New User (Is it still okay to use the computer while using defraggler)

MyKidzMom

Just downloaded CCleaner and Defraggler on the recommendation of Kim Komando. :)

Just a quick question... I haven't degragged my hard drvie since I have had the computer (about 3-1/2 years) and Defraggler says it will take about a day. Is it still okay to use the computer, or should I leave it totally alone so it can do its work?

Thanks!

Edited by Nergal
clarified thread title

I ignore the duration guesstimate. It will defrag faster if you don't interfere by multitasking.

And I use only the super fast file defrag. Tick ☑ Filename RECo7.png and click Defrag Checked.

Don't be surprised if file defrag is finished in a few minutes.

In my experience, trying to use a PC while the HDD is being defragged, can be aggravatingly slow. I usually run a defrag when I know I will be away from the PC, or let it run overnight if it has been a long time since my last defrag.

JMO

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

glad it was as fast :)

I've clarified thread title

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

That's why letting the defrag run overnight works best (for me)

I think defragmenting while not using the computer is the best practice for a more thorough non-user uninterrupted defrag (of course keeping in mind that there's other stuff that will take place in the background that may slightly interfere but of course with no real concern such as antivirus programs auto-updating, etc.)

• 3 years later...

I ignore the duration guesstimate. It will defrag faster if you don't interfere by multitasking.

And I use only the super fast file defrag. Tick ☑ Filename RECo7.png and click Defrag Checked.

Don't be surprised if file defrag is finished in a few minutes.

HI Kroozer,

I would very much appreciate so more info on what you wrote...  is "the super fast defrag" accomplished by Ticking "Filename box"? Thanks !!!  DK

• Moderators

with the filename column ticked, only those files checked are defragged.

without those ticked, clicking Defrag from the Drive tab will do your entire hard drive.

my personal method for even quicker defragging is to Analyse, then on the File List tab, click the Size column to sort in descending size order, then select the first 10, 20, 100 (whatever suits your needs) and click Defrag Highlighted.

I then repeat that process for the Fragments column.

that way I only defrag the worst offenders; the biggest fragmented files and those with the most fragments.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.