NOT working in SAFE MODE

Why you running it in safemode? The only purpose in running things in safe mode is when the malware is stopping programs from running in regular mode. You are experience odd behavior for the whole point of SF. Malware cant be completed loaded  into memory .

The amount of times we see members suggesting run MBAM is shocking. It's an option that can be used if all else fails. A Bad option. MBAM relies on runtime files in the net library. The same as CCleaners c++ uses libs.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

@ident

a lot of people reboot their PC’s into Safe Mode when performing maintainance tasks to have no interferrance from other services, like AV for instrance.
I don’t see a problem with that idea, and as you state, we regularly suggest that to get users over a hurdle.
(although I don’t think we suggest running MBAM because of Rule #10)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

And? CCleaner also disables reg items via startup like MSCONFIG does. But that does not mean it should ever be done.

No fate but what we make

• 1 month later...

same problem even after updating ccleaner to the latest cersion , please help. i gave you long and enough time to solve the problem and nothing happened.i love ccleaner i'm trying to not replacing it with another software. ask me anything you want even if you wanna enter my pc and fix it.

Cold Hands , Warm Heart

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.  I have CCleaner Free v5.43.6522 (64-bit).

I just tried running the cleaner in safe mode, and I too, experienced a program exit, after running the cleaner analysis.

CCleaner cleaner runs fine in normal mode.

Registry cleaner runs fine in normal and safe mode.

• Moderators

@theeban055

I see you had tried v.51 and now v5.43 - could I suggest reverting to v5.40 and seeing if that helps.
I only ask because, for me, that was the last version that I felt 'just worked'.
I have been told by an Admin that v5.40 has 'critical bugs' but haven't they all recently !!! :P  despite that, it still remains a solid performer for me.

as previously stated, we (Moderators) have posted this thread to a reserved area where Admins regularly log on to view issues - sadly that is all we can do.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

i have it tryed for a few minutes and

yes -> in safe mode ccleaner v5.43.6522 closes itself without permission after analyze or run reached with 100%

w8.1 64 bit

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 1 year later...

I know this is a very old topic, but just wanted to report that this bug is STILL present in CCleaner v5.61... with Windows booted in safe mode, CCleaner will always auto close when analysis stage reaches 100%. No problems when booted in normal mode using the same cleaning settings / options. Tested in 2 different PCs with Windows 8.1 x64 and Windows 10 1903 x64, same behavior.

A system cleanup / maintenance software that can't be run in safe mode? This is absurd. If at least the auto close happened only after the cleanup procedure, it wouldn't be so serious, just an annoyance - but as it is, this is a serious functionality-impairing bug. Please Avast/Piriform, get around to fixing this.

After some further testing - turns out that if I boot into "safe mode with networking", CCleaner works normally. The bug only happens in standard safe mode (without networking).

Still, having network enabled shouldn't be a requirement to use CCleaner in safe mode.

• Moderators

Maybe it wants to phone home to work, check license server, etc. I know another software Malwarebytes complains an absurd amount of times on-screen if it can't phone home during a scan to contact the license server -- or at least it used to in v3.x.

Yes, i can reproduce this for months, also now on Windows 10 1903 and the latest CCleaner release; you can never see the clean results, because CCleaner will disappear at (or before) reaching 100%, so you cannot know if the scan you ordered deleted (all) the files it's supposed to.

17 hours ago, APMichael said:

It's strange and sad that some bugs are consistently ignored...

yeah, and it's also sad that people are always trying to make up excuses/justifications for incorrect behavior of software, like in this older post:

On 13/04/2018 at 01:24, ident said:

Why you running it in safemode?

Clearly;

- most if not all cleaners except for CCleaner are able to function correctly in safe mode.

- as someone else said, people want to do mainentance tasks (like using a cleaner) especially when there is a problem, so it's very likely people that have a problem causing them to go to safe mode will use a cleaner as part of their mainentance tasks. The usability in this scenario is significant, so it's not an excuse to say "why use a cleaner in safe mode".

Also because of this correlation (people intending to use CCleaner in safe mode for specific reasons), it means the user experience of the software is impacted.

It's a technical CCleaner issue, you cannot put it on the user. Maybe CCleaner relies on a driver that cannot work properly in Safe mode, or something like that or mentioned (about web end) earlier, but if anything is going on, then it's a result of CCleaner doing awkward things (that can fail in safemode) or relying on unconvential things.. yeah, because most competiting cleaners can work properly.

Edited by mxz55