Adobe Reader Vulnerability

Nullack

Fix is due out on 12 Jan. In the meantime just go into the Adobe Reader's Edit/Preferences and turn off JavaScript - it's very rarely needed.

I just avoid PDFs like the bubonic plague. Nothing worthwhile is encrypted on them. They're garbage.

Avoid them? It's a good format. A lot of stuff that I want or need to read is published in PDF format. I also find it a good way of securing the content of published documents. Yes, the Adobe reader has been heavily targeted by malware but that doesn't devalue the document format.

As to 'PDFs being garbage' ... that's a bit of a nonsensical statement!

Okay, I exaggerated. But every app Adobe makes is so bloated, and I find navigation in PDF readers annoying. If it's their attempt at a limited 'browser' app to read pages with pictures, it's pretty funky. If you're comfortable using it, I got no problem with that. I guess it's just not my taste.

• Moderators
TRY PDF X-Change Viewer

Spyware free and no ASK toolbar ;) Adobe is my PAST and Foxit has ASK Toolbar bundled in its installer,forget it :(

I just installed it and I like it, removed an old clean version of Foxit in the process to which by now had to have vulnerabilities. PDF X-Change Viewer has more features than I would ever possibly use, it can't be called basic, and should work very good as a complete Adobe or Foxit replacement.

I just installed it and I like it, removed an old clean version of Foxit in the process to which by now had to have vulnerabilities. PDF X-Change Viewer has more features than I would ever possibly use, it can't be called basic, and should work very good as a complete Adobe or Foxit replacement.

yes,it was completely replaced them. Loading faster and portable version also available,here

and don't forget to check new version via Live Update if available, at least every two weeks ;)

• Moderators
Just don't forget updates to Flash player ... so many sites use this these days.

I always update Flash when a stable build is available, kind of hard to miss any updates since I visit Filehippo.com everyday.

and don't forget to check new version via Live Update if available, at least every two weeks ;)

I know, that's probably mostly due to the Javascript support which is most likely always going to have vulnerability updates non-stop.

I always update Flash when a stable build is available, kind of hard to miss any updates since I visit Filehippo.com everyday.

Yeah - that wasn't aimed at you Andavari, just a general comment ;) ... it's probably one that quite a few people miss. I generally only pick Flash updates up when I run PSI! Though I think the regulars using these forums are more likely to be up-to-date than your average PC user.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just warn you,friends.

I am very disappointed with pdf x-change viewer. The latest version now has the Ask toolbar and forcing users to download. Run and read the installer carefully.

anyway,I'd stick with this great Adobe Reader replacement.

EDIT : I just found another good PDF Reader, have a look http://www.nuance.com/imaging/products/pdf-reader.asp