DVI connection question!

slowday444

Although my Dell tower is less than 2 yrs old, it doesn't have a digital output. I'm at work so I can't tell you what graphic/video cards it has. My children gave me a flat panel monitor for my birthday and I have it hooked up with the analog connection. Since every thing viewed on the monitor originates at the analog source anyway, is there any point in getting an adapter that plugs into the analog port and then you plug the DVI cord into it? I noticed on the Dell set up guide that some come with that adapter. At least I think that is what it was.

Thank You!

Although my Dell tower is less than 2 yrs old, it doesn't have a digital output. I'm at work so I can't tell you what graphic/video cards it has. My children gave me a flat panel monitor for my birthday and I have it hooked up with the analog connection. Since every thing viewed on the monitor originates at the analog source anyway, is there any point in getting an adapter that plugs into the analog port and then you plug the DVI cord into it? I noticed on the Dell set up guide that some come with that adapter. At least I think that is what it was.

Thank You!

Turning the analog into digital won't give you a better picture, because as you mentioned, the source is analog, and you can't get something from nothing. It would be the equivalent to encoding a 128 kbps MP3 into FLAC (fully lossless audio codec); you wouldn't gain any quality from it.

If you really want to get better video, the only option would be to get a cheap 64-128 MB video card (you'd pay anywhere from $30-120). The only problem is, most Dell's don't even have an internal video slot (AGP or PCI-E) so you probably don't have that upgrading option in the first place. :(

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

The phrase "Most Dells" is a bit much. Most Dells actually do have an AGP/PCI-E slot in them. Certain models don't.

Turning analog into digital isn't going to happen. Most DVI connectors are DVI-I anyway, which can do both analog and digital. The adapter uses the analog section of the DVI-I cable and adapts it to the standard SVGA connector most people are used to seeing. DVI-D can't be connected with an adapter at all.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

I have a newer Dell.....8400 Dimension...and got the 17inch Ultrasharp LCD...as of right now, I'm using the analog cable, but do want to get a DVI cable eventually. The GFX card is a 128mb Radeon x300, and it's pretty decent for games...I will up that eventually.

slowday, look at THIS CARD (XFX GeForce 6200 ). It's got analog and digital support, has 256mb of memory, and is only $55!!! I'd definetly look into getting this card.

Yes, I am only 15 yrs old (almost 16) but I know a lot about comptuers. The Intel GFX controller (I suspect) can't handle 3d games-I say this because my friend has a Dell Laptop with something similar, and I tried to load a demo, and it wouldn't play it. I'm not trying to turn your computer into a game machine, but this will give it a nice boost.

AJ

I'm 58 and I have a very limited knowledge, although I do keep growing! I have a lowly Dimension 2400. It has a 2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4, 76.73 gigabytes usable Hard Drive Capacity and I added 512 ram to up it to 1gig so it really isn't a dog. Anyway, would a 2400 accept that card? Andavari has a point though, because things look really great right now. Also, from Dj's link, this is the cable the monitor came with (see shot) so any card I would use would have to match this, correct? Thank You!

ScreenShot006.png

The only difference between digital and analog is a lack of signal interference (interference isn't possible with digital) and extended plug and play capabilities. That's about it. Since you don't have any interference/noise going on, it doesn't matter.

Yes, it would have to be exactly like that.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Well slowday444, I just looked up pictures of your motherboard (see picture below), and sadly, you have neither an AGP or PCI-E slot. All your board has is three PCI slots, and while you can purchase PCI video cards, they blow. You might as well stick with your integrated video.

dellDIM2400_mobo.jpg

@ DjLizard: I suppose saying "most Dells" wasn't a very fair statement, but it seems like most Dells for individual consumers (not for businesses or for gamers) have no AGP or PCI-E slot. At least, that has been my experience on the majority of the Dells I've worked on (mostly Dimensions, which probably explains my viewpoint).

ding, ding!

• Moderators

Probably you've ran into that because allot of people don't know to upgrade their new Dell with better hardware straight from the factory. I'm glad I had the knowledge for my past two Dell's to not get any integrated hardware and upgraded it, sound & video that is - however the Dell I'm on now is my last one.

I dont think there would be any noticable difference.

I dont run on DVI either, I dont have DVI output on my computer but I dont have flat panel monitor either. :(

They plan to introduce HDMI or DisplayPort to replace to DVI though, but DisplayPort has evil DRM which DVI dont, thats probably why they want todo it. :(

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

hahah, i hate that motherboard, it sucks. more than your mother lokoike :o oh snap, I had a friend who wanted to play cod2, so i said i can look into putting a gpu in his comp, expecting it to be agp or pci e i open it up and its just 3 damn pci ports, i was po'd and cheated out of money.

IPB Image

Insert random C4 joke here.

hahah, i hate that motherboard, it sucks. more than your mother lokoike :o oh snap

On it is, tiny weedhopper.

ding, ding!

It means he has challenged you to a virtual cyber-posting flaming duel.

Si! :D

@ kk56: You are the son of a motherless goat.

And... um... DVI is the shiz. There, see? Not totally off topic. B)

ding, ding!

HOW DARE YOU!

LOL! pWned by me and zaph! rofl, lawl!

*cough* DVI *cough*

ding, ding!