PlayStation 3 Production Begins

PS3

Taiwanese Manufacturing Giant Asustek Computer, one of the world?s largest producers of computer components, has reportedly begun shipping Sony PlayStation 3 game consoles to Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

The fact that the consoles are being manufactured and shipped indicates that the hardware specifications have been finalized and the launch will take place on schedule in mid-November.

The Chinese-language Apple Daily and Commercial Times newspaper reported late on Tuesday that Asustek Computer started shipments of PlayStation 3 (PS3) game consoles in small volume in the beginning of July, according to DigiTimes web-site.

According to a report, about 200 thousand component sets were shipped to Asus in June, which means that the company is set to manufacture 200 thousand game consoles. It is also said that in July the Taiwanese manufacturer will receive higher amount of component sets for the PS3, while in September and October the company will get "more than one million [component] sets.

Sony promised to have 2 million PlayStation 3 consoles available during the launch window (Mid November ?06) and ship 4 million PS3s worldwide by the end of 2006. By March 2007 the company plans to supply 6 million game consoles to the market.

Foxconn Electronics, the largest manufacturer of connectors for use in PCs in Taiwan, and a leading manufacturer of connectors and cable assemblies in the world, is also projected to build the next-generation game consoles for Sony. However, the news-paper did not unveil any shipment schedules for the company, claiming that the company will start assembly operations "when demand rises", perhaps indicating the company as a stand-by manufacturer of Sony?s.

The two versions of the PlayStation 3 game consoles ? for $499 and $599 ? will be launched on 11th of November in Japan and on the 17th of November in Australia, Europe, U.S. and other regions.

source from - http://www.ps3portal.com/ps3/article/460.html

will you be getting one? i sure am.

• Moderators

I'll buy one AFTER Final Fantasy 7's remake comes out

7's to the plural man, "there's supposedly going to be multiple FF7 games."

-------

Expensive the PS3 may be, however what isn't in this world of inflation!

if you want to upgrade yourself to a Blu-Ray Player (BD) and getting it cheap then buying the PS3 is the way to go.

buying the BD on its own is more expensive then getting the PS3.

• Moderators

Well that's until Blu-Ray becomes more like the current DVD media and drives which are inexpensive, however that'll take several years. So you're saying that PS3 games are going to be on BD discs? Holy s**t, if they are I'd love to see and play a true hi-definition Final Fantasy game, well I'd have to get the proper t.v. for that though.

Have you read the reviews? HD-DVD > Blu-Ray. And HD-DVD is half the price of Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray is Betamax 2.

By your logic HD-DVD is better than Blu Ray, therefore HD-DVD is the equivalent of Betamax and therefore HD-DVD will succeed. Unfortunately I think you'll find Betamax was better than VHS and died!

By your logic HD-DVD is better than Blu Ray, therefore HD-DVD is the equivalent of Betamax and therefore HD-DVD will succeed. Unfortunately I think you'll find Betamax was better than VHS and died!

HD-DVD will succed. The reason I say Blu-Ray is the next Betamax is because they are both made by Sony.

im not spewing false information.

the conversation will be more alive when comparing the 360 and the PS3 side by side. have you compared the specs side by side?

im not spewing false information.

the conversation will be more alive when comparing the 360 and the PS3 side by side. have you compared the specs side by side?

I bet you know nothing about the specs.

If you want, try and prove me wrong.

well you should compare the specs side by side and see what those 2 consoles had to offer before spewing false information

xbox 360 specs

PS3 Specs

PS3 Technical Specifications

| Date Posted: 13 April 2005

The Xbox 360 System Specifications

By: C?sar A. Berardini - "Cesar"

May 12th, 2005

Old news. Show me something more recent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

GI: What do you like about working on the PS3? How about the Xbox 360? Will there be any major differences between the two versions?

H?gdahl: So far the two versions look pretty much the same – quite unsurprisingly, since we use the same shader source code and content for both platforms. They will be identical gameplay-wise. There will only be very minor cosmetic differences, such as the PS3 will have better quality video for the in-game TVs and on the Xbox 360 we have a bit more room for textures in memory.

http://www.gameinformer.com/Magazine/Insid....1042.51750.htm :D