Have A Major VSS Problem

Tom AZ

I'm not when or how this happened, but sometime during the last month or so, I lost some important Windows XP VSS components (volume shadow copy). I'm not even exactly sure what's missing, but I do know that the whole 'VSS process' is comprised of several files and services. And, I do know that my VSS writers are gone and that I no longer have one necessary and important Service ("Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider").

I've spent hours and hours researching this and trying to come up with a fix ? but so far, I've been unsuccessful. The whole thing seems to have become very complicated ? and definitely way over my head.

I've even tried using some old system restore points. In one of those restores that was about 3 weeks old, I was able to recover the missing MS Service, but nothing else. However that restore point was far too old for my comfort level, so I reverted back to where I began ? and obviously, forfeited the recovery of that particular MS Service.

Sure wish there were a simple way to correct all of this (if there is such a thing), but I'm afraid it doesn't exist. Probably just going to have to do without VSS until I can get a new computer some day.

It's a component built into Windows that checks the integrity of certain system files. If it finds that they have been modified or do not exist it pulls the original ones from the Windows install disc or a Windows install cache (if one exists on your computer) and replaces them.

sfc basically checks the files installed on your computer and compares it with your Windows install CD.

While this works for some situations it may cause conflict with files legitimately modified due to Windows updates.

If you still cannot get VSS working then it's either a case of using a different backup application or performing a "repair" install of Windows.

Richard S.

If you still cannot get VSS working then it's either a case of using a different backup application or performing a "repair" install of Windows.

Richard S.

I'm currently using Macrium Reflect. Are there other backup utilities that do not use VSS?

Also, do you think there's a reasonable chance of success with a "Repair" install of Windows? I have the original install disks, but currently using SP3. So, what disks would I use for this?

• Moderators

Do you not have a recent Image you could restore Tom?

Seems too obvious a question, but you're a long time user of Macrium, and it hasn't been mentioned.

If you or anyone knows which files/components are missing, they'll all be there inside an Image of your System Drive. I can't remember what it was, but I do remember we fixed something some time back by pinching the missing components from a mounted Macrium Image.

That probably shouldn't have worked, but it did.

The only program I know that doesn't require VSS is DriveImage XML but only when you use it from a BartPE boot CD.

While running under normal Windows it still requires the Volume Snapshot Service.

As for "repair" install (keep old files) this should correct your VSS problems because it's like having a fresh install of Windows.

You should only use this as a last resort because all software and drivers on your machine may require re-installed.

To save time with Service Pack 3 you can slip stream and customise your Windows install CD using nLite.

Richard S.

Do you not have a recent Image you could restore Tom?

Seems too obvious a question, but you're a long time user of Macrium, and it hasn't been mentioned.

If you or anyone knows which files/components are missing, they'll all be there inside an Image of your System Drive. I can't remember what it was, but I do remember we fixed something some time back by pinching the missing components from a mounted Macrium Image.

That probably shouldn't have worked, but it did.

Actually, Dennis, I have thought about that on numerous occasions. However, the four Images I have are just too old to simply restore without creating a bunch of other problems.

I've even considered what you said about just grabbing the missing components from a mounted Image. I would probably try that in an instant if I knew what components I was missing. Very honestly, I'm just not sure, other than for the one Service I know I'm missing (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider) -- and I wouldn't begin to know where/how to look for that.

If anyone knows what components make up VSS (and where they're located), that would be incredibly helpful. Very likely, they could be on one of my Images.

Macrium uses VSS when that functions, but if VSS is dead then it reports a problem and falls back to its own substitute, pssnap. See

http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3500

I believe that applies to v4 and also v5.

I gave more links in the topic you started at

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=33040

N.B. You do not have to RESTORE an image to create a partition holding a duplicate version of an old C:\.

You can MOUNT (EXPLORE) the image to create a temporary read-only version with an available drive letter.

This can be explored or searched by Windows explorer or Superfinder XT which is down now but normally is available at

http://fsl.sytes.net/

Unfortunately "Everything" from http://www.voidtools.com/ refuses to look at mounted drive letters,

it also does not look at proper FAT32 partitions - probably because the blistering speed is courtesy of MFT

You can simply search for the name and get the target plus path, and then copy what you find to your system C:\.

An even better solution is BestSync. I use the Free portable 64 bit version from

http://www.risefly.com/fsedwld.htm

I always MOUNT (EXPLORE) the image of C:\ as letter P:\ and then launch BestSync.

Within much less then 1 minute it displays a convenient tree showing all the discrepancies between C:\ and P:\

It only takes a few quick clicks to cancel the checkmarks for the discrepancies to be disregarded,

and then it can synchronise to automatically update C:\ with earlier versions of how things were when it worked.

No error prone drag-dropping a file from one instance of explorer looking at P:\??? to another looking at C:\???

It's hard to fix the problem when you don't know the cause furthermore there could be other system services with problems too.

Have you checked the System event logs (eventvwr.exe) is it screaming errors such as COM and corrupt databases??

I did some research on VSS a few years ago I wanted to add a VSS plugin for BartPE since no one had bothered to write one.

I can tell you VSS has a lot of registry keys and keys that reference other keys as well as dependency to other components and services.

In the end I canned the idea it was too much trouble that it was worth at which point I had discovered DriveImage XML for BartPE.

Anyway I still believe the best course of action is a fresh install of Windows + SP3 using nLite.

It maybe a pain getting everything back working i.e. applications and drivers but your machine will feel like new again. :)

Richard S.

As for "repair" install (keep old files) this should correct your VSS problems because it's like having a fresh install of Windows.

May I suggest an emphatic distinction between "repair VIA WINDOWS INSTALLATION DISCS" and "repair VIA CONTROL PANEL".

I have often been in the control panel add/remove which has the stupid name change that gets me lost in Windows 7.

I am well aware that some programs have a REPAIR option.

I have never done a repair install.

I have a concern that some people may not be aware of anything other than "repair VIA CONTROL PANEL".

Actually, Dennis, I have thought about that on numerous occasions. However, the four Images I have are just too old to simply restore without creating a bunch of other problems.

Is that really a problem ?

I recently found an abnormality and after due consideration I took an image of my latest damaged system.

Then I restored back by 2 months before the abnormality.

Everything worked as it had been, no new errors.

Then I mounted the latest image as P:\ and compared BUT DID NOT SYNCHRONISE because that would trash the registry consistency.

The comparison reminded me of all the new applications I had installed, and all those I had updated.

Then I re-did all the new installations and updates and re-compared with P:\ until everything was correct,

and finally I used BestSync to synchronise the desktop so my latest shortcuts appeared where I was looking (got me a new BIG screen).

Two more thoughts.

The WinPE Boot Rescue CD can CREATE an image as well as RESTORE one, even in the absence of the Live Windows VSS services etc.

I imagine the LINUX Boot CD can do the same - I just do not want to know LINUX after grief in the distant past.

If you visit the Macrium forum and search for "vss" there are 17 topics with innumerable posts which may tell what belongs where.

May I suggest an emphatic distinction between "repair VIA WINDOWS INSTALLATION DISCS" and "repair VIA CONTROL PANEL".

Control Panel won't help the Volume Snapshot Service is not a software add-on you can manually install, uninstall or repair it's a Windows service which comes pre-installed.

Richard S.

At OP, honestly I would just run SFC. I run SP3 and SFC has never caused any problems with regards to overwriting updates. And even if they did I could just install them again from Windows Updates.

Control Panel won't help the Volume Snapshot Service is not a software add-on you can manually install, uninstall or repair it's a Windows service which comes pre-installed.

You have told me nothing that I did not already know and fully understand,

but there may be many people who do not appreciate this, and it is their needs I have in mind

I repeat

'I have a concern that some people may not be aware of anything other than "repair VIA CONTROL PANEL".'

To put it another way,

when you say "repair", the only repair these people will go for is "repair VIA CONTROL PANEL" because they know nothing else.

• Moderators

To be honest Alan I have never heard of 'repair via control panel' to do with XP or win7. Repair in Win7 is usually done via the sys repair disk you should make after getting your win 7 machine or being offered the repair option on your screen when the machine is 'not well'

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

To be honest Alan I have never heard of 'repair via control panel' to do with XP or win7. Repair in Win7 is usually done via the sys repair disk you should make after getting your win 7 machine or being offered the repair option on your screen when the machine is 'not well'

Sorry, "repair via control panel" is my terminology to overcome the appalling chaos created by Microsoft within the Control Panel.

On XP and Win 7 we Start with START

On both we go to CONTROL PANEL.

Now the nightmare begins, all names are changed to confuse the innocent.

What was Add/Remove is now apparently Programs and Features.

In Win 7 I can select a program and this gives the option Uninstall,

it may also give the options Change and/or Repair

This Repair is what I have in mind when I said "repair via control panel".

I vaguely remember similar capabilities on XP within Add/Remove.

• Moderators

I think this is gonna be a case of choosing the least painful option Tom.

Is it worse carrying on with the problems you have now and will have in the future with a crippled VSS, or reverting to a previous time with an Image, and overcoming the problems you say this will produce.

If you have the space, make an Image of your System now, and if restoring a previous Image gives worse problems which can't be overcome, then restore back to your crippled VSS state.

I would add that I strongly suggest having a run with the re-registering of dll's suggestion from the link in Andavari's post. After lengthy researching, that suggested fix has appeared a number of times.

It can't do any harm as registering a dll which is already registered doesn't break it, but if isn't registered it's worse than useless. IMO you've got nothing to lose by giving that a try.

Alan's suggestions also holds water, as I believe you have the paid version of Macrium which may enable you to do the "comparison" between a good but old Image and an Image made of your System now.

I'm a lowly free version user, so can't even look at that, but it does sound like a viable proposition.

If we can help with the problems restoring an old Image will cause, you just have to ask Tom.

Here's an update on my VSS problem. But first, I want to thank everyone who has chimed in for being so kind and willing to help ? and, of course, for all the good suggestions (many of which I tried).

After working on this for almost three weeks now, I've decided to give up ? everything is the same as it was with no vss. But, it's no longer as big a problem for me as I first thought. It appears that the only application I have that really needs or uses vss is Macrium Reflect ? and that was a big concern to me.

However, after numerous e-mails with Macrium, I've learned that Reflect is always packaged with 'psscan' ? a proprietary driver, which is an alternative to vss. So, if 'vss' fails, 'psscan' jumps in and takes over and the Image can still be created (and restored) successfully.

Actually, I now have a couple Images that have been created this way and they seem to be just fine. In fact, I have mounted them in Explorer and everything appears to be in tact. As I understand it, the only downside to 'psscan' is that it creates a slightly larger Image (due to the fact that it also backs up all system restore points)? and so obviously, it also takes a little longer. Apparently, vss by-passes restore points.

Anyway, that's where things stand as of now. And again, thanks to everyone for all the help.

My Win 7 started life with Macrium and system Restore is disabled,

My previous XP was less fortunate, so the last thing before making a backup was to use Windows Cleanup and delete all but the final R.P.,

and immediately before that I created a new R.P. so the final R.P. was as fresh and small as possible.