cc v5.39 Firefox needs to be closed... but its closed

trium

hi fans,

after the first start of my laptop with my w8.1 64 bit today and run ccleaner it says me:

(i use ff 52.6.0 esr 32 bit)

Firefox needs to be closed to clean the Internet History.

Do you want CCleaner to close Firefox?

but ff was not open.

ofcourse ccleaner cant close ff  -> ff isnt open

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

any chance you opened Task Manager to confirm no firefox.exe process were running?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

yes, there was no firefox-process to see in the task-manager...

ccleaner was the first app i started.

ps:

i have all selections of firefox ticked in ccleaner -> except "internet cache" and "cookies"

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Try Process Explorer from Sysinternals, its free, doesn't need installation.  Once or twice it has showed FF to be running here when nothing else did.  Wild swing, but worth a shot. 

Listed here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sysinternals-suite

More specifically

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Try Process Explorer from Sysinternals, its free, doesn't need installation.  Once or twice it has showed FF to be running here when nothing else did.  Wild swing, but worth a shot. 

yes, there was an entry with process explorer... 1x firefox with size of 220 mb. not showing in the taskmanager.

perhaps this is a thing with classic shell and installed firefox v52.6.0 a few days ago... i only shutdown my laptop, not restart.  (this option in classic shell startmenu)

(perhaps works w8.1 combined with classic shell on another way as i know with windows 95, 98, me, 2000, vista, xp and 7...)

after restart instead shutdown -> all its fine, no more firefox in the background :-) and ccleaner runs through

Also do you have FastBoot enabled?

Monitoring?

i found no bios-option like this in my laptop... but i think yes

ccleaner monitoring is disabled.

thanks all for your fast help :)

Fwiw you can use process explorer to shut down or suspend FF.  I run FF 52.6.0 on win xp and sometimes the HDD gets very busy.  That stops when FF is suspended or stopped.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

trium I always turn off FastBoot/Fast Startup on all my Win 10 machines. Have a read here

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

In particular read the paragraphs about ''Why You Might Want to Disable Fast Startup''

Many a problem can be solved by turning it off, after all it is only a ''pretend shutdown'' so why not always do a real one?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

@hazelnuti have found the option "fast startup" and deactivate it... lets see what happens next time. :-)

ps: the process "firefox" found with process explorer a few days before couldnt shut down (access denied or so). only the restart makes my day :-) perhaps a problem together with "classic shellmenu" and its shut down button, perhaps a problem with the last update from firefox esr... i dont know

@Andavari i think, ill download the portable ff esr :-)

@hazelnut eicaramba -> phenomenal slow start :-) from 10 - 20 sek with fast startup up to 3 minutes now...

4 hours ago, trium said:

ps: the process "firefox" found with process explorer a few days before couldnt shut down (access denied or so). only the restart makes my day :-) perhaps a problem together with "classic shellmenu" and its shut down button, perhaps a problem with the last update from firefox esr... i dont know

Try right click & start process explorer as administrator.  Works here on win 7, not needed on win xp. 

• Moderators

trium there must be something wrong., with Fast Startup disabled my boot is about 20/25 seconds to my desktop...however I don't log in.. I always just boot straight to the desktop on all my machines.

The only thing I have running at boot is my AV and Sandboxie.

Also uninstall Classic Shell as a test, I believe it may cause issues for some folk because of the fast development of Win 10 which it cannot keep up with.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

8 hours ago, hazelnut said:

trium there must be something wrong., with Fast Startup disabled my boot is about 20/25 seconds to my desktop...however I don't log in.. I always just boot straight to the desktop on all my machines.

yes, there was some wrong. 3 min to login-screen...

8 hours ago, hazelnut said:

Also uninstall Classic Shell as a test, I believe it may cause issues for some folk because of the fast development of Win 10 which it cannot keep up with.

i have unsinstalled classic shell and now from 3:30 min startup down to 1:40 min to the login-screen... at least the half of boottime :)

with boot is avg and realtek audio on

ill try a new installation of classic shell and look at the boottime

11 hours ago, login123 said:

Try right click & start process explorer as administrator.  Works here on win 7, not needed on win xp. 

to late -> the wrong firefox-process is done from background a few days ago and i cant try it again. but i believe you :-)

i dont remember me exactly, but normaly yes. it called "Wartungsdienst" -> maintenance service -> i dont install it, i denie the installation of this firefox-service every time

i think with the last update of firefox esr that the installprocess wasnt go very well and with my shutdown instead restart it would not right way processed.