Cookies Not Being Deleted From Delete Listing

• Moderators

Did you also disable protected zone in internet zone (which imho is the problem as well as enhanced protection)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

OK - I think I may have fixed this on my computer - at least for IE cookies. Even deleting the cookies from IE didn't get rid of them in the list in CCleaner which suggested to me that cookies had been stored somewhere they shouldn't be. I found cookies in the following directory -

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\windows_ie_ac_001\AC\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore

I deleted all of the subdirectories here and then all of the cookies disappeared from CCleaner. I then started generating cookies and the deletion and saving now appears to be working but I will test it some more. I still have a macromedia chrome cookie that wont delete but I think that's a separate problem. I assume the above problem has something to do with the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

If you want to try this I would copy the folders to a USB drive before deleting them just in case there is anything critical in there that you only find out about afterwards.

I have looked at that directory but my internet explorer folder is empty (no DOMSTORE folder)

Same for me... so no fix there.

Also, I can report that disabling Protected Mode (which I am not sure that I really want to do...) did not solve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still having this problem, although I have something of an update... I recently purchases a new Windows 8.1 Pro tablet, so it is running the exact same OS (with the exact same browser) as my desktop and laptop (where CCleaner is not removing cookies from its list). I installed CCleaner and noticed that when I run it, the cookies are removed from the list. Again, same OS, same browser, same settings. Maybe something got corrupted in CCleaner when I upgraded my desktop and laptop to 8.1? When I uninstalled CCleaner on my desktop and reinstalled it, I still have the same problem. However, I note that I don't get the same options as a clean install (as I am not asked to install the Google toolbar, etc.). Are there some settings in CCleaner which are left upon uninstall? Maybe I need to delete registry entries or find a way to do a complete uninstall? Again, just a theory, but I can't rule it out unless I completely remove all traces of CCleaner before reinstalling...

• Moderators

@Chasim,

the Google stuff not being asked during installation has something to do with a registry entry that remembers when you installed it last time and if within 6 months (I think) it won't ask you again.

the only thing I would add to your theory is between uninstall and reinstalling, is do a reboot (you may get lucky) and the other thing to try is to uninstall it and then use the Portable version instead (that way bypassing the registry altogether)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

@Chasim,

the Google stuff not being asked during installation has something to do with a registry entry that remembers when you installed it last time and if within 6 months (I think) it won't ask you again.

the only thing I would add to your theory is between uninstall and reinstalling, is do a reboot (you may get lucky) and the other thing to try is to uninstall it and then use the Portable version instead (that way bypassing the registry altogether)

I tried with uninstalling, rebooting, and then running the Portable version, but it did not work. However, I was able to SOLVE THE PROBLEM (at least for me) by uninstalling CCleaner, rebooting, going to Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete Settings > Delete AutoComplete History... and deleting everything, rebooting again, and then reinstalling. And now when I run CCleaner the list of Cookies to delete is empty!

I hope this helps! Go to Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete Settings > Delete AutoComplete History. At the top, uncheck Preserve Favorites website data. Then hit delete at the bottom. Run CCleaner and see if those cookies are now gone. Good Luck!

Just installed the latest version of CCleaner (V.08.4428) and was hoping this version would solve the problem of deleting cookies from the delete listing when running IE11 in Protected Mode but it didn't. Guess I will have to go back to running IE11 with Protected Mode disabled.

• Moderators

Protected mode store cookies in temp files, if you turn off ccleaner's 24 hour rule for temporary files it will empty correct, protected mode is set up so that it will not keep your cookies or history by design

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

all members(even Mods) are just that, members, with no special insight to Piriform's activities.

a Dev or Admin member will occasionally chime in with some news but otherwise, like the rest of us, you have to wait for the next release and check if it includes your fix.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hi all,

#35 is not an option.

Usually CC works a treat, but in win 8.1 ie11 IT DOES NOT WORK...the main worry is that it is NOT deleting all cookies and especially the tracking cookies they all still sit there waiting to be deleted, but nothing happens.

I will uninstall CC and use IE11 to delete, at present a much safer option. I will keep checking for updates. 

I had to laugh it took me ten minutes to sign up and log into this forum. The Captcher questions is a joke I cannot make out half of them, the thing that made me laugh is the talking version, go on have a listen see if you can make out what is going on.

Happy Christmas to those that celebrate... :rolleyes:

• Moderators

I had to laugh it took me ten minutes to sign up and log into this forum. The Captcher questions is a joke I cannot make out half of them, the thing that made me laugh is the talking version, go on have a listen see if you can make out what is going on.

I hate Captcha in any shape or form, there has to be something better. It was brought to attention that the audio version is even worse than the text version as in completely useless to be exact.