rar_auto_file

hazelnut

• Moderators

Just got around to updating to 3.11 and wondered if anyone knew about these which are showing in the registry cleaning area. They are numbered from 0 down to 99.

Obviously I have unticked them for now !!

post-1555-0-96070800-1318658552_thumb.jpg

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hazel, this happens when you have a RAR archive file that is split into parts.

Windows RAR will extract all the pieces into the exact same layout that it was before it was split.

People commonly split these files before uploading, due to the limitations of an upload slot (100 MB, 200 MB, etc), especially if the file size is several GB.

The files will be sequentially numbered, & as such, they will appear as .r00, .r01, .r02, etc, so that Win Rar can combine them in the correct order.

It is safe to remove these.

• Moderators

You may need to re-register WinRAR's filetypes using WinRAR, or even re-install it as a last resort. Those really shouldn't be showing up in CCleaner's registry cleaner if WinRAR has its extensions properly registered.

They should be in the registry like this when properly registered, you shouldn't really need or have "rar_auto_file":

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.r00]
@="WinRAR"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.r01]
@="WinRAR"

and so forth, mine only goes up to .r29

So CCleaner may actually be correct in seeing them as invalid!

Edit:

Also your CCleaner version in the screenshot is outdated, the new version is 3.11.1550.

• Moderators

I use 7zip Andavari and have done for a while, before that I used WinRar.

Then I'd say you have a tidbit of WinRAR leftover, I know it doesn't completely remove everything from the registry. It's most likely safe to let CCleaner remove that invalid key since 7-Zip stores it's archives different such as this for example and it would be the same for the RAR's it supports:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\7-Zip.zip]
@="zip Archive"

I just checked my registry and I go up to .r29. I ran CCleaner and they did not show up...but I am using both WinRar and 7Zip. If you aren't using WInrar anymore, then I would guess they are leftovers.

25qd6wl.jpg

• Moderators

I just checked my registry and I go up to .r29. I ran CCleaner and they did not show up...but I am using both WinRar and 7Zip. If you aren't using WInrar anymore, then I would guess they are leftovers.

That's exactly the same for me. And you're right they are leftovers.