[SOLUTION] CCleaner cannot fully clean Microsoft Edge (due to pre-loading)

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Overview

Sometimes CCleaner isn't able to fully clean Edge and shows a message about 'Edge Pre-loading'. This help topic gives a simple option to get around this issue so Edge can be fully cleaned by CCleaner.

Microsoft introduced a feature to Edge which keeps tabs 'pre-loaded' in the background when you close Edge, allowing Edge to load more quickly. When CCleaner cleans Edge, it needs to close content databases to clean it, so if you want Edge fully cleaned, you need to disable the 'pre-loading' feature in Edge. Unfortunately, there is no user interface for this in Edge, so it must be done by manually creating and/or editing a key in the Windows Registry.

Below are two options for achieving this: (thanks to Andavari for compiling these)

1. Recommended: a semi-automated process where you can import a pre-configured Registry key to the correct location
  2. For Experts: Instructions for manually creating a Registry key in the correct location and editing it to set the correct value

In the meantime, we are updating CCleaner to give you the option to disable Edge pre-loading on your behalf.

Automatic fix (recommended)

Download a zipped Registry Key and import it
MicrosoftEdgeBrowserDisablePreLoading_36992e405e1fd1501a0c2bf75ca146ba.zip

1. Download the ZIP file above
  2. Double click the ZIP file to unpack it
  3. Double-click the .reg file to import it
  4. Click Run at the 'Unknown Publisher' warning (this is because a member of the community made this file, it's not dangerous)
  5. Click Yes to allow the file to make changes to your device
  6. Click , this is because it was created by a member of the community
  7. Click Yes when it asks if you want to continue to add the file to the Registry
  8. Click OK and run CCleaner to fully clean Edge

Notes on the above:

• The ZIP file contains the .REG file and a brief readme document
  • The MD5 hash of the download is included in the file name for verification
  • The VirusTotal result of the file above can be found here

Manual fix (experts only)

Instructions for disabling Edge pre-loading manually
To allow CCleaner to properly clean Edge without an error dialog displayed by CCleaner these keys must be present in the registry to prevent Edge from pre-loading, the keys do not exist by default and have to be created.

1. Copy the information in the code below, and paste it into an empty Notepad window.
2. Save the file in your documents folder using the following file name including the quotes:
"Microsoft Edge Browser - Disable Pre-Loading.reg"
Double-click the .REG file, allow the UAC prompt, and then it will be imported. It's recommended that you restart your computer after importing the .REG file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Microsoft Edge browser disable pre-loading after Windows 10 (October 2018 Update).
; This allows CCleaner to properly clean Microsoft Edge after Windows 10 (October 2018 Update).

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main]
"AllowPrelaunch"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\TabPreloader]
"AllowTabPreloading"=dword:00000000

Hello @Stephen CCleaner -- quick question.  According to this thread from TenForums, the final, stable channel public release for the new chrome Edge will be out on or shortly after January 15th.  If the registry fix described above is implemented for the existing Edge, will it need to be changed for the new Edge?  Microsoft plans on hiding the old Edge very deeply in the system.  https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/146645-microsoft-details-migration-plan-new-microsoft-edge-windows-10-a.html  Thanks for any information. 

I don't do anything in the registry unless I'm really sure of what needs to be done.  The HKeys shown above need to be created and I haven't bothered with the pre-loading issue at all.  We'll see how the new Edge will work out in a couple of weeks.  Another thought -- with Windows 10 changing as frequently as it does between feature and cumulative updates, there are times when previous registry tweaks no longer work.

6 hours ago, johnywhy said:

The manual fix doesn't work for me. I think i uninstalled Edge, because it isn't listed in registry at 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge]

That is correct, because there is no default policy for Edge. You must add the registry keys and values yourself:

On 16/12/2019 at 18:03, Stephen CCleaner said:

Manual fix (experts only)

Instructions for disabling Edge pre-loading manually
To allow CCleaner to properly clean Edge without an error dialog displayed by CCleaner these keys must be present in the registry to prevent Edge from pre-loading, the keys do not exist by default and have to be created.

• Moderators

The admin created this topic from what I had originally compiled to relieve confusion, seems it's not working either. The only real solution will be for them to have something to fix the issue without people having to manually edit the registry or run a pre-compiled .reg file.

7 hours ago, APMichael said:

there is no default policy for Edge. You must add the registry keys and values yourself:

When this problem occurs, CCleaner itself doesn't link to this forum thread. It links to this web-page, which states:

To disable pre-loading of Microsoft Edge:
Navigate to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main

https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/troubleshooting/how-to-disable-pre-launching-and-pre-loading-so-ccleaner-can-fully-clean-edge

That location didn't exist in my registry-- maybe because it doesn't exist by default (in which case that ccleaner page gives wrong info, and should be corrected), or because i uninstalled Edge. I don't know. 

The automated fix shared here worked for me. Maybe the auto-fix shared here should be added to that page?

thx

• Moderators

Yeah that official CCleaner page has been outdated and wrong for over one full year now, been discussed in other topics complaining about it too.

This topic should have been locked from the get go because it's like a merry go round with multiple topics complaining about the exact same thing. Let's hope they have a real fix coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 17/12/2019 at 19:12, crizal said:

Hello @Stephen CCleaner -- quick question.  According to this thread from TenForums, the final, stable channel public release for the new chrome Edge will be out on or shortly after January 15th.  If the registry fix described above is implemented for the existing Edge, will it need to be changed for the new Edge?  Microsoft plans on hiding the old Edge very deeply in the system.  https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/146645-microsoft-details-migration-plan-new-microsoft-edge-windows-10-a.html  Thanks for any information. 

The answer is it will likely behave very differently. It's reasonably likely that the workaround won't be needed with Edge Chromium.

• Guest locked this topic
  • Andavari unpinned this topic