Splitting Threads

krit86lr

I have a question. It is often requested for threads to be split once they've gone to a different topic, and it's never done. Does this forum just not do that sort of thing? It would be helpful to know so that I can stop asking. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

It can be done but personally its not something I like doing. Usually when a thread starts turning into a different topic its something coherently related to the first topic and you can see where the discussion spinned off to another. I think its better to leave the topic alone and let it evolve into another good discussion rather than cut it off. Moving posts around gets confusing and annoying(for the poster and the mover :P).

On lots of forums they have topics where they just combine all they're random topics together and instead of being an interesting thing to read as a whole it just makes no sense. That to me ruins the feel of the community/forum overall. Being worried where something is posted is sorta silly in my mind, but I know some take it really seriously.

An example of a thread I wouldn't split would be if someone asked about wireless routers and it evolved into a discussion about hardware firewalls and which are better/worse ect. Now if the topic was about routers and a disscusion about music broke out in the middle then yeah that thread could be split. To me its just better to let discusions continue then try to control them. After all at this point I think most of the regulars here just come here to talk to one another anyway, with a little tech help on the side. :D

To be honest when I see someone ask for a thread to be split in the middle of a topic I usually forget because I will respond to the thread and then wait for a response to my post and in the rush I just forget. If you honestly feel that a thread just must be split send me or TwistedMetal a PM saying where to split the thread at and what to call the new one.

• Moderators

it'd also be nice to be able to rename the thread to help searching too, or if someone just does a typo.

mr. g block that feature?

That actually might be disabled. I don't know for sure though. The way I do is by clicking the edit button and then the full edit button on the first post of the topic.(you have to be the topic stater.)

To me its just better to let discusions continue then try to control them. After all at this point I think most of the regulars here just come here to talk to one another anyway, with a little tech help on the side. :D

That requires a split thread. LOL ;)

Maybe most regulars do come here to talk to one another with a little tech help on the side, and maybe not. Who cares though?

The point is...well you answered it. Thanks. :)

And now I will be expecting responses to those types of PMs. LOL

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

That actually might be disabled. I don't know for sure though. The way I do is by clicking the edit button and then the full edit button on the first post of the topic.(you have to be the topic stater.)

yup, its disabled, you should talk to mr G bout that.

i dont know how many times ive screwed up the name and hated myself cuz i didnt double check it!

yup, its disabled, you should talk to mr G bout that.

i dont know how many times ive screwed up the name and hated myself cuz i didnt double check it!

No.

Just type slower next time, think about what you're saying and don't post some random junk just because you want a +1 count.

• Moderators

It proves rridgely's point that some threads just naturally evolve.

Exactly, and it would be a never ending chore for the mod's and admin to constantly split up threads that have as you've perfectly stated just naturally evolve, and I think pretty much most regular to frequent forum members have and do fall into the category of being a reason a thread might be split. Although many forum rules state stay on-topic, who really follows that recommendation 100% of the time in 100% of all posts they make.

But if some people want threads to be 100% Robot Efficient with no human interaction, and if the tiniest shift from being on-topic goes even slightly into an off-topic discussion which causes a thread to get split then so be it. I've personally seen such Robot Efficiency for years on other forums and they lack any kind of friendliness to them, and I'd have a better time reading a manual on how to watch paint dry.

it'd also be nice to be able to rename the thread to help searching too, or if someone just does a typo.

mr. g block that feature?

Almost every bit of this forum runs on the defaults for an IPB install. That's why so many things are not enabled that many others already have enabled.