Issues Scan

mpossoff

The Issues scan is CCleaner's Registry cleaning function. Windows' Registry becomes cluttered with old, invalid entries over time, and these can significantly slow down your computer. So yes, you should clean it.

CCleaner is probably the safest Registry cleaner around, but it's stll best to back up the entries it deletes. When you click "Fix selected Issues", you'll get a prompt asking if you want to back them up, all you'll have to do is choose a location. Once you gain experience with it you may learn to recognize entries that are safe to remove without backup, and it's actually very rare that the backups are needed, it's merely a precaution.

thanks, ran issues and this was in the window....

A file referenced by a shortcut does not exist. File: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\PennConnect Applications\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition.lnk

Solution: Delete the shortcut file.

Now rrid. helped me get rid of Norton so I have no idea what this message even is about.

Marc

The Issues scan is CCleaner's Registry cleaning function. Windows' Registry becomes cluttered with old, invalid entries over time, and these can significantly slow down your computer. So yes, you should clean it.

CCleaner is probably the safest Registry cleaner around, but it's stll best to back up the entries it deletes. When you click "Fix selected Issues", you'll get a prompt asking if you want to back them up, all you'll have to do is choose a location. Once you gain experience with it you may learn to recognize entries that are safe to remove without backup, and it's actually very rare that the backups are needed, it's merely a precaution.

Glenn when I run the cleaner I don't have it delete cookies because I have alot of sites that I have the username and password saved...

How much does cookies have to play in the maximization of my pc?

Marc

It means that a reference to a deleted shortcut (.lnk file) was left behind during the uninstall ... a very common occurrence. Let CCleaner fix it. Personally, I wouldn't bother to back it up.

Although cookies don't take up much drivespace (1 kb each), I agree with hazelnut ... set CCleaner to save the essential ones and wipe the rest. Most cookies are harmless but some are data miners and potential threats to your privacy.

Thanks!

About CWShredder it doesn't seem to find anything. Ad-Aware will often find something and remove it(most likely from our kids surfing) which is OK with me as long as Ad-Aware finds it and removes it.

What's the purpose of CWShredder does it work or is it a waste?

Marc

Although cookies don't take up much drivespace (1 kb each), I agree with hazelnut ... set CCleaner to save the essential ones and wipe the rest. Most cookies are harmless but some are data miners and potential threats to your privacy.

How about Spyblaster...

What's it suppose to do? How does it work?

I have it because it's part of CC's spyware removal guide.

Why do we need so many programs?

Marc

CWShredder finds and destroys traces of CoolWebSearch only (browser hijackers).

So just be glad it never finds anything !

• Moderators

How about Spyblaster...

What's it suppose to do? How does it work?

It blocks certain things well actually allot of things by installing killbits into the registry so for instance some variations of CoolWebSearch can't install themselves. It also applies protection into Internet Explorer, Mozilla, and Mozilla Firefox browsers. It has backup utilities to save your browser configuration, your HOSTS file in case they ever get hijacked you can quickly restore them using SpywareBlaster.

Why do we need so many programs?

To protect your computer! One program may detect something another currently doesn't or can't completely remove. It's better to have an army of protection and never get infected in the first place.

Just look at various sites that offer HijackThis analysis and you'll quickly see that having allot of layered protection (multiple programs that perform the same basic task) is the way to go so you don't end up with a horde of infections that could cause so much havoc your system that a format and reinstall of Windows could be the only course for true disinfection.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did an Issues Scan, I hope my pc doesn't have problems after this.

Your computer will run better better. Did you make a backup? Here are a few hints. Save your backups to your desktop so that you don't forget about them. After a few days have passed without needing the backup delete from your desktop. Here are the reasons.

1. The backup will give you peace of mind until you become comfortable using the utility.

2. The backups are taking up space on your computer. So once you're sure that you don't need them delete them to free up space.

Hope this Helps! :D

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Your computer will run better better. Did you make a backup? Here are a few hints. Save your backups to your desktop so that you don't forget about them. After a few days have passed without needing the backup delete from your desktop. Here are the reasons.

1. The backup will give you peace of mind until you become comfortable using the utility.

2. The backups are taking up space on your computer. So once you're sure that you don't need them delete them to free up space.

Hope this Helps! :D

K

I wasn't sure how to use CCleaner yesterday but I took a chance anyway. I did make a backup just in case something went wrong and saved them on my desktop. after 3 scans it was finally clear of gunk. But I was wondering before I delete them later, before I do where can I go to find out if I need anything on them or not? Should I just delete them and not worry about a thing?

BTW thanks for the advice and more advice is welcome!!! ;)

I wasn't sure how to use CCleaner yesterday but I took a chance anyway. I did make a backup just in case something went wrong and saved them on my desktop. after 3 scans it was finally clear of gunk. But I was wondering before I delete them later, before I do where can I go to find out if I need anything on them or not? Should I just delete them and not worry about a thing?

BTW thanks for the advice and more advice is welcome!!! ;)

Hi ICRMU,

This is how you know if you may, or may not need anything on them. After a few days goes by ask yourself this: "Is my computer acting weird"? If the answer is "no" then delete the backups without worries.

If the answer is yes, start a thread, and someone will tell you how to determine if you need the backup or not.

Enjoy your gunk free computer! Sounds like you had a lot if it took 3 scans to clean it all. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)