SpeedUpMyPC

edallen

I have NoScript installed on my Toshiba Laptop, XP Pro SP3 and everytime it updates, it encourages me to run (and perhaps purchase, I do not know as I have not gotten that far) a program by Uniblue - SpeedUpMyPC. Does anyone know anything about this from first hand experience? I do not want to try something that is going to goof anything else up. Thanks for any input you may have. :wub:

• Moderators

[opinion]I shy away from that sort of thing, honestly the noscript developer is just trying to capitalize is (very popular) add-on, and he absolutely should, but I am not a fan of those all encompassing "fix my computer" schemes [/opinion]

ninja'd by Winnie

also

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/uniblue.com

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I kind of figured this was something to stay away from and not waste my time with. So I won't. Thanks again. :)

t

edallen, speedupmypc employs scare tactics.

For some people, it may possibly help some, & may even speed it up to "300%!!!"

Especially those people who have 50 startup items, never defragged in 20 years, never cleared temp file directories and browser traces with something similar to CCleaner, have tons of toolbars installed, etc, etc.

But I would highly recommend not using something like that, as many times they will also try "fixes" that employ methods of "cleaning tons of registry junk!!!!" to "fix" your PC. And it may work (very, very, very slightly better usually) after this "fix", or it may blue screen it if the wrong items are taken out.

It is better simply to keep a clean PC (both inside & out), ensure you have adequate RAM, & you should have no problems.

P.S. And SOMETIMES, these programs actually install trojans or other scumware that try to lock you in to buying their program with scare tactics such as "Oh no!!! We detected 5,000 problems on your PC!!! 3,000 invalid registry keys, & 2,000 file items with possible malware. It looks like you have (fill in the blank scary phrase here). Please send X amount of $$$ to this certain company to receive the unlock code so we can remove it for you!!!

I would definitely stay away from that if I were you. Not worth taking the risk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

if i remember correctly, i think it tells you all the fantasic things it could do to your PC but to actually do them requires buying the software.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.