Custom Files & Folder cleaning on Network Attached Storage not working

Hi

I use CCleaner's 'Custom Files & Folders' option to clean the trash folder on my Buffalo Network drive. All was working correctly up to and including version 3.20.1750

The option has not worked on all the updates since 1750 including the latest which I tried today (3.21.1800) so I have reinstalled 1750 and all is working again.

Anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks

mesaboogieman

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Just a long shot, but could the "Custom Files and Folders" box in "CCleaner\Windows\Advanced" be clearing itself when you install the later versions?

As I say a long shot, but maybe try toggling the setting, and also toggle the "Save all settings to ini file" with the alternative save in the registry option.

If nothing else, we can at least eliminate that possibility.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

You give far too little information.

What EXACTLY (including specific paths and files) are you expecting to remove with your custom attack on the "trash folder" ?

Are you attacking "specific paths and files" with any wild cards, because that now works in a different way :-

See the change log on :-

http://www.filehippo...hangelog/12905/

- Added support for Windows Server 2012.

- Added Opera plug-in cache cleaning.

- Added benchmarking for Cleaner summary results.

- Improved Startup Tool loading algorithm.

- Improved Drive support in Drive Wiper tool.

- Improved Font Cache cleaning.

- Improved Wildcard behavior in search boxes.

- Improved System Restore discovery.

- Improved Windows 8 identification.

- Added cleaning for Universal Extractor.

- Updated Internet Download Manager cleaning.

- Added Tatar translation.

- Minor GUI improvements and bug fixes.

Hi

Thanks for all your suggestions. Have tried them all several times including resetting the location/path which is fairly idiot proof but still have the problem, Custom file/folder cleaning does not work for me with the last few versions.

Also tried complete uninstall of older version and fresh install of latest version .... problem still exists.

My added location in the 'Include' setup is- W:\trashbox\*.* (where 'W' is my Buffalo NAS drive)

Reinstalled version 3.20.1750 with the same settings and everything works as it should.

Can someone from the CC team have a look at this please.

Regards

mesaboogieman

W:\trashbox\*.* is a wild card which according to the change log has new behavior.

W:\trashbox\*.* has never had fully defined behavior because there are several variant options when including a Drive or Folder.

I suggest you use the Advanced menu and check the box "Save all settings to INI file",

then close CCleaner and you should find a new file "CCLeaner.ini" in the same folder as CCleaner exe or CCleaner64.exe

View (but do not edit/change) CCleaner.ini with Notepad and amongst the text you should see a line such as :-

This is likely to give a full definition such as :-

IncludeN=PATH|W:\trashbox\|*.*

IncludeN=PATH|W:\trashbox\|*.*|RECURSE

IncludeN=PATH|W:\trashbox\|*.*|REMOVESELF

I suggest you copy the relevant line and paste into your next reply,

and also provide the full path and name of a file which is removed by the older versions but not the latest versions of CCleaner.

NB "IncludeN" is actually "Include1" or "Include2" or "Include3" etc.

After obtaining the information from CCleaner.ini you can launch CCleaner.exe and uncheck the box "Save all settings to INI file",

Hi Alan B

Thank you for your assistance with this issue.

The full path and name of a file which is removed by the older versions and not the latest ones is for example:

W:\trashbox\ccsetup323.exe

The relevant line from the .ini file for the 'Include' option is:

Include2=PATH|W:\trashbox\|*.*|RECURSE

This line is exactly the same in both the older and newer versions.

Regards

mesaboogieman

I have a partition X:\

I created the folder X:\Zap\zz\

I downloaded and unzipped the portable ccsetup323.zip

I launched the 64 bit version and then to instantly un-tick every box I clicked the main Windows entries and the main Applications entries.

I copied to X:\Zap\zz\ the file setup_SuperfinderXT.exe

I ticked the box "Custom Files and Folders",

I added the include for X:\Zap\zz\*.*

CCleaner.ini saw this as

Include1=PATH|X:\Zap\zz\|*.*|RECURSE

Analyze found and reported the target file setup_SuperfinderXT.exe, and did so with both normal and 1 pass secure deletion

I reverted to normal deletion and then ran CCleaner v323 and It reported removal and Windows Explorer saw it disappear.

The portable version works for me

I suggest you try the portable version which is at

http://www.piriform....wnload/portable

If this works for you we have more to think about.

Assuming that the Portable version also fails then there are two possibilities to consider :-

Your Buffalo Network drive partition W:\ is not the same as my SATA connected internal secondary drive partition X:\

and perhaps the latest versions of CC have forgotten how to work with a Network drive.

Is there any possibility that your drive is "Green - Energy saving" and powers down when not in use ?

It may be worth stipulating the exact product which you use, and whether you needed special Buffalo drivers.

2. SCI-FI

CCleaner is now so intelligent it has become self aware and chooses to preserve the life of its father - ccsetup323.exe :)

Alan

hi alan

thanks for your ongoing assistance. i downloaded the portable version (latest) as you suggested. unfortunately it also failed to analyse or clean my network drive. both the latest version of the portable and full install versions do clean files using 'custom cleaning' on my other hard drive partitions ok.

it looks like the later versions do not work with my network drive correctly. as earlier versions work fine on my system/setup it appears cc have inadvertently broken their product.

regards

mesaboogieman

p.s sorry, for some reason i can't get capitals letters to stick in this post.

please add to the custom files & folders include a similar test on a folder that is on a partition (preferably not c:\) on an internal drive and also if available a flash drive.

if you find the same problem when the buffalo network drive is not the target then there is something problematic with your computer which has me stumped.

assuming your problem is restricted to use with the buffalo network then it would help the developers to investigate if you identify :-

version of windows and service pack level and whether 32 bit or 64 bit;

whether you use normal or secure over-write deletion;

exact details of your buffalo network drive, and any related drivers and versions.

n.b.

there is always the chance that another forum member may have a buffalo network drive of exactly the same type and can test whether his system has the same problem.

p.s..

i am getting a bit angry and am shouting at the forum webmaster

this p.s. is all upper case because i have clicked the caps lock

all my sentences above start with a capital letter

and they change to lower case upon preview.

edit

p.p.s

just posted and pleased to see your p.s. - it is not just my browser gone wonky.

Edited by Alan_B

hi alan

problem only occurs when trying to clean my network drive which is a buffalo link station, model ls-chle2a. firmware version 1.61

i am using windows 7 ultimate 32bit

just to reiterate, the problem only exists when using versions after 3.20.1750

hopefully another forum member will have a similar network drive and can advise if they have the same issue or not with the latest versions of ccleaner.

regards

mesaboogieman

this is a buffalo forum

http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/

i searched for any reference to ccleaner and found none.

i searched for ls-chle2a and could not find it.

can you post a link to the product, or failing that its nearest replacement / equivalent.

this might assist the developers in identifying your equipement and its issues.

regards

alan

thanks for the pdf

i was getting nowhere with the various links you attempted, including the non-shortened url's

and i begin thinking that buffalo serve different regions and perhaps restrict some documents

so i changed the default from usa to europe and still got nowhere.

your attached file should definitely help the developers to understand what equipment you have.

is it possible that your buffalo is shared by more than one computer,

and access controls over w:\trashbox\ from one computer are restricting ccleaner delete actions from the other computer ?

i really have exhausted all i can think of for now.

regards

alan

hi alan

yes, hopefully the developers can help. the over-riding factor is that i have no problem when using v3.20.1750 (or previous versions) but all the later versions have the issue. reinstalling the earlier version always fixes the issue, so it must be a bug in the software in my opinion.

thanks alan for your input.

how do we bump this issue to the dev team?

regards

ron

• Moderators
how do we bump this issue to the dev team?

You've done all you can do really by having this in the "bugs" section. The devs do follow this section closely, and although they may not feel the need to comment, I'm sure they will have taken note.

If the issue hasn't been fixed with the next iteration of CCleaner, then bump the thread.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Thanks for updating the information mesaboogieman.

At least you have a working version to use, and hopefully the devs will take note of your continuing issue and provide a fix eventually.

And you never know. One of the members may have something new for you to try, although Alan just about went the whole 9 yards with his suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...