Is it supposed to take 24 Hours to wipe clean free space

jckinnick

How many passes are you using for wipe? I don't use Free Space Wipe so I am guessing you may have wipe set for more than one pass. I recently wiped my free space with a different program. It took 42 mins to wipe 109.9 GB free space, single pass.

Think of this. If you have a large mostly-empty drive that would take one hour to wipe with one pass, it may take 35 hours to wipe with 35 passes. Any more than a single pass is pointless. Piriform provides the multi-pass feature only to appease demand by the paranoids. So if you are getting impatient (you seem to have plenty of patience if you've already lasted 24 hours), you may consider aborting and rewiping with only a single pass.

Edited

WFS can not be changed from one pass, Well this is the "rumor" i have never actually seen any evidence for this. Might be stated in the documents.

But to answer your question. A friend's company had serious data that needed to be destroyed, we left DBAN running for 4 days

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Depending upon the hard disk size and amount of available freespace it can take a very long time.

It should be stated also that if you aren't going to sale your computer anytime soon it's a complete waste of time to wipe free space. It also makes it impossible for programs like Piriform's Recuva to recover accidentally deleted files after running it.

It should be stated also that if you aren't going to sale your computer anytime soon it's a complete waste of time to wipe free space. .

*me refers you back to the lounge thread :D

No fate but what we make

What exactly are you referring to? I'm not a mind reader, and there's a ton of threads on this forum.

It was a joke about the guy/girl wanting to clean up pronz

No fate but what we make

Oh that. Well it's two different people, and the op of this topic may not like the "joke!"

oh god, the joke was to u, not the op. any one left with a sense of humor here

No fate but what we make

oh god, the joke was to u, not the op. any one left with a sense of humor here

Yes ident there is, take a couple of minutes and go to my "recently commenced" photo - cartoon site.

http:///tasderwent.posterous.com/

:D

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"