System Restore

Eldmannen

I wonder how to delete old system restore points in System Restore utility that come with Windows.

And if I never delete them, will they just grow all the time? :rolleyes:

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

mine ended taking up about 60 gig of space at one point. if u turn if off and on it removes all the restore points, mines off all the time now

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

Control Panel>System>System Restore>Now just reduce the percent of disk space you want to use. I think I read one time that by default it is set at 12% and to just reduce it to 4%. I'm not sure what minimum amount you would need for at least one or two restore points.

And if I never delete them, will they just grow all the time? :rolleyes:
You can use Control Panel > System > System Restore to set the maximum drivespace to be used (minimum 200MB).

I just wonder if there is any way to manually delete old ones, without have to change the size or something...

Because there is a virus in an old one I think...

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Yeah turning it off then on will do the trick.

Although this is the really slow approach you can also remove all old restore points, but keep the most recent one by using:

Disk Cleanup -> More Options -> System Restore area click: Clean up

sounds like what my dad had. it drove him crazy because he couldnt get rid of it. to do so, go to system restore then click system restore settings. on the main tab (system restore) check the box "turn off system restore on all drives." Apply. Then click yes.

*this deletes all system restore points. make sure to reboot, maybe do a couple of scans if your really worried about it, then TURN IT BACK ON if you wish.

EDIT: found this, did a search for system restore and didnt find any files but this was in the windows file.

[version]Signature="$CHICAGO$"SetupClass=BASELayoutFile=layout.inf[DefaultInstall]CopyFiles=SRFlt_files,SRSvc_files,SR_filesAddReg=SRFlt_addreg,SRSvc_addreg,SR_addregProfileItems=SRProfileRegisterDlls=SR_registerDelReg=SRSvc_delreg[DefaultInstall.Services]AddService=sr,,SRFlt_service,SRFlt_eventAddService=srservice,,SRSvc_service,SRSvc_event[uninstall]DelFiles=SRFlt_files,SRSvc_files,SR_files,SRWmi_filesDelReg=SRFlt_delreg,SRSvc_delreg,SR_delregUnregisterDlls=SR_register[uninstall.Services]DelService=srDelService=srservice[DestinationDirs]SRFlt_files=12SRSvc_files=11SR_files=11,Restore[sRFlt_files]sr.sys,,,0x10000[sRSvc_files]srclient.dll,,,0x10000srsvc.dll,,,0x10000srrstr.dll,,,0x10000[sRSvc_files.Security]"D:P(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGX;;;WD)"[sR_files]filelist.xml,,,0x10000rstrui.exe,,,0x10000srframe.mmf,,,0x10000srdiag.exe,,,0x10000[sR_files.Security]"D:P(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGX;;;WD)"[sRProfile]Name=%SR_UI_Link_Name%CmdLine=11,restore,rstrui.exeSubDir=%SR_UI_Link_SubDir%InfoTip="@%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe,-2078"DisplayResource="%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe",2048[sRFlt_service]DisplayName    = %SR_Filter_Name%ServiceType    = 2    StartType      = 0    ErrorControl   = 1    ServiceBinary  = %12%\sr.sysLoadOrderGroup = "FSFilter System Recovery"[sRSvc_service]DisplayName    = %SR_Service_Name%Description    = %SR_Service_Desc%ServiceType    = 0x20  StartType      = 2     ErrorControl   = 1     ServiceBinary  = %11%\svchost.exe -k netsvcsDependencies   = "RpcSs"[sRSvc_event]AddReg=SRSvc_event_addregDelReg=SRSvc_event_delreg[sRFlt_event]AddReg=SRFlt_event_addregDelReg=SRFlt_event_delreg[sRFlt_addreg]HKLM,"system\currentcontrolset\services\SR\Parameters","FirstRun",0x10001,1HKLM,"system\currentcontrolset\services\SR\Parameters","DontBackup",0x10001,0HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\sr.sys","",0x00000000,"FSFilter System Recovery"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\sr.sys","",0x00000000,"FSFilter System Recovery"[sRSvc_addreg]HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SRService\Parameters","ServiceDll",0x00020000,"%11%\srsvc.dll"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\SRService","",0x00000000,"Service"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\SRService","",0x00000000,"Service"[sR_addreg]HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore","DisableSR",0x10001,0HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore","CreateFirstRunRp",0x10001,0HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\Cfg","DiskPercent",0x10001,12HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\SnapshotCallbacks"HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run","SRFirstRun",,"rundll32 srclient.dll,CreateFirstRunRp"[sRSvc_event_addreg]HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\SRService","EventMessageFile",0x00020000,"%11%\srsvc.dll"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\SRService","TypesSupported",0x00010001,7[sRFlt_event_addreg]HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\SR","EventMessageFile",0x00020000,"%11%\IoLogMsg.dll;%12%\sr.sys"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\SR","TypesSupported",0x00010001,7[sRFlt_delreg]HKLM,"system\currentcontrolset\services\SR\Parameters","MachineGuid"HKLM,"system\currentcontrolset\services\SR\Parameters","Disabled"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\sr.sys"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\sr.sys"[sRSvc_delreg]HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost","SRGroup"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\SRService"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\SRService"HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\FilesToSnapshot"[sR_delreg]HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore"[sRSvc_event_delreg]HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\SRService"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\SRService","EventMessageFile"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\SRService","TypesSupported"[sRFlt_event_delreg]HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\SR","EventMessageFile"HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\SR","TypesSupported"[sR_register]11,,srclient.dll,1[strings]SR_Filter_Name  = "System Restore Filter Driver"SR_Service_Name = "System Restore Service"SR_Service_Desc = "Performs system restore functions. To stop service, turn off System Restore from the System Restore tab in My Computer->Properties"SR_UI_Link_Name    = "System Restore"SR_UI_Link_SubDir  = "Accessories\System Tools"

mine ended taking up about 60 gig of space at one point. if u turn if off and on it removes all the restore points, mines off all the time now

hmmm... <_< That isn't usually advised.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

hmmm... That isn't usually advised.

Not unless you use somethiing like Acronis. :)

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

Long time Ghost user here.Images are much more reliable.

Taken from a MS site:

Q. How do I delete restore points in System Restore?

(not much more here that the other posters have stated)

A.

You can either delete all restore points except the latest one, or all the restore points

?

To delete all restore points except the latest one, use the Disk Cleanup utility. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Disk Cleanup. Click on the more options tab and then select Clean up in the System Restore dialog box.

?

To delete all the restore points on your computer, disable and re-enable system restore on the system. Click Start, Control Panel, and then the System icon. Click on the System Restore tab in the dialog box, select the Turn off System Restore check box, and click Apply. Clear the check box again to re-enable System Restore and then click OK.

?

You can reduce the number of restore points saved by decreasing the total amount of disk space available to System Restore. Note that less available disk space will decrease the relative number of restore points.

i dont use it cos i dont need it, i dont download dodgy programs and i dont use those stupid reg cleaners and stuff like that. i never ever get a virus or spyware so i dont need to worry about it. if need be i can reinstall windows without losing my music and stuff like that. tbh my comp really needs a reformat but its just tedious.

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

• Moderators

tbh my comp really needs a reformat but its just tedious.

Yeah but on WinXP it's less of a pain installing drivers and such because it will look on the Internet for a newer driver, versus what I remember on Win98.