CCleaner 5.52.6967 Smart Cleaning bug

Hi,

I find that when closing Edge and other browsers, although I have clean with notification, it rarely notifies that it cleans. Although I think it indeed clean some cookies, at least. Also, when closing Edge and it notifies the cleaning (rare case) it says Internet Explorer and no more Edge, as it said before this version.

I can't be sure if it clean always, and if it cleans everything it should, so I would check this too.

Except if it is all my fault, of course. Do you find the same behaviour?

BR

Guest Ben CCleaner

Microsoft has a tendency to keep Edge running in the background even after closing the application, this prevents us from cleaning as the databases are locked. Next time you notice that it doesn't clean when you close the application, open task manager and check if Edge is still active.

Hey, thanks. I have checked that, and Windows closes it correctly. Edge is not the only to suffer form this, neither.

Moreover there are some other problems, as CCleaner apparently mis-identifies Edge by Internet Explorer, and it cleaned all browser just fine in previous versions.

But still, could be another problem/cause I guess...

UPDATE.

I have realized that CCleaner shows a notification telling that it has cleaned Internet Explorer when I close Outlook (!). This is strange.

I confirm that all browser are cleaned well, except Edge, which shows in task manager, BUT even when its state is swapped from running to suspended, CCleaner does not clean it. In previous versions, I know that even being Edge is suspended mode, CCleaner cleaned it...

Just in case I have disabled 'running in the background' for Edge in Windows Settings, and reboot, but nothing changes.

On 29/1/2019 at 15:46, Ben Piriform said:

Microsoft has a tendency to keep Edge running in the background even after closing the application, this prevents us from cleaning as the databases are locked. Next time you notice that it doesn't clean when you close the application, open task manager and check if Edge is still active.

The problem seems now limited to Edge only. I know that Edge keeps showing in task manager, but as always, it becomes 'suspened' after closing. When closing Edge it passes from 'running' state to 'suspened'. As I remember, this has been the case in Windows 10 normally, but CCleaner was able to clean it anyway. So what should I do nowadays? The user can't go opening task manager and closing the suspended Edge processes each time...

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Darkbluesky said:

The problem seems now limited to Edge only. I know that Edge keeps showing in task manager, but as always, it becomes 'suspened' after closing. When closing Edge it passes from 'running' state to 'suspened'. As I remember, this has been the case in Windows 10 normally, but CCleaner was able to clean it anyway. So what should I do nowadays? The user can't go opening task manager and closing the suspended Edge processes each time...

Turn off background running of edge, this should solve the problem

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I see it as part of an attempt by the big players Microsoft, Google, et-al. to prevent (certain) 3rd party programmes from working properly.

Leaving Edge 'suspended' rather than closing it means that 3rd party cleaners won't be able to clean it automatically.
(I suspect Chrome will be next on the suspension rather than full closing).

Of course if you have CC set to clean the browser on closing then it won't clean it on merely 'suspending'.
Think of 'suspending' as being similar to minimising to the taskbar, but not showing an icon on the taskbar, you wouldn't want everything in the browser cleaning when you just minimised it.

With a full run of the cleaner they could give a warning that the suspended browser needs to be closed.
CCleaner already does this with running browsers - unless you have told it to 'Hide warning messages' or used 'Do not show this message again' in which case it will just Skip the cleaning without notification.

It's not just cleaners, it's already being talked about that coming changes to Chrome will prevent most Ad-Blockers from working properly.
(And Firefox is expected to follow suit, no doubt Edge will also).

Wonder what they'll try to cripple next?
I have a Firefox add-on that cleans cookies 'on the fly' - as you exit each webpage it cleans that pages' cookies, I can't see them liking that either.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043