is installed then CCleaner will analyze it and say that it's analyzing it.

It will always analyze it just to see if you have been using it and if there is anything to clean.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have Firefox installed BUT I never open it.  I also have Chrome and Opera installed and NEVER open them either, Firefox keeps reporting it's cleaning at times, Chrome and Opera don't and I use Edge Chromium only so it reports cleaning of course.  I still don't understand why suddenly Firefox reports cleaning, I must be missing something?  Is this a bug?

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Steve1209 said:

I have Firefox installed BUT I never open it.  I also have Chrome and Opera installed and NEVER open them either, Firefox keeps reporting it's cleaning at times, Chrome and Opera don't and I use Edge Chromium only so it reports cleaning of course.  I still don't understand why suddenly Firefox reports cleaning, I must be missing something?  Is this a bug?

Not a bug, deleting empty databases which recreate themselves after

firefox has a "scheduled task" that runs once every 24 hours, supposedly. if you haven't disabled the scheduled task from running, that could be why ccleaner finds something related to firefox to clean.

here is an article about firefox's "scheduled task" that runs once every 24 hours:

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/04/09/mozilla-installs-scheduled-telemetry-task-on-windows-with-firefox-75/

you can disable the firefox scheduled task, or delete it. i delete it.

it would be a good idea for you to go through firefox's settings and adjust them all to your liking. the same with the microsoft edge-chromium browser and the google chrome browser.

you said that you use the microsoft edge-chromium browser, so you should be aware that the microsoft edge-chromium browser has processes that run in the background, unless you have disabled them. the same goes for the google chrome browser.

other than firefox's scheduled task that runs once every 24 hours, that i mentioned, i am not aware of firefox's having any processes that run in the background.

Hi Steve1209:

I don't want CCleaner cleaning anything in my Firefox browser but I noticed that the "Bookmarks" option was automatically enabled for Firefox (and other Firefox forks like Pale Moon, Waterfox, etc.) after I updated to CCleaner Portable v5.92 - see image below.  I haven't updated to Firefox v6.00 yet to see if additional Firefox cleaning has been added, but the release notes at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history for v5.92 state in part that "We added cleaning of bookmark backups in Edge and Firefox".

1490072105_CCleaner5_92CustomCleanNewFirefoxBookmarkCleaningEnabledbyDefault13Apr2022.png.d797e4c089aae459561a62552a129f9a.png

I only use the Custom Clean function of CCleaner and I was able to disabled this bookmark cleaning at Custom Clean | Applications tab | Firefox before it did any damage, but if you use the Health Check function I suspect that cleaning of Firefox (or other Firefox forks like Pale Moon, Waterfox, etc.) is included there as well.  If you use Health Check see the support article I’m Using Health Check. Can I Customize What is Being Cleaned?.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v101.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1689 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.92.9652
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Well, it's seems Firefox was updating itself (not because I opened it) and that option caused the cleaning, I stopped all options for updates (I never added them) and the cleaning seems not to be happening now, Thankyou for al the helpful suggestions....

3 hours ago, Steve1209 said:

Well, it's seems Firefox was updating itself (not because I opened it) and that option caused the cleaning, I stopped all options for updates (I never added them) and the cleaning seems not to be happening now, Thankyou for al the helpful suggestions....

i forgot that mozilla added that to firefox (build 90). apparently it also is run by a "scheduled task":

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-background-updates-firefox-windows

5 hours ago, Steve1209 said:

Well, it's seems Firefox was updating itself (not because I opened it) and that option caused the cleaning, I stopped all options for updates (I never added them) and the cleaning seems not to be happening now....

1 hour ago, redwolfe_98 said:

i forgot that mozilla added that to firefox (build 90). apparently it also is run by a "scheduled task":

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-background-updates-firefox-windows

Hi Steve1209:

I'm not sure I follow. I know I can configure my Firefox browser to clean my browsing history on exit with two settings - namely Privacy & Security | Browser Privacy | Cookies and Site Data | Delete Cookies and Site Data When Firefox is Closed as well as Privacy & Security | Browser Privacy | History | Use Custom Settings for History | Clear History When Firefox Closes | Settings....

Are you saying that having background updating enabled at General | Firefox Updates | Allow Firefox to | Automatically Install Update | When Firefox is Not Running so that Firefox updates in the background (i.e., even when Firefox.exe is not running and the browser is closed) can also trigger Firefox to clean items like your browsing and download history, cookies, cache, etc?

You said in your original post that "CCleaner keeps reporting it's cleaning" your Firefox browserIf this happens again would you be able to capture a screenshot of the pop-up? There are all sorts of programs besides CCleaner that can clean your Firefox history.  For example, I believe Norton 360 and other Norton antivirus programs (which I no longer use) have a scheduled background task at Settings | Administrative Settings | Firefox Cleanup that will automatically clean your Firefox history.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v101.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1689 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.92.9652
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Moderators
3 hours ago, lmacri said:

Are you saying that having background updating enabled at General | Firefox Updates | Allow Firefox to | Automatically Install Update | When Firefox is Not Running so that Firefox updates in the background (i.e., even when Firefox.exe is not running and the browser is closed) can also trigger Firefox to clean items like your browsing and download history, cookies, cache, etc?

Depending on your settings, Firefox background updating will run on a schedule (so even if FFx is not open) and will download the files required to update Firefox.

Those files then run and update Firefox the next time that you launch it.

A similar thing happens if FFx is open, the automatic update setting will download the files in the background but won't install the update until next time you close-reopen FFx.
If you do manual updates instead then when you manually update it downloads the files and asks if you want to restart Firefox there and then.

As part of the downloading of the update files some temporary files are also created (in the cache I think?) and it is those temporary files that CCleaner then finds to clean.

Which is what steve1209 says he was seeing, - CCleaner finding and cleaning temporary files created by scheduled background downloads of Firefox updates.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043