Can't Run CC - HELP!

Geekgirl88

Heya,

I downloaded CCleaner due to a positive recommendation from Reader's Digest. My computer was a bit sluggish, and CCleaner cleaned it right up. So that's all good. :)

My grandpa has a slightly older laptop than I do, and has so many Trojans and viruses on his computer that its even hard to type this post without a pop-up disrupting it. I downloaded CC to his computer, but when I double-click on CC's desktop icon, it comes up for about half a second, then just closes. I'll click on the icon several times, and it'll either open and close, or not come up at all.

Anyway, is there anyway to bring CC up and have it STAY up? His computer is so infected, it's pathetic.

• Moderators

Ccleaner is not a cleaner of virus and trojans, for that you need special help.

Please see the thread here and follow the steps that you can on his machine and post what logs you are able to into the Spyware Hell part of the forum.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If you have a way to restore Windows (e.g. a Windows disk with a key), you should backup all of his documents, reinstall Windows, install an AV, and then restore the documents - don't forget to scan them with the AV since they may be infected.

That will probably take less time than trying to remove each and every virus.

Piriform French translator

That will probably take less time than trying to remove each and every virus.

You reckon??? I know what you are saying if they do not really understand how to properly remove infections, But with the support offered from this site, im surer they could easily sort it with out format.

No fate but what we make

You reckon??? I know what you are saying if they do not really understand how to properly remove infections, But with the support offered from this site, im surer they could easily sort it with out format.

If it has loads of malware, one AV may not be enough, and some may not be able to run, and maybe there will still be rootkits which won't be detected... I do believe our spyware mods are good ; however, reinstalling Windows can be quicker, depending on how much data/software the computer has.

Piriform French translator

If it has loads of malware, one AV may not be enough, and some may not be able to run, and maybe there will still be rootkits which won't be detected... I do believe our spyware mods are good ; however, reinstalling Windows can be quicker, depending on how much data/software the computer has.

That sounds good to me, I'll have to see if my Grandpa has his original Windows CD, he might not, though. What other option would you recommend?

Also, what (free) AV would you recommend?

That sounds good to me, I'll have to see if my Grandpa has his original Windows CD, he might not, though. What other option would you recommend?

The only other option is what Hazel already suggested:

Ccleaner is not a cleaner of virus and trojans, for that you need special help.

Please see the thread here and follow the steps that you can on his machine and post what logs you are able to into the Spyware Hell part of the forum.

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=20120

• Moderators

That malware removal topic Hazelnut linked to is the first option to try as formatting/reinstalling is always a royal time consuming pain and is best avoided if possible. Plus it allows you to get to the point of putting on a good anti-virus and anti-malware scanner so you can at least backup important documents and such without having to worry about backing up infected files causing a repeat of the whole scenario.