DVD will not read

login123

LuLu's topic here Windows won't load... caused me to get out an old DVD with information on it about an Acer laptop. Thought that some of the info on it would be of use. My DVD drive now will not read it. It would read it before, and it wrote it.

Maybe someone might know of a quick fix, or some other way to read it. It has a ton of information on it, and I deleted the backup on the external USB drive. Ugh.

Pertinent information:

- The defunct DVD is a full size DVD -r

- - looks clean, no visible scratches, fingerprints, etc.

- - it is pretty old, has turned sort of yellow.

- The drive is an HP DVD writer 740b, which right now:

- - Will not recognize that the defunct DVD is in the drive.

- - Will read another DVD -r, a DVD +r, a CD -r, a mini DVD-r, and that is all I have tried.

- - Will boot and run a live CD, a live DVD -r, and a live mini DVD -r

- Recuva and others won't work, the drive doesn't recognize the DVD.

- Have tried one other CD drive, on a laptop, no go there either.

The only thing that has happened since it was "readable" is that I tried to manually eject a mini-DVD (not the defunct one) that was spinning and got a very disturbing rasping noise, but as said, everything else will still read, so I think the problem is with this DVD only.

Any ideas? :( Thanks.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Doesn't sound good as your drive reads other stuff OK, and another drive can't read this DVD. I think I've got that right.

Try running the DVD with "VSO Inspector" (Freeware), which will do a surface scan and file test. (Assuming it might read it)

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/07/16/test-cd-or-dvd-readability-by-running-surface-scan-and-file-test/

Somewhere to start at least.

Yes, you got it right. Thanks for the quick reply...going now to get that and try it. :-)

edit: Installed it, no restart called for, ran it w/ DVD in the drive.

Firmware up to date on the DVD drive, VSO inspector shows that a DVD -r is in the drive, "Book Type" is unknown, scan won't start, no data shows.

Ran it again with the little Slitaz mini DVD in the drive, and it showed the type of dvd, the information about the data, other information.

Guess that particular DVD -r has gone south. Any ideas why?

Pretty impressive app, there. :-) DennisD, yooda mann...even if Hazelnut "scoops" you on the occasional spammer. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

OK, will try that, must wait though, have to log off now. Will post back what happens.

• Moderators

The problem might be down to how you created the disk. I've just found an application that does this ...

Effectively retrieves the lost data from the discs created by "drag and drop" CD/DVD/BD writing software, such as well-known Sonic (Roxio, Adaptec) and Ahead Nero software packages, CeQuadrat's PacketCD, DLA, B's CLiP and others.

Reads unfinalized ("open", "left as-is") CDs and DVDs, including the discs with Microsoft's Live File system.

http://www.cdroller.com/

It's a commercial app, and I'm only posting a link for info purposes, as there may be freeware out there to do the same thing.

I think Roxio was installed on just about every new Windows machine. It was on mine until I binned it.

• Moderators

Probably a dead disc that has gone bad. Although I've never personally had a DVD go bad myself, I've however had countless CD-R's go kaput in just 2 years.

It can be down to several things, these I know off hand:

1. Crappy cheap media -- which most stores actually sell. Instead try to find some Taiyo Yuden discs online especially if using CD-R.

2. Not using/enabling a burning software that can Auto Verify the discs after burning them -- Ashampoo Burning Studio and ImgBurn can Auto Verify discs and it's a vital step to insure the discs are readable after being burned.

3. Improper storage of the disc such as near a heating exhaust/vent, in direct sunlight from a window, etc.

Probably that third issue, Andavari, I left it in a hot car for a couple of weeks before I found it.

CDRoller is a no go, no app recognizes that there is a disk in the drive. The DVD is a magnavox, OK quality I guess, several others still going strong.

One more thing to try, booting from it. Long shot, will let you know if it works. :-)

Edit: cleaning didn't work, nor booting, So I guess it is done for. Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

Edited by login123

• Moderators

Edit: cleaning didn't work, nor booting, So I guess it is done for. Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

Maybe, but you can use specialized disc recovery software which can bypass Windows which may allow recovery. One I've used in the past is IsoBuster, it's shareware though and I haven't used it in years so I don't know if it still allows you to use it in the very crippled freeware mode.

OK, Isobuster shows a blank disk. By the way, that is a super application, Andavari, thanks.

Going for the toothpaste now. Seems a bit odd, but if Hazelnut said it, it's so. :-)

If the reflective surface is damaged / gone bad (label side) then cleaning won't make any difference.

Sometimes reducing the spin speed using programs like Nero Drive Speed can improved your changes of recovery.

Richard S.

If the reflective surface is damaged / gone bad (label side) then cleaning won't make any difference.

Sometimes reducing the spin speed using programs like Nero Drive Speed can improved your changes of recovery.

Richard S.

Well, phooey. It has, I guess. It has turned sort of yellow, the part that was exposed to the sun, you can see pretty clearly which part was exposed, half is yellow, half is not.

I wouldn't keep on about this, but that DVD is full of information about that Acer, and I'm not sure if the owner will keep up w/ the other copies.

Got Nero Drive Speed, trying it now. Thank you.

edit: Drivespeed didn't help, the DVD drive just doesn't recognize that there is a DVD in it.

The toothpaste will have to wait. :-) Have to log off for a while.

• Moderators

Going for the toothpaste now. Seems a bit odd, but if Hazelnut said it, it's so. :-)

Not odd at all, it can allow some bad discs to be read - I've often seen it posted on audio forums when someone is trying to rip a badly scratched audio CD as a last ditch alternative to throwing out a damaged disc. Allot of people from the U.K. say to use T-cut, but if you don't live in the U.K. the possibilities of getting any at a reasonable price are unrealistic -- but you've gotta be careful using any car waxing products as they can shed off in the drive ruining it.

There's also disc resurfacing services (the absolute last ditch effort since it can completely destroy a disc), some video rental stores have the machines and will allow customers to have their discs resurfaced at a cost of course.

That would typically mean it is a blank usused disc...

:lol: Yep, I had that one already... :-)

I can see the changes in the writable surface where data are. Didn't erase it. Wrote on it what's in it.

:D Seems like this one is not "live" any more. Call it dormant.

I have done everything except the toothpaste. Skipped that as it is not scratched up, just has a couple of tiny shallow scratches.

It is quite clean, actually squeaks when you dry it. Several cleaning products used. No grit, just mild chemical detergents.

It was always kept in a plastic jewell case until just recently when this mammoth international recovery effort started. :P

The label side has discolored a bit, but worse looking ones will still read. The reflective surface referred to by Redhawk seems intact, although yellowed.

Tried it on 3 different computers.

All the drives tested attempt to read it, their lights flicker for a prolonged time, but then they give up.

All those apps used on this computer showed either no disk in the drive, or no data on the disk. But I can see the written sectors.

The writing on it, showing whats in it, did not prevent it from reading when it was first made, I checked.

The only possibilities I can see are that maybe sunlight "overwrote" the data on it, maybe heat warped the disk slightly (not visibly), or maybe the writing on it eventually bled through enough to zap it. Probably the sunlight.

I hate to give up on it, it has become a challenge, but seem to be out of options short of fancy hardware.

If nothing else this is a lesson to me and maybe others to take care of those darned disks, especially ones with costly data, like reinstall disks or backup images.

Going to put this one in the "inactive" file, not giving up yet, just waiting for the next epiphany.

I appreciate all the suggestions...much help, very kind, thanks a million.

The actual DVD, its little miserable self, prior to soaking.

Notice the brown discoloration on the upper left side of the label. This will be gone after soaking in Active and using the wood rasp. :P

4c3bdcfd2cb8.jpg cce625515f2.jpg

• Moderators

I've had countless CD-R's that look pristine not able to be read on Windows PC CD/DVD drives and all those contain MP3s, it's very strange how my home DVD recorder can read them though.:huh: Possibly Windows is part of the unreadable cause because it gives up so soon, don't know really.

How about soaking it overnight with your teeth in a bowl of Steradent.

I just about busted my gut laughing at that post!:lol: