IE7 Beta 2 Released to General Public

Mike Rochip

Link to PC World blog on IE7 discussing pros and cons (seems like more cons than pros) with a link to the Internet Explorer site to download a copy. Quote from the site:

"Developers and IT pros: Download and evaluate the Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview — and explore the improvements in security, user interface, and development platform."

It is available to everyone.

PC World (via Google News)

It is an 11.28 meg download preceeded by a Flash movie.

Hmm... download an unstable browser made by Microsoft that has an 11.28 MB installer, or stick with my stable Firefox browser whose installer consumes under 5 MB. I wonder? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

IE sucks. I need say no more.

Anyway, setting my feelings aside, thanks for the news and link, Mike!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I know, but I still really want to get Firefox, there is no ebay toolbar for it though, thinking of getting it anyways and using it as the primary browser, but use IE when I have to....

I know, but I still really want to get Firefox, there is no ebay toolbar for it though, thinking of getting it anyways and using it as the primary browser, but use IE when I have to....

• Moderators

I installed this. I had a lot of issues with it to.

here is a post I made as LS.

Ok I downloaded and now I wish I hadent.(thank god I have firefox.)

untitled0be.th.jpg

OK I have had IE7 installed for all of about 5 minutes and thats all I need for my list of gripes.

1. The toolbars cant be moved. This prevents me from fixing the crap decision to get rid of the menu bars.

2. The menu bar is gone.(what the hell?)

Edit: I found that you can enable it but you cant put it in the right spot. when you do enable it it makes the toolbars really really big.

3. There is no drop down button for bookmarks. I dont/never have wanted a sidebar to look at bookmarks.(can be fixed with turning on classic menus but you know the issue with that. :angry: )

4. The navigation keys.(home, forward,backwards,ect.) are not together?

5. I cant get rid of the second google bar search. I have never gotten the point of these. I will always go to google to search, thats just the way I am.

6. Its ugly

7. Its not customizable.

8. No adblock.(I know its not fair but it has become a necessity of mine.)

Thats it. Basically this will be like the other IE. Only for updates.:thumbdown:

I agree with rridgely, the interface is horrible. Even with a minimal number of features displayed, it takes up way too much room on the display. On my PC it was a lot slower than Firefox, or any other browser for that matter. The most common comments about IE 7 Beta 2 Preview seem to be that "maybe they'll (fix) (add) (improve) (remove) this (issue) (bug) (oversight) before the final release." Like Lokoike said, why bother when there's Firefox?

Here are some E-Bay extensions I found for Firefox. Maybe they will offer you similar features that your IE E-Bay toolbar gave you?

Try them out; there's bound to be something you like. I would hate for you to be stuck with IE for that reason alone!

ding, ding!

i like the interface... quite clean... but not used to it since it is removing away from the traditional Windows apps... and moving towards WinVista style...

seems like MS is doing fine as IE7 have many new and interesting functions... not always useful... maybe except for Saturday...

but there is 1 thing in FireFox that will prevent me from discarding it... the Ctrl+F...

thats also the reason why i didnt switch to Opera Browser either... even it seems to be a bit faster and with better functionalities...

i hope to see the Ctrl+F and tabbed browsing functions everywhere (bear with me here :lol:)... including Office Word etc.

--==aGumon==--

Ctrl+F is implemented in opera cept it's a bit diffrent from Firefox. it practically does the same thing(search with every key typed) but it doesnt show a toolbar like Firefox does. instead it changes the Search Bar(near the address bar) to use "Find In Page" instead of Google or w/e the search thing is.

i hope to see the Ctrl+F and tabbed browsing functions everywhere (bear with me here :lol:)... including Office Word etc.

*Gasp*

Why hope to see it in Office?! You should be hoping to see it in OpenOffice! Then you can have all of the tab goodness, without the cost. And OpenOffice can make PDFs too. I wonder if MS Office will ever incorporate that function?

I find it funny that it has taken MS this long to start thinking about organizing related files and programs with tabs and such. I mean, take Corel WordPerfect for example; they've been using a tabbed word processor for years! And Mozilla has been doing the tabbed browser for quite a while as well. MS is really dragging their feet when it comes to updating things that really matter. They are too concerned with making pretty icons, or giving Vista a 3D GUI, to worry about petty things, like stable, easy-to-use software.

ding, ding!

ya... i mean generally all Office Apps... MS Office... OpenOffice... including AbiWord etc...

i love tabbed! :lol:

i also hope to see tabbed in Explorer... MSN Messenger (Live Messenger <- i dont like the name) conversion... etc... tabbed browsing EVERYWHERE!

i know that the Messenger Plus provide this function... but i dont feel safe to install it... also adviced by some friends in this forum...

MS have tabbed in Visual Studio.NET 2003 :lol: and i personally dont need those nice nice cute cute icons... if i ever get WinVista, i will switch to Classic Interface (Win2000)

--==aGumon==--

ya... i mean generally all Office Apps... MS Office... OpenOffice... including AbiWord etc...

i love tabbed! :lol:

Yeah, tabbed is awesome. Another thing that MS really needs to do to Windows is let you move around programs in your Taskbar, the same way you can with tabs in Firefox 1.5+. Windows has had a Taskbar for over ten years, and you still can't even drag items around on it! I mean, seriously, what is the hold up?!

But, if I started listing everything I dislike about Windows and MS apps in general, the CCleaner forum would turn into a black hole from the sheer mass of all of the text. So I won't.

ding, ding!

maybe u can start 1 topic titled: "What I Dislike About MS"

then send it to MS... maybe it may be a suggestion board to them from members of CCleaner... :lol:

Heh, yeah, I bet they'd appreciate that! I'd be willing to bet that MS's spam filters filter out anything negative about MS, so that the only emails they get are "MS is soooo great!" and "I love your buggy beta browsers" etc.

We could make that topic, title it "I <3 MS" and then send it to them. :lol::lol:

ding, ding!

:lol:

not very sure if they do tht... but ti would be nice if they take negative feedbacks...

there are things that i dislike about MS... but there are few things that i appreciate... just some personal perferences...

--==aGumon==--

:lol:

not very sure if they do tht... but ti would be nice if they take negative feedbacks...

there are things that i dislike about MS... but there are few things that i appreciate... just some personal perferences...

That's fine if you like MS. Obviously, I am biased against them, so even if they did come out with something great, it would take a while for me to register it. But I do have a lot of complaints, and I would consider most of them pretty valid.

My biggest problem is the whole Trusted Computing/DRM deal that Windows is integrating into Windows. I feel that MS can't beat other companies with a superior product, so they ultimately just want to make it impossible for those companies to support common file types, such as .wma and .doc .

I feel that if MS makes products that are incompatible with other products, and they charge a high price as well, I have no reason to respect them or their products. My philosophy in a nutshell.

ding, ding!

no biased towards MS... i dont like them nor i hate them... :lol:

one example of things i like is the Windows Defender... even through it is not as good as the GIANT Antispyware... and currently having a lot of stability and usability issues but it seems to be the best antispyware that offer at no charge... hope it will get better and better in time to come... at least they decided to offer it for FREE... then about 1 thing that i dislike about MS is their MSN Messenger... so bloated... Windows Messenger so ugly... they cant design a nice IM... at least not for now... maybe Live Messenger will do it...?

i agree that MS products are expensive... but so as other apps like Adobe... Macromedia (which is now known as Adobe)... thats why i normally goes with freeware or open source programs (or education edition of shareware)...

of coz MS products are not the greatest... thats why i replace many of their apps with alternatives...

oh anyway... i hate software companies registering new extensions on their newer version of program... thats make the older version unable to open files created in the new version...

--==aGumon==--

i agree that MS products are expensive... but so as other apps like Adobe... Macromedia (which is now known as Adobe)... thats why i normally goes with freeware or open source programs (or education edition of shareware)...

of coz MS products are not the greatest... thats why i replace many of their apps with alternatives...

oh anyway... i hate software companies registering new extensions on their newer version of program... thats make the older version unable to open files created in the new version...

Totally agree. Both MS and Adobe make bulky programs that are generally sluggish, huge, and terribly expensive. I like some Adobe apps because of the features they offer (Photoshop, for example), but Adobe apps are almost always not intuitive, and are difficult to figure out. Microsoft apps tend to be a bit more easy to learn, but their products are resource hogs, and are often more focused around looking pretty than working well. Your windows may use nifty fading effects, and your shut down screen may have that cool grayscale look, but Explorer will often crash without warning, and your Recycle Bin icon will show paper when there are no files in it.

Another thing, as far as I'm concerned, lack of support for older products is totally unacceptable.

ding, ding!

no biased towards MS... i dont like them nor i hate them... :lol:

one example of things i like is the Windows Defender... even through it is not as good as the GIANT Antispyware... and currently having a lot of stability and usability issues but it seems to be the best antispyware that offer at no charge... hope it will get better and better in time to come... at least they decided to offer it for FREE... then about 1 thing that i dislike about MS is their MSN Messenger... so bloated... Windows Messenger so ugly... they cant design a nice IM... at least not for now... maybe Live Messenger will do it...?

OK, Internet Explorer is not as simple as firefox nor as easy to use.

It only works on computers with service pack 2 or better installed, which is a shame, since service pack 2 opens a new hole for every one that it pretends to fix.

If the service pack doesn't do any good, there is no need to apply it.

Given microsoft's track record, the service pack is exactly that, NO GOOD as hackers have proven that even the smallest exploit such as windows meta file can be turned into a nightmare when they get done rewriting the scripts.

I don't know if there is a god or not, but if there is and they will solve our problems, I am willing to worship them since man has proven that they are in general, liars, theives, adulterers and cannot solve the overpopulation, disease, spyware, virus, nor fix the holes in their software. Even if there is only 1 error per 1,000 lines, then in microsofts more than 40 million lines of code, isnt that better than 40,000 errors waiting to happen?

Peace, and thanks to those that ARE good people, :P

P.S. Get the IE tab extension for firefox that enables a right click open in IE tab option (still within firefox) so you never have to touch that pesky, browser helper object and search redirect riddled IE again.

i wont say which browser is actually easier to use... it depends on the user itself... but its sure a shame that IE7 only support WinXP w/SP2 and Win2003 Server... but MS said "some of the security work in IE7 relies on operating system functionality in XPSP2" i dont know about this... but i believe that everyone should upgrade to SP2 if possible...

you cannot completely blame MS for all the flaws in Windows OS... just that too many people around the world uses it...

if now, let say everyone uses Apple Macintosh OSX, the same thing will happen... people will start to hack Apple Macintosh OSX... their Safari web browser...

i read somewhere online that some flaws are actually from the patch itself, as this disclose some security issues that existed in Windows OS, so hackers can look into this area and create another flaws...

--==aGumon==--