Kuntah Keentay

kobrakommander56

The other day, my brother and I were cleaning out my computer room, its literally a room full of computer junk, old ram, a few mobos, cases, and lots of screws and cords. In the middle of the clean my brother turned to me and said "what the hell is this, this slave master thing". I turned around like wtf is he talking about only to realize he was holding an ide cable for a hard drive or optical drive. My brother being a 21 year old college frat guy, turned to me , one of the most analytical persons ever with a near photographic memory and showed me this. I was surprised and pissed off at myself, becuz in all this time, i never realized that the cord basically said "Slave Master"

IPB Image

Insert random C4 joke here.

Hehe, "slave" and "master" sounds a little kinky. :)

Master is first harddisk.

Slave is second harddisk.

There are 2 busses, IDE 0 and IDE 1, which both allow to have 2 IDE devices on each bus.

(Even though you probably already knew that) :P

I also cleaned my room a while ago, had to throw away much stuff, had so much things laying around everywhere. Tossed old computers 486's, monitors, old IDE and SCSI harddisks, cables, ZipDrive (parallel port eww) and a million floppy disks. ;)

I had like several drawers full of old floppies, some with stuff on them from prior to 1980. :P

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Yeah, I did some hardware cleanup a little while back; I found an 3.5" hard drive with only 125 MB total! A plain old CD can hold nearly 6 times that! Crazy how things have advanced...

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

My first computer was a Packard Bell.

340 Meg HD

5 1/4 Floppy

3.5 Floppy

SINGLE Speed CD-ROM (Advertised as 1st Multi-Media PC)

1200 Baud Modem

Windows 3.1

The Internet was entirely text based (No WWW)

You had to download an image to view it

You had to access servers manually (all 2400 of them world-wide)

The closest thing to a search engine was Gopher (Go For)

But...

No viruses

No pop-ups, pop-unders, redirects, etc

FREE access (my local library offered a free phone number)

My first computer was a Intel 386. No modem. :P

MS-DOS with Norton Commander.

I had plenty of games, like Ski or Die, Skate or Die, Winter Olympics, Prehistorik 2, Pinball Fantasy, Tristan flipper, etc... :P

Back in the days, you didnt need a fan to cool your CPU.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I gotta stop smoking the green stuff.

RAM?

You'd almost think that would improve your "memory". :D

ding, ding!

I forgot to mention paying $200 for 4 megs of RAM...

Talk about smoking the green stuff (money)!

my mom spent $10,000 on her first pc, a 386 i believe, she was the eny of all her friends, then the following year the price halved, still loved that old beast though, only programs i remember were: typing tutor, word perfect, where in the world is carmen sandiago, jill of the jungle, and star trek....aww the good 'ol days...

The reason I spent $200 on on 4mb of RAM was so MS Flight Simulator would run, it still didn't :angry: .

The funny thing was waiting for weeks so I would buy a computer with the best features at the lowest price. We all know how well that works :P ! 2 weeks later- Dang, if only I waited TWO more weeks!

Take a tour through this computer museum. It shows how far we've come!

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=973

Cheers,
0pera

~ It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs ~

Take a tour through this computer museum. It shows how far we've come!

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=973

Thanks for the link, nerds like me should find it very interesting B)!

I read once that the lights in Philly would actually dim when they fired up the Univac. Besides the incredible heat generated by the 5,200 vacuum tubes, just maintaining them was an incredible endeavor.

I was also amazed the Commodore C-64 sold 30,000,000 units, more than all the Macs in the world!

Wow! The Univac 1 ran at a "blazing" 2 Khz!

My TI-86 calculator is literally over 3,149 times faster (6 Mhz > 1,905 Hz), costs over 6,818 times less ($110 < $750,000), and weighs over 17,466 times less (1.5 lbs < 26,200 lbs), to put it in perspective.

The times have changed indeed.

ding, ding!

• 2 weeks later...

I also cleaned my room a while ago, had to throw away much stuff, had so much things laying around everywhere. Tossed old computers 486's, monitors, old IDE and SCSI harddisks, cables, ZipDrive (parallel port eww) and a million floppy disks. ;)

I had like several drawers full of old floppies, some with stuff on them from prior to 1980. :P

Why throw it all away? People (like me) buy stuff like that on ebay all of the time. You could have made some money. $$$$

:D K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

You buy old computer parts?! Hmm... I could make a fortune with all the crap I got!

ding, ding!

You buy old computer parts?! Hmm... I could make a fortune with all the crap I got!

Seriously...My stepdad is a programmer for boeing, and he emails me daily with good buys on ebay. People buy, and I'm one of them.

FYI

;) K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I believed you! I just thought it was funny, cause what is junk to one person is useful to someone else. :)

What do you do with old parts? Just collect?

ding, ding!

I believed you! I just thought it was funny, cause what is junk to one person is useful to someone else. :)

What do you do with old parts? Just collect?

Sell Baby!!! Unless a family member needs a part, they have first dibs. I still haven't had a used part fail on me (knock on wood).

K

Sell Baby!!! Unless a family member needs a part, they have first dibs. I still haven't had a used part fail on me (knock on wood).

K

Wow! So you actually do use them then?! So you're probably pretty good with Win 3.1 and DOS and golden oldies like that, huh?

As far as parts go, I'll have to look through them and test some of them out. Heck, I still got EDO RAM and HDs with less than 1 GB! Also, I've got a bunch of old Intel procs (100-533 Mhz) that all work. I didn't realize people would buy this stuff! I've tried to sell it to pawn shops here in my town, but with no luck; I can't even give the stuff away! Hooray for the Internet!

ding, ding!

Wow! So you actually do use them then?! So you're probably pretty good with Win 3.1 and DOS and golden oldies like that, huh?

As far as parts go, I'll have to look through them and test some of them out. Heck, I still got EDO RAM and HDs with less than 1 GB! Also, I've got a bunch of old Intel procs (100-533 Mhz) that all work. I didn't realize people would buy this stuff! I've tried to sell it to pawn shops here in my town, but with no luck; I can't even give the stuff away! Hooray for the Internet!

I've found that people like to use old computers/parts for their little kids. Kids are being taught how to use computers beginning at the age of 2 so it comes in handy (and cheap). They mostly use them to play games. This seems like useless knowledge until you realize that you can make money from it.

$$$

I can sell you an old computer, about 5 years old and packed full of C4

Heh, that reminds me of a movie I saw (I think Tech TV) where they destroyed a hard drive with thermite. I gotta try that some time.

ding, ding!