Not Responding

Using last XP CCleaner 5.64.0.7577 to keep an old PC cleaned out.  In the last week, ccleaner is locking up and have to Kill Task.  I unplugged the ethernet and ccleaner works normal.  Is this intentional so XP users will stop using the program?

• Moderators

I doubt that it is intentional, the 'Sunset' version is still available to download/install.

I can still run v5.64 with no problem here, (albeit on Windows 10 not on XP).

Are you running it as the Free or Pro version?

At the top of the results screen can you see what it is 'stuck' on when it locks up?
About where this shows 'Firefox, Site Preferences':
image.png

As you say it works OK for you offline then this appears to be an internet connection issue.
Have you recently changed or updated your Antivirus app/Firewall?

I'm sure that you are already aware of the security risks of using XP online so I won't go into those.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin
10 hours ago, aglennon said:

Is this intentional so XP users will stop using the program?

As the CCleaner 5.64 sunset release for XP/Vista was released over 2 years ago, that would seem rather unlikely.

Someone on here may be able to assist with your problem - but would need more information.  How long have you been using 5.64 for on that particular machine?  If this issue started recently, are there any changes that you have made to this computer at around the same time?  Are you running any antivirus software that may have updated itself?  Which Service Pack version of Windows XP are you running, and is it the "MIcrosoft official" version or a community maintained service pack.

Given the age of the computer, hardware failure is also a possibility.  have you done a CHKDSK recently?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators

Since CCleaner does phone home, I've personally seen it seem to have frozen/hang before when it can't seemingly get an outside connection to home due to the user network having an issue. So, I'm wondering if it could be as simple as merely rebooting your network hardware (modem, router, etc.,) so that the hardware gets a new IP address, etc.

Thank You for all of the input.  Free version CCleaner 5.64.0.7577   Running XP SP3 official including all last Microsoft updates.  Have not changed anything on PC.  Use Comodo Internet Security (doesn't update XP version anymore) and no applications blocked.  ATT Internet 300 connection is fine (reboot modem and gateway sometimes).  Keep my old custom Abit IC7 cleaned out.  Run Disk Cleanup and Defrag regularly and occasionally run ScanDisk (no bad sectors).  Run Comodo full scan about once a month along with Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware and Winpatrol resides in taskbar.  The old machine runs good for its age minus some web pages that won't work anymore (using last Chrome XP release).  Fully aware of security risks with XP and try to be extremely careful when browsing; mostly just email and research.  For important things like paying bills and shopping, use Win10 on laptop.  I've used CCleaner for probably 20 years - it's the number one program to keep things tidy and safe.  If I do say pay a bill, when finished, sign out of the website, clear history, close Chrome, wait a couple of minutes then run CCleaner.  This is the "safest" way I've been getting by still using XP.

• Moderators

One of the quickest ways you can check if it's any thing to do with any security type software interfering is just to boot into safe mode and run ccleaner.

I know quite a few people who use the free version, even on Win 10, kill the internet connection before running ccleaner as they don't like the 'phone home'

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

And again if you can tell us just what CCleaner is doing when it 'locks up' that should help pinpoint what the issue may be.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043