How do they do this?

DennisD

I remember watching it - and to be honest, I thought it was going to be one of those videos where you think it's one thing - and then it switches to another image that is supposed to scare you, like one of those screaming faces. But I was just overly impressed with their job, and I realize I couldn't do it.

AJ

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to watch this right to the end, and it wasn't easy. See if you can.

I watched it to the end and like you said it was not easy for me either when you have the fear of heights. You couldn't get me up there even if you offered me all the money in the world. :D

Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive: macOS Catalina 10.15.7 
 iMac Clone and Backup with: SuperDuper, Time Machine & iCloud 
aka ~ "Popeye" on the Malwarebytes Forum.

• Moderators

I'll add another question to the one in the thread title ...

"Why did they do this?"

There are 3 prongs on the top, and that's it. They've climbed past anything which looked like it could have a fault.

Maybe it's that black thing which I believe is a light, which begs the question, "How many men with huge b**** does it take to change a light bulb?"

--------------------

@ProTruckDriver, Welcome to the forum. :)

• 2 weeks later...

@ProTruckDriver, Welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you DennisD, I enjoy being here. Lot of good information on this forum. :)

Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive: macOS Catalina 10.15.7 
 iMac Clone and Backup with: SuperDuper, Time Machine & iCloud 
aka ~ "Popeye" on the Malwarebytes Forum.

• 3 weeks later...

If I were up there, I'd have arrived by helicopter, and would have a parachute on my back.

They base jump from smaller structures than that.

That is quite high.

I might would do it if it paid enough.

I work with a tree service & sometimes we have to climb trees about 150 ft or so.

Hate the ones closer to hotlines, especially when it's windy.

• Moderators

I work with a tree service & sometimes we have to climb trees about 150 ft or so.

Hate the ones closer to hotlines, especially when it's windy.

I'll bet you're not Super Fast getting up those trees! :lol:

I managed to watch this right to the end, and it wasn't easy. See if you can.

Absolutely amazing how anyone could do this. I will never again complain about any job I need to do!

For an old guy like you Dennis, you have to be careful watching terrifying videos :rolleyes:

Thank you DennisD, I enjoy being here. Lot of good information on this forum. :)

Welcome ProTruckDriver. Lots & lots of good info on this forum for sure - you found the best forum!

If I were up there, I'd have arrived by helicopter, and would have a parachute on my back.

They base jump from smaller structures than that.

If I had a parachute, I would check that it is properly packed & is in working condition PERSONALLY.

Too late to have a malfunctioning parachute once you are up there!

That is your only lifeline! I remember working at a grocery store when trucks would come in. Occasionally, we'd get boxes or bottles that were completely empty, although they were in brand new unopened containers!

Yes, I'd have to check that parachute!

I'll bet you're not Super Fast getting up those trees! :lol:

Well, to be honest, I don't really enjoy that part. Sometimes it isn't too bad, depending on the tree type, size, height, whether they have poisonous vines, briars, etc on the tree.

We try to get what we can from the truck, but seems a lot of people chicken out on climbing. Even those that do, some of them chicken out after about the 30 to 40 ft height mark. Very hard to actually get climbers to go near the tops of taller trees when they are 120 to 150 ft or higher. I think there are about 4 or 5 of us where we work that actually do that.

It definitely can be scary to look down, & climbing monster trees is no fun because it is harder to get your safety around the tree.

It is a job though. At least with those towers, you don't have to worry so much about the size of the tree, so hooking your line would be much easier.

I would have 2 lines if I were doing that though, so if I slipped while attaching one, the other would catch me. Additionally, because of the fact that people can sometimes black out, or have something happen. Had one guy years back who had just started up a tree & momentarily passed out a few seconds before coming back too. Luckily, he was tied in though.

Height wise, those structures are much higher than the trees we climb, but they look a lot easier to skinny up. For the right pay, it might be worth it. I wouldn't do it for fun, but if they paid me well enough, I would do it.