ARGH

kobrakommander56

I have a friend who is terrible with computers, and when this person built his comp for him, he used what i believe is a pirated corporate version. I can't find the person, who built it, and I'm not to familiar with pirated software. The windows update doesnt seem to work, is there a way where i can still get the updates, or is it out of the question. Plus I dont want MS hunting me down and putting a bullet in my back.

IPB Image

Insert random C4 joke here.

I have a friend who is terrible with computers, and when this person built his comp for him, he used what i believe is a pirated corporate version. I can't find the person, who built it, and I'm not to familiar with pirated software. The windows update doesnt seem to work, is there a way where i can still get the updates, or is it out of the question. Plus I dont want MS hunting me down and putting a bullet in my back.

Do not despair - there is a way. Rridgely and Tarun, are being very ethical. Nevertheless, it would not be right to divulge the actual method here!

Set up for Windows' automatic updates should be available to your friend, and Microsoft has promised to provide security updates to ALL users automatically. I know of several PC's, with unlicensed Windows, that are regularly updated like this. They come through once a month and also on emergency basis.

There is also a "hack", which Microsoft has so far declined to block, that gets you any and all updates at will. It is extremely simple, a five-year old can do it, but that info. must be found elsewhere.

Microsoft is quite sympathetic to those that have, often unwittingly, purchased or been provided with 'pirate' Windows!

Since this information is public knowledge, I don't believe that any ethics have been infringed by this post. The moderator/s may prove me wrong!

Seek and you shall find !

P.S. I expect you know, as many do, that rridgely and Tarun are \\\SUPER :D HELPERS/// - two of the best!

If you dont want to wait on automatic updates you can go to this page and download all the security updates you want plus the service packs for any OS microsoft has.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html

Is this 100% OK - safe and trouble free? Well, near that would be the most to expect, I suppose. "Don't mess with Windows!" they say. (I've heard.)

There are several things that work. Even some that are not entirely legal to make you get Windows Updates. I for one do not support pirated Windows, therefore I am not going to disclose any of the methods that are legal to get Windows Updates.

Call Microsoft and get the issue resolved. That's the only one I will publically suggest.

Is this 100% OK - safe and trouble free? Well, near that would be the most to expect, I suppose. "Don't mess with Windows!" they say. (I've heard.)

It's 100% OK I use this site all the time for all kinds of updates not just Windows OS it alot faster and you can either save them all to a special folder and save to CD or DVD or make slipstream CD's that will auto install all new updates after windows installs on your PC. As far as what you update with it that a personal choice.

I'll prolly use the website, becuz honestly who wants to go through the trouble of calling up MS and answering incriminating questions. No offense Tarun.

I'll prolly use the website, becuz honestly who wants to go through the trouble of calling up MS and answering incriminating questions. No offense Tarun.

IPB Image

Insert random C4 joke here.

• Moderators

I have seen a pc with a pirated copy of windows where once it connected to updates and MS saw it wasnt legit they did something where the pc wouldnt boot after 30 days if a copy of xp wasnt purchased. I might have even seen that as a screen shot on this forum.

• Moderators

I want to say that popped up right around the time the genuine advantage program came into play. Someone posted a screen shot and it said that windows would expire in x amount of days.

It could have been a fake screenshot. Honestly I dont remember. -_-

hmmmm... how would that work?

you think they do that with a lot of people?

If it is 30 days, they probably just de-Activate it. All Windows Update would have to do is edit the WPA.DBL file under C:\ Windows\ System32.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Tarun: quote, "Well, if he doesn't want a free OS that is legal; then it's his problem. They'll bust him for using an illegal OS if it's not reported."

rridgely: quote, "I have seen a pc with a pirated copy of windows where once it connected to updates and MS saw it wasnt legit they did something where the pc wouldnt boot after 30 days if a copy of xp wasnt purchased. I might have even seen that as a screen shot on this forum."

rridgely: quote, " It could have been a fake screenshot. Honestly I dont remember. -_-

With all due respect guys, I bow to your expertise!

_ _ _ _ _

kobrakommander56: quote, "you think they do that with a lot of people?"

Do I detect a hint of paranoia, kk56? Cautious?

Well, around here, no-one seems ever to have been refused any updates (or been 'busted') for running unlicensed Windows. Can't speak globally of course - but there's a hell of a lot of it in these 'ere parts. Retailers did it to cut back on their sell price on new computers, until MS started verifying licenses before updating. Only then did many realize that they were 'pirates'. :(

Must be untold numbers world-wide! Jeez! If they took punitive action, MS'd be in deep do-do! Legally, they 'allowed' this 'pirating' by not 'mitigating' against it, and giving 'support' to unlicenced users. (Any lawyers around?)

Nevertheless, I'm with Tarun and rridgely on this. I don't condone unlicensed use - it IS theft. I don't like being ripped off, who does? Does it not matter if it's a large corporation? It all comes down to, "What if we all did it?" Hey, there would be NO corporation! Hello!

_ _ _ _ _

Anyone know when/if a new version of Windows is due? Will MS have 'pirating' covered in this one, i.e. NO updates or any support? Will they clamp down? Why not - many thousands have had a free run. It's time!

Ideas? Rumours? Opinions? Link/s?

Hehehe, this is a cumbersome post if ever I saw one! :rolleyes: - I'm outa here!

ccc

Anyone know when/if a new version of Windows is due? Will MS have 'pirating' covered in this one, i.e. NO updates or any support? Will they clamp down? Why not - many thousands have had a free run. It's time!

Ideas? Rumours? Opinions? Link/s?

Haven't you heard of Windows Vista? It is considered the biggest update since Win95. It will be a 64 bit OS, and the entire desktop, including the windows, will be rendered in 3D. This way, not only does it hog up a ton of resources and look cooler, but it also lets you do little tricks like angling windows on their sides so that you can view the contents of all of them at once; sort of an alternative to the Alt+Tab window we have now.

Anyway, it sounds kind of nifty, except for three minor details:

1. The cost will likely be very high

2. Very few computers will be able to run it well, as the new GUI uses a huge amount of resources and requires some technology that is not readily available now

3. It will have some form of built-in DRM

I can somewhat deal with the first two, but this DRM crap is definitely not cool. :angry:

ding, ding!

Microsoft wont hunt you or your friend down for using a "pirated" version of Windows. Just look at China, all copies of Windows is pirated. :)

You can still get updates, via the "Automatic Updates" function which you find in the Control Panel.

I am not excited about Windows Vista, I think it will have too much Treacherous Computing (TC), Digital Restriction Management (DRM) etc. Protected Video Paths (PVP), etc that will shut off the monitor when you try play a movie you not allowed to, etc. I think Microsoft bowed too much to the large media corporations.

I wont switch to Vista.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

...Protected Video Paths (PVP), etc that will shut off the monitor when you try play a movie you not allowed to, etc...

I wont switch to Vista.

Yeah, PVP was one thing I was pretty worried about myself.

And as far as switching over, I don't see why anyone would want to! WinFS and its corresponding search abilities will be available for XP, as will IE 7, and most likely WMP 11. Plus, WinXP doesn't require terribly expensive hardware to run, as Vista does.

ding, ding!

• Moderators

Microsoft is covering corporate asses while we must bow, pants down - asses ready for inspection!

And hopefully every get's a "clean" inspection. Nobody would want to be deemed "dirty" and have them to do the wiping!