Please explain meaning of CCleaner v2.28.1091 Advanced features

Ramesh Kumar

:)I am new here & this is my first post in the forum so kindly be patient with me! I have searched inside the forum & have not found these answers so far. Therefore I am asking you. What do these advanced features in CCleaner v2.28.1091 mean:-

1)Old Prefetch data - I have heard it said & explained that wiping off Prefetch is bad, even though this file regenerates itself. It was said so because wiping off slows down the computer - till such time that the Prefetch log file once again gets fully populated. In the interim period the computer runs slowly

2)User Assist History - What does it mean?

My OS is WinXp 32 bit Pro without .NET

Thanks

Ramesh :)

Hi hazelnut :) !

I am most impressed by your fast & to the point reply. As a new member it gives me a fine feeling..........I am obviously in a forum as fine as the wonderful product I use..........CCleaner 2.29.1111

I've read the documentation you annexed. Just 2 clarifications please:-

Btw I use WinXp Professional 32 bit non-.NET. All this while I thought there is only 1 Prefetch file & that it has 128 records & is regenerative. *What you are now telling me is that apart from a Prefetch file there is also an Old Prefetch file. CCleaner being a smart app only erases the old Prefetch file & does not sensibly touch the new one. Therefore I can safely choose this option. Am I right? Have I now understood you correctly?*

1. The explanation of IIS Log was too brief for me to understand. So please explain to me what is IIS Log
  2. 2

• Moderators
In Firefox 3.5.8 my bookmarks are disappearing.

In Firefox you must untick/disable the setting in 'Tools->Clear Recent History' to keep your bookmarks intact:

(Click Image To Enlarge)

26cb1c71151916.gif

You also have to be careful using other cleaning tools that offer to clean the Firefox 'Places' as they can wipe out your bookmarks - CCleaner however doesn't have that behaviour!

What you are now telling me is that apart from a Prefetch file there is also an Old Prefetch file. CCleaner being a smart app only erases the old Prefetch file & does not sensibly touch the new one. Therefore I can safely choose this option. Am I right? Have I now understood you correctly?

Deleting the content of the Prefetch folder will NOT make your computer faster.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=743 << Read this ;)

Piriform French translator

• Moderators
Deleting the content of the Prefetch folder will NOT make your computer faster.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=743 << Read this ;)

In fact it'll slow you 'puter down temporaral,y as prefetch is there to well pre fetch. however old prefetch files are usless and usually redundant

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Old Prefetch file are unused*, and the Prefetch folder is autocleaning. But they aren't useless - maybe you'll want to run an app that you hadn't used in a month.

You may free some kilobytes of your disk, but it's not worth it.

*They do NOT load with Windows, use RAM, or whatever.

Piriform French translator

• Moderators
Old Prefetch file are unused*, and the Prefetch folder is autocleaning. But they aren't useless - maybe you'll want to run an app that you hadn't used in a month.

You may free some kilobytes of your disk, but it's not worth it.

*They do NOT load with Windows, use RAM, or whatever.

Good to know Thanks :)

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Good to know Thanks :)

@ Nergal & Aethec :)

Thanks for clarifying the Prefetch issue. I'll leave this Advanced option on "Prefetch cleaning" unticked because:-

1) It won't speed up my comp by an "appreciable amount"

2) It might infact "slow it down somewhat"

Co-incidentally I had read Ed Bott earlier - the same article!!! In fact I used to be a "gung-ho clean your Prefetch always person" but stopped pronto after reading that very sensible article thanks

In fact it'll slow you 'puter down temporaral,y as prefetch is there to well pre fetch. however old prefetch files are usless and usually redundant

Hi Nergal & TwistedMetal! :)

Winapp2.ini is an awesome addon functionality in CCleaner which is:-

1) awesome

2) relatively unknown

3) differentiates CCleaner all the more from other apps in this genre

I will do 2 things:-

1) share the news about this functionality with my friends & acquaintences

2) hope that CCleaner lead developer reviews, approves, confirms & integrates this .ini functionality & bakes it into CCleaner. Trust me that would further expand the already vast user base of CCleaner :)

Winapp1.ini also is a very smart idea.

• Moderators
Hi Nergal & TwistedMetal! :)

Winapp2.ini is an awesome addon functionality in CCleaner which is:-

1) awesome

2) relatively unknown

3) differentiates CCleaner all the more from other apps in this genre

I will do 2 things:-

1) share the news about this functionality with my friends & acquaintences

2) hope that CCleaner lead developer reviews, approves, confirms & integrates this .ini functionality & bakes it into CCleaner. Trust me that would further expand the already vast user base of CCleaner :)

Winapp1.ini also is a very smart idea.

Winapp1.ini is the applications that are already embedded in the ccleaner program. it is available (for educational and techsupport purposes on the forum) but is no long distributed as a seperate file with ccleaner in order to make the cleaner package more compact (especially for those, like me, for whom ccleaner is a must have portable application.

Including Winapp2.ini with the package (though suggested quite often) is, IMNSVHO, a bad idea. I feel this for two reasons; the first of which is winapp2.ini is for not commonly distributed applications that you might have that others don't, in fact the sample ini has even been pulled from the forum as it was meant to be a template for users to make their own. The second reason, that I feel it should not be delivered with cCleaner, is that it would be redundant, if the developers wanted these products to be cleaned and included with CCleanertech supportseparateCCleanerCCleaner . . . well they'd juCCleanerst add them to the winapp1 (see above answer). Mostly 2.ini (you can also make a winsys2 and a winreg2) are there so that the user base and advanced users can tailor make a program to be cleaned for a specific user (see some of my recent posts wherein I have made a "open office 3.2" and a "flash recent items" entry for other users.

Winapp1.ini is the applications that are already embedded in the ccleaner program. it is available (for educational and techsupport purposes on the forum) but is no long distributed as a seperate file with ccleaner in order to make the cleaner package more compact (especially for those, like me, for whom ccleaner is a must have portable application.

Including Winapp2.ini with the package (though suggested quite often) is, IMNSVHO, a bad idea. I feel this for two reasons; the first of which is winapp2.ini is for not commonly distributed applications that you might have that others don't, in fact the sample ini has even been pulled from the forum as it was meant to be a template for users to make their own. The second reason, that I feel it should not be delivered with cCleaner, is that it would be redundant, if the developers wanted these products to be cleaned and included with CCleanertech supportseparateCCleanerCCleaner . . . well they'd juCCleanerst add them to the winapp1 (see above answer). Mostly 2.ini (you can also make a winsys2 and a winreg2) are there so that the user base and advanced users can tailor make a program to be cleaned for a specific user (see some of my recent posts wherein I have made a "open office 3.2" and a "flash recent items" entry for other users.

Yes Nergal you are absolutely right! :) . This functionality should not be baked into CCleaner but just left for Advanced users as an external technique