Are the blue colored files in my windows folder

slowday444

Mike Rochip is correct. A blue file indicates that it is an NTFS file which is compressed or encrypted. You can turn the color off if you go into Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View > Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color .

As far as removing them goes, I believe every last one of them is simply a Windows Update Uninstaller. I would recommed putting them in your Recycling Bin for a couple weeks and see how Windows runs (I'm sure it will run just fine), and if you don't have any problems, get rid of them.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I just haven't been sure whether they uninstall the updates or they are merely a means to uninstall.

I just tested one out, and it is the actual uninstaller. It asks you if you want to remove the update and restore Windows to the previous configuration.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Update! I did it. Deleted all the $MSuninstall and NTuninstall files from the Windows folder and every thing works fine. I had checked my Belarc Advisor several times as I was putting them in the rec bin and all of the MS updates were still there. Andavari, you were correct about one thing. Reg Mechanic found 102 references (problems) to them. Thank you all, they have been "glaring" at me for a long time!

• Moderators

Andavari, you were correct about one thing. Reg Mechanic found 102 references (problems) to them.

That's why I immediately run CCleaner, EasyCleaner, and RegSeeker after deleting them, I don't know if there's any other remnants since I only run those three which are pretty thourough (well enough for me) when ran back-to-back.

• Moderators

I have just downloaded Regseeker, and was very surprised at the hundreds of entries it found. I deleted all the green ones but wasn't too sure about the reds so didn't do all of them.

( difficult to be selective when you're not a reg expert!)

I ticked make a backup, bottom left corner, but when I looked in it there only seemed to be a small amount of the entries I had deleted. ???

If I had to restore the backup I could not get an option to restore it by right clicking, is there another way to do it?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I ticked make a backup, bottom left corner, but when I looked in it there only seemed to be a small amount of the entries I had deleted. ???

If I had to restore the backup I could not get an option to restore it by right clicking, is there another way to do it?

Backups are stored in the '...RegSeeker\Backup' folder, just double click it to restore it, you may want to open the .reg file in something like Notepad to see exactly what it removed which I highly recommend doing since sometimes RegSeeker removes more than what it lists/what you think it's removed - always look at the backup it made!

If you need a rather big exclude list I can post it in here, the exclude list I built will protect a number of software titles/windows settings that RegSeeker will F'up royally.

• Moderators

Thanks for the offer Andavari. However I may delete the prog. as I've only used it once but feel unsure and uncomfortable about choosing what should stay or go.

I tried to open the backup file with notepad but it said access denied. I have a few hundred red entries left but as I said don't feel competent enough to decide what to do with them.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the offer Andavari. However I may delete the prog. as I've only used it once but feel unsure and uncomfortable about choosing what should stay or go.

I tried to open the backup file with notepad but it said access denied. I have a few hundred red entries left but as I said don't feel competent enough to decide what to do with them.

I completely agree. I have read many times that RegSeeker is overly aggressive and repairing a damaged or corrupted registry is one of the most frustrating and time consuming endeavors imaginable for a PC owner. The rule of thumb I would use in deciding whether or not to use RegSeeker would be is it worth ending up having to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

Of course I am speaking as someone who is not very knowledgeable about the registry. For an expert user I imagine RegSeeker is a very useful and productive application. CCleaner seems by far the best program for people like me.

• Moderators

To avoid problems that registry cleaners can and may cause just make a registry backup using ERUNT beforehand. I've seen on more than one occasion when the undo backups created by registry cleaning programs don't actually fix anything!

• Moderators

Andavari, have you got the link right to ERUNT?

I also looked at easy cleaner but the duplicate files bit doesn't really give me enough info on which duplicate files to delete, so I've left well alone. The only bit I did try was the cookies. Didn't realise I'd lose my ccleaner cookie even though it's choosen to save in ccleaner options.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

The ERUNT link is correct, it goes to the main page that shows all available downloads, etc. Here's the ERUNT & NTREGOPT homepage all by themselves:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/index.htm

Do not use the duplicate files finder in EasyCleaner - it's the only dangerous part of EasyCleaner that should be avoided.

• Moderators

Downloaded ERUNT and backed up the registry.

If I have to restore it, it says go to windows explorer and navigate to the folder where the backup is and double click the ERDNT.EXE to start the process.

There are two files there with today's date on which both contain ERDNT.EXE, one has today's date on it and the other has Autobackup on. Which one would it be?

Also was it right to back up system reg. and current user reg.?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

When I make an ERUNT backup I always select the option (manually tick): Other open users registries

Why I do this, I don't know! However it may be needed to fully restore the registry.

To restore the backup you just:

1. Click Start, Run, and browse to (today's backup as an example):

C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\01-25-2006\ERDNT.EXE

2. Reboot immediately when prompted.

To avoid problems that registry cleaners can and may cause just make a registry backup using ERUNT beforehand. I've seen on more than one occasion when the undo backups created by registry cleaning programs don't actually fix anything!

You're a genious, and my hero! Will you post your log for me please?

Many thanks. :D

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

His reg back up will do nothing for you.... You need to create your own.

I'm sorry. I wasn't referring to the ERUNT list, but the list of things not to clean with RegSeeker.

Although Andarvi you did inform me of ERUNT about a month ago, and now I'm a little more relaxed.

GOOD TIMES! :D

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)