what did cc cleaner just clean from my computer

Guest johnccleaner

CCleaner doesn't store logs of what is cleaned, so there would not be a way to look back at past cleanings to see what was cleaned out.

If you're interested in viewing the results, we would recommend making use of the Custom Clean section of the program, as you can then double-click on any category in the Analysis or Cleaning Results to view the specific files.

Health Check will only show summaries, namely how much space was cleared by the Privacy and Space tasks (as well as how many programs were prevented from starting up with Windows or updated in the Speed and Security tasks, specifically), as it is intended to be a simplified interface.

(For the sake of completeness, running CCleaner with the /debug argument would cause it to create a log of all tasks it performs while running, intended for use by our support helpdesk. It's not designed to be utilized by the user, and isn't constructed to be convenient to do so, but you may use this function if preferred.)

• Moderators

CCleaner doesn't make a log unless you specifically invoked the 'debug' option from a command line (or the Windows 'Run' command).

If you would like to say what issue running CCleaner has caused for you then we should be able to tell you how to avoid it in future.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

mainly, what ccleaner would clean would be browser-caches and temp folders. it doesn't hurt anything to clean those.

the only way that it would remove any other files would be if you used custom-settings to have ccleaner do that.

one time (22 years ago, when i was a newbie), i had trouble installing a program and the vendor's tech-support told me, to resolve the problem, try emptying  the "temp" folder, at "c:\windows\temp," and that resolved the problem(!). i have been religiously emptying the temp folders ever since. of course, that is accomplished by running ccleaner's cleaning process.

On 21/03/2022 at 12:33, redwolfe_98 said:

mainly, what ccleaner would clean would be browser-caches and temp folders. it doesn't hurt anything to clean those....

Hi Randy654:

The Firefox v79 users who had custom settings for their browser extensions accidentally wiped by CCleaner v5.79 might disagree with that blanket statement.  Sadly, circcc tried to warn Avast about this bug in their 01-Jul-2020 thread Problem with Firefox 79 when they reported that that  CCleaner v5.79 had damaged the browser extensions (e.g., uBlock Origin ad blocker, etc.) installed in their beta version of Firefox v79, but Avast did not fix the problem before the stable release of Firefox v79 was released on 28-Jul-2020.  This problem was eventually fixed in CCleaner v5.70 but as a precaution I've disabled all Firefox cleaning in my CCleaner settings and only use Firefox's built-in settings  (Tools | Options | Privacy & Security | History |Clear History When Firefox Closes | Settings) to manage cleaning of my browsing history .

I've never encountered a problem allowing CCleaner's Custom Clean to purge my temporary Windows folders (Custom Clean | Windows | System | Temporary Files | ENABLED), but that Firefox browser issue is just one example where automatically generating a log of deleted files (perhaps excluding the list of files cleaned in temporary Windows folders to reduce the size of the log) or having an Undo button that could undo changes made by the last CCleaner purge might have come in handy.

Also note that I never run Health Check on my system and only use the Custom Clean feature (Options | Settings | CCleaner Home Screen is set to "Custom Clean") so that I have full control over what is cleaned and have the option of reviewing the list of files that will be deleted before I click Run CCleaner.  I prefer to have Options | Advanced | Cleaning Results Level of Detail set to "Advanced Results" so I only see a summary of what will be cleaned after I click Analyze, but I can double-click any of the categories shown below to expand each section and review the full list of files that will be deleted when I click Run Cleaner.

1244702926_CCleaner5_90CustomCleanAdvancedDetails22Mar2022.png.22fa2dfecb0078ef674ef1772d0e1756.png

-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1586 * Firefox v98.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2202.4-1.1.19000.8 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.6.180-1.0.1634 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.90.9443
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Moderators
20 hours ago, lmacri said:

The Firefox v79 users who had custom settings for their browser extensions accidentally wiped by CCleaner v5.79 might disagree with that blanket statement.

That's why everyone should learn how to make backup copies of their web browser profile(s) and do it regularly -- I've lost count how many times that's saved me from a cleaning tool cleaning too much, and the rare web browser update that breaks something.