Edit location of System Restore utility

I think it would be nice if System Restore utility had the option to be moved to the CCleaner section as a clickable option.

It would be so nice to have a set it & forget it "remove all but the last restore point" checkmark box, so it could do this each time ccleaner is run (automatically).

Thanks!

CCleaner ONLY removes the chosen registry hives so that that the chosen R.P. cannot be restored, and this may typically reduce the space taken by 85%.

The remaining 15% is all the deleted/changed file snapshots that are retained and without which restoration to an earlier R.P. would correctly reinstate the registry,

but there would be inconsistencies in the reinstated files if the 15% had been deleted with the registry hives.

I do not know if CCleaner has been improved,

but when I first looked at the operation if ALL the previous R.P. had been deleted by CCleaner,

only the hives were deleted and all the residual 15% were retained,

but without an earlier Registry hive the System Restore would never restore the old files,

so built in Windows Disc Cleanup was 15% better than CCleaner at cleaning all but the latest R.P.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really think it's such a good ideal, to each their own. Since System Restore is literally a save your butt utility it should probably remain something done manually.

Hmmmm...

I thought clicking an option was manual...

Maybe it just clicks itself automatically?

I was thinking if a user checkmarked it, they would be fully aware of what they were doing, just like the other options in CCleaner for "advanced" users.

Surely, the option would not be there if it was dangerous? Or would it?

I was thinking if a user checkmarked it, they would be fully aware of what they were doing.

Some novices were told by their mothers to wash behind their ears,

and they grow up thinking the cleaner it is the better it is,

so they check all the boxes.

Surely, the option would not be there if it was dangerous? Or would it?

Yes there are dangerous options,

which is why this forum is visited by people with broken computers

Cleaning a Firefox cache is safe, all you have lost are bits of internet junk accumulated whilst browsing,

and the next time you run Firefox it grows itself another one.

Purging Restore Points means you have destroyed the possibility of cancelling out all recent problems.

When an application update, or even worse, a Patch Tuesday blitz, has created multiple Restore Points as a safety measure,

it is folly to have the next run of CCleaner destroy all hope of repair.

Purging Restore Points means you have destroyed the possibility of cancelling out all recent problems.

When an application update, or even worse, a Patch Tuesday blitz, has created multiple Restore Points as a safety measure,

it is folly to have the next run of CCleaner destroy all hope of repair.

I thought that's why CCleaner always saves the last restore point?

I am not sure, but when using XP Home I believe Windows default Disc Cleanup could not remove the latest R.P.,

and the only way to remove it was to stop/kill/break/whatever some service or other to disable Restore Points and monitoring.

As soon as you enabled it you had no options - EVERY accessibly NTFS partition instantly had a new R.P.

and you have to go around manually disabling monitoring on every partition that should not have that HDD and CPU resource hog.

The last and final R.P. which is not deleted was brand new between 1 second ago and 24 hours ago

(unless a registry key that Google remembers has altered how often they are created).

It really is a matter of luck if a single restore point can take you back to a pre-disaster era if it remembers only the last few seconds.

Three weeks ago I unleashed essential patches when I concluded work that required a stable non-varying system.

Then I started a new project which also required stability and a week ago I recognised a degradation of performance due to those updates.

Now I have finished that project I am restoring the system from the image captured just before the patches were allowed in,

and I will carefully observe each patch as I allow it to enter, and knock it out if that is the culprit.

Anyone in my situation that used Restore Points and only had the latest one that was one day old would have no hope whatsoever.

Often I have seen an application create a Restore point to create a "back to sanity" fall back position,

and then create more restore points and critical points during the installation process.

I think I have seen Windows Security Patches create a "back to sanity" fall back position before the updates,

and I feel there were more Restore Points for each and every patch that arrived courtesy of Black Patch Tuesdays.

I think the last Restore Point that is preserved by both CCleaner and Disc Cleanup is almost never a "back to sanity" fall back position.

and the day after a Black Patch Tuesday you may need to go back past several "back to sanity" fall back positions.