Deleted Firefox tabs at restart

John Grey

When closing firefox it asks if it should remember the open tabs.

But even after I click "save tabs" they still are removed at the next restart. This has never happened in the last 10 years until a few weeks ago, when I updated both Firefox and cCleaner.

Is one of my settings (see: Attachment) wrong?

Will it make a difference and fix this, if I un- and re-install cCleaner and/or Firefox?

I had some problems before when I updated firefox, some of the add-ons and apps no longer worked. So I went back the older version and the problem was solved.

Still, firefox asks me, and I say "safe tabs" it should not really forget my tabs, so I suppose it must be cCleaner?

Thanks again, JG

post-27811-0-56401100-1295224058_thumb.png

• Moderators

i would first attempt unchecking internet history in the firefox section.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

i would first attempt unchecking internet history in the firefox section.

Good, I will try this one and tell you tomorrow. Thank you!

Some hours later...

no, no difference, but then then I tried something else... I simply close firefox... did NOT use cCleaner at all, and opened it ten minutes later again.... and again no tabs... so I am now certain that it is firefox itsself... unless you suggest otherwise????

• 2 weeks later...

JG..

I don't know if you figured this out by now, but in MY case, the FF tabs I chose to "save" upon exit, no longer opened due to the following:

Go to Cleaner> Applications Tab> Firefox/Mozilla. IF there is a checkmark next to "Sessions", UNcheck it.

No doubt, if you had it checked, you will find it was the cause of the problem.

Best of luck..

Carol

When closing firefox it asks if it should remember the open tabs.

But even after I click "save tabs" they still are removed at the next restart. This has never happened in the last 10 years until a few weeks ago, when I updated both Firefox and cCleaner.

Is one of my settings (see: Attachment) wrong?

Will it make a difference and fix this, if I un- and re-install cCleaner and/or Firefox?

I had some problems before when I updated firefox, some of the add-ons and apps no longer worked. So I went back the older version and the problem was solved.

Still, firefox asks me, and I say "safe tabs" it should not really forget my tabs, so I suppose it must be cCleaner?

Thanks again, JG

To John Grey

First

If you clear data when closing Firefox you must not set the option Visisted Pages to be cleared.

Second

When using CCleaner you must un-tick Session, under Application

Third

Remember to protect Google Cookies if you use any of their services. That is to stay logged in.

I hope that somebody at Mozilla sees this as their are no information in depth on the App Tab functions

Good luck

Gorm

I've had a similar problem today. Up til now my firefox session data (tabs) has always been retained through reboots. In ccleaner I had clean firefox session data unticked.

However, after updating ccleaner recently, I lost my firefox session data after a reboot. I checked ccleaner, and found that clean firefox session data was now ticked. I had not changed this myself.

Is this a one off bug due to upgrading, or could it happen again ? Do I need to disable ccleaner for now ? I was quite annoying as I've lost a lot of information.

I use Windows 7 x64.

Can you please let us know Firefox, OS and CCleaner version you are using?

Firefox 3.6.13, latest released version

Windows 7 x64, all windows updates applied

CCleaner 3.03.1366 (64-bit)

Also, after my latest reboot, I again checked the firefox clear session setting in ccleaner, and it had remained unticked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

CC v4.07.4369. Firefox latest version, XPPro.

I was very disappointed that all my 20 FFtabs were removed in the latest operation of CCleaner. This has never happened before and I did not know that Session was enabled.

I have FF set to Show my windows and tabs from last time. This has always worked, even with FF and Windows crashes, for many years, including years of using CCleaner. Until now.

How do I recover the tabs?

I suggest in future that you disable this Session option from the default in future versions.

If you are not willing to do this, how can I disable it permanently myself? Maybe by using Options - Exclude?

• Moderators

Try unticking: Cleaner > Applications > Firefox > Session

Allot of Firefox grief caused by cleaning tools (not just CCleaner), etc., can be easily avoided by regularly making a compressed backup of the Firefox profiles using a Zip tool.

Thanks for your reply, however I knew this.

Like I wrote, I have used CCleaner for years and never had this issue before last week. This means that Session was never ticked by default before in earlier versions.

I should not have to save session profiles in order to save tabs in Firefox.

I repeat that I would like CCleaner to not tick Session in all future versions.

• Moderators

if indeed Session is the cause, what about other users who run CC to do exactly that, remove all the left-opened tabs in FF.

whichever way the default setting goes (ticked or not ticked) someone isn't going to like it. :)

(obviously not the way you want, but what about adding those lost tabs to the Home Page, separated with | is that an option?)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks for your reply, however I knew this.

Like I wrote, I have used CCleaner for years and never had this issue before last week. This means that Session was never ticked by default before in earlier versions.

I should not have to save session profiles in order to save tabs in Firefox.

I repeat that I would like CCleaner to not tick Session in all future versions.

I think you are very probably wrong.

If you totally remove and all its registry settings and then performed a clean install,

then you accept the new defaults that the new installation comes with and you need to review all the boxes.

If you simply update then your old settings should be the same as before,

and all that you need to look for are new boxes that may by default be ticked to enhance cleaning.

( If you do not want to enhance cleaning then why update :) )

I think your problem could be that Firefox is unstable - it is always being updated according to whims and fancies of developers.

Some little while ago Mozilla changed the database file that held something (I think it was related to download history).

Perhaps a recent Firefox update has now relocated something else from a database that was not being cleaned to one that is.