Netveda Firewall

rridgely

• Moderators

I'm bored so I started looking around freeware sites. :P

Anway I came across this program and it seems pretty good at first impression.

Usually I don't run a software based firewall because of my router but this one has me interested.

http://www.netveda.com/consumer/safetynet.htm

Screenshot

untitledsr6.th.jpg

It seems to be ok. Pretty low resource usage for a software based firewall, interface is ok(not too confusing but not the best either), and I haven't noticed it slowing anything down. If anyone is looking for a free firewall this might be one to try. I can't really say how effective it is right now because any test I run on it will hit my router first.(I'll try tomorrow)

• Moderators

Alright I tested this thing on mcaffee's hackerwatch test, GRC, and auditmypc.com and it passed all tests with flying colors. Honestly I'm awe struck with this program. Its extreamly light on resources(only uses like 1200k) and has all the features you could ever ask for. The installer is only 6mb as well.

It keeps detailed logs and has parental controls/filters for cookies,sites, pictures, ect. It has network controls(which I have not tested) but they seem easy enough to use. I cant believe how good this program is.

All I can say is this program is amazing. I think I'll run it now just for the fact that its not using any resouces and works. Also to disable all the annoying notifictations right click the icon it the system tray and choose to disable alerts, or you can customize which ones to show by choosing options.

rridgely,

Is this one of the "install it and forget it" variety (aside from allowing applications access as they come up), like Sygate tends to be? I'm talking about for the typical home user with no LAN. Thanks.

• Moderators

rridgely,

Is this one of the "install it and forget it" variety (aside from allowing applications access as they come up), like Sygate tends to be? I'm talking about for the typical home user with no LAN. Thanks.

Yes once you install it and select the right settings all you should be notified about is new programs accessing the internet. (you can turn off all the notifications like ZA and just look at the logs later). I have honestly nothing bad to say about this program. Resource usage is almost nothing, simple to use, small download. Its almost too good.

• Moderators

A good find rridgely, this will be staying on my hdd!

(you can turn off all the notifications like ZA and just look at the logs later). I have honestly nothing bad to say about this program.

Yeah the notifications are annoying, a quick right click of the systray icon and unticking Show Alerts shuts it up.

The only slightly bad thing I have to say about it is that during installation or immediately after configuration it should disable Windows Firewall or at the least open "%windir%\system32\firewall.cpl" so that it can be done manually. Although that's an easy fix for anyone to do it's just that not everyone is going to think of disabling Windows Firewall.

Edit:

After trying Safety.net out for sometime already if it wasn't free for personal usage I'd actually be willing to purchase it.

• Moderators

i just found out something interesting. it has an option to block ads :P. but i wonder how effective that is.

edit: wow. i am loving this program more and more. i just found out where the bad site list is. now to modify it :)

I don't know how effective it is, however I just modified the hpHOSTS HOSTS File by having metapad remove all the 127.0.0.1 entries, and then saved it as a text document in my C:\Temp folder, then imported it into the firewall. And now the firewall is using the hpHOSTS HOSTS File list. Note: If you do attempt to use a downloadable HOSTS file make sure you search for and remove sites you like to visit because they may blocked.

I would've like to also use the MVPS.org HOSTS File but there's no way I'm not going to spend hours, or days editing it to remove all the comments they place next to entries.

• Moderators

I don't have the slightest ideal if listings from Adblock would work since some of them are using some funky looking wildcards, and the firewall states to input URL's.

there's a pro version of it.

http://www.netveda.com/consumer/safetynet_pro.htm

Yeah, but the free version is rather nice.

Now trying to figure out how to save my configuration!

Why would you guide a person that is new to computers to a"free firewall".You know some poor soul will use it.Maybe it is a decent firewall but the chance of that is remote.You could of told them to try them to google free firewall and they could of picked-up a decent firewall!!! Steven Hogden

hey there stuvvx.

nobody said you have to use a firewall other than windows.

coming from the comments about it, im gonna try it out because others think its decent.

zone alarm and sygate come up on a google search which are also some pretty good firewalls.

• Moderators

Why would you guide a person that is new to computers to a"free firewall".You know some poor soul will use it.Maybe it is a decent firewall but the chance of that is remote.You could of told them to try them to google free firewall and they could of picked-up a decent firewall!!! Steven Hogden

What is a decent firewall to you?

Just because a program isn't well known dosen't mean its not good.

Also who said I was talking to new users? I made this topic to discuss this program and tell the users of this forum about it(most of which are not brand new to computers). Since you obviously didn't even try netveda then how can you say its not better then any other firewall?

If someone came on the forum and said they were brand spanking new to the internet and wanted a firewall then I would have told them to just use the windows one or try out ZA and then when they learn a little more try out netveda.

note to everyone: when you use the firewall, the icon will have a shield with a teal background. this is because it is not configures. you will need to select which adapter that you use to use some parts of the firewall. once you do that, no more teal background on the tray icon :D

• Moderators

note to everyone: when you use the firewall, the icon will have a shield with a teal background. this is because it is not configures. you will need to select which adapter that you use to use some parts of the firewall. once you do that, no more teal background on the tray icon :D

That's exactly what had me perplexed for a couple of minutes until I figured out I needed to select a network adapter. Actually if the not configured icon didn't look so horrible I probably would've never selected the adapter, however the mouse-over stated it wasn't configured so I knew I needed to complete the config. Thank goodness for it's ugly systray icon when not configured.

This firewall on the surface may look a bit confusing however when using it's included Help file, and Operations Guide .pdf file everything is explained well enough to a certain degree.