Builtin Updater

am632

Hi everyone,

My suggestion is basically the title, i have thought about it for a while now and am surprised its not already been done, because when there is a new version out u hav 2 click the link to go 2 the website, then download and install the latest version.

It would be far better if it automatically updates you when you click yes to the update.

Like it says 'update is available, would you like to install now', click yes - 'installing update' bla bla.

Anyone agree?

hello and welcome to the forum. It's always a good idea to search before posting suggestions.

this has been requested hundreds of times, and possible answers to why it has not been added have been given on numerous occasions

No fate but what we make

Welcome,

1 of the reasons why it's because you can choose which build to install

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

That's just a cop-out reason. A built-in updater could "remember" the build currently installed and update it accordingly ? supposing even that the "extra" components (browser toolbar and home page) have been updated too.

"Do not mock the crocodile until you've finished crossing the river" (African proverb)

• 2 weeks later...

Google is your friend for an auto updater ;)

I'm starting to suspect that Piriform simply makes money from FileHippo, and/or they would spend a ton of money in bandwidth if each time they released a build they had a million installations all request the same file simultaneously.

Someone higher up please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm starting to suspect that Piriform simply makes money from FileHippo, and/or they would spend a ton of money in bandwidth if each time they released a build they had a million installations all request the same file simultaneously.

FileHippo isn't the only source of money. The Yahoo Toolbar is.

Piriform French translator

Those same million requests could just as easily come from people clicking that link. :)

Those same million requests could just as easily come from people clicking that link. :)

Plus if they use an auto updater, it would conserve around 50% of the normal bandwidth used by people to download, since the normal installer is far larger than the CCleaner file...

I wasn't actually refering to filehippo.. Just a tip ;)

Plus if they use an auto updater, it would conserve around 50% of the normal bandwidth used by people to download, since the normal installer is far larger than the CCleaner file...

This will result in severely reduced revenue in that 100% of downloads will not involve the yahoo toolbar.

This will result in severely reduced revenue in that 100% of downloads will not involve the yahoo toolbar.

Cool.

What if they include the yahoo toolbar in the auto update, & the give the user the same option to install it as they do in a normal installation?

Combine the toolbar with the update & still give them the same options, minus the trouble of re-downloading it to "reinstall"?

Would that work?

Cool.

What if they include the yahoo toolbar in the auto update, & the give the user the same option to install it as they do in a normal installation?

Combine the toolbar with the update & still give them the same options, minus the trouble of re-downloading it to "reinstall"?

Would that work?

It works for Java runtime updates, there's no reason why it wouldn't for CCleaner?

"Do not mock the crocodile until you've finished crossing the river" (African proverb)