Living on the moon someday

razz

Why would we colonize the moon, when Mars is the best possible choice right now for colonization? Weird. Would be nice to live on another planet, and call a friend back on Earth: Me: "Hey how are you doing?" Friend: "Doing good, heard you moved. Where'd you move to?" Me: "Moved to Mars, it's awesome here." Friend: "Mars? Nice!" :lol:

Why would we colonize the moon, when Mars is the best possible choice right now for colonization? Weird. Would be nice to live on another planet, and call a friend back on Earth: Me: "Hey how are you doing?" Friend: "Doing good, heard you moved. Where'd you move to?" Me: "Moved to Mars, it's awesome here." Friend: "Mars? Nice!" :lol:

I think that we need a colony there as a jumping off point to move to Mars.

AJ

:D

I think that we need a colony there as a jumping off point to move to Mars.

AJ

"The average recorded temperature on Mars is -63 ?C (-81 ?F) with a maximum temperature of 20 ?C (68 ?F) and a minimum of -140 ?C (-220 ?F)."

I'll take uhh.. staying on the Earth for now.

By the way, did you guys know the Moon is almost HALF the size of Earth? It never gets portrayed that way though. I guess being ~200,000+ miles away makes it seem really small.

That would be one hell of a phone bill. lol

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators
Why would we colonize the moon, when Mars is the best possible choice right now for colonization? Weird.

They're just starting off big first, then moving to something really big. They need a close to home test bed first for testing of needed life sustaining things such as growing food, producing their own water and oxygen, etc., as getting a steady supply from Earth would be too expensive and very impractical for sustained living off world. In short they need to be completely self sufficient without needing constant life lines from Earth.

Also with the moon being so much closer it's possible a rescue mission could be launched if something went wrong like a broken return vehicle, if that were on Mars they'd be screwed.

I watched that NatGeo program, and it was rather interesting, perhaps somewhat bold however it will one day be a necessity if an asteroid or comet hits the Earth, or a super volcano erupts devastating life world wide there could at least be Earthlings elsewhere in the solar system who could later re-colonize the Earth. Oh how nice it would've been to be born some thousands of years in the future!

They're just starting off big first, then moving to something really big. They need a close to home test bed first for testing of needed life sustaining things such as growing food, producing their own water and oxygen, etc., as getting a steady supply from Earth would be too expensive and very impractical for sustained living off world. In short they need to be completely self sufficient without needing constant life lines from Earth.

Also with the moon being so much closer it's possible a rescue mission could be launched if something went wrong like a broken return vehicle, if that were on Mars they'd be screwed.

I watched that NatGeo program, and it was rather interesting, perhaps somewhat bold however it will one day be a necessity if an asteroid or comet hits the Earth, or a super volcano erupts devastating life world wide there could at least be Earthlings elsewhere in the solar system who could later re-colonize the Earth. Oh how nice it would've been to be born some thousands of years in the future!

If you believe in reincarnation there's no need to worry, you'll be back someday.

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators
If you believe in reincarnation there's no need to worry, you'll be back someday.

I don't actually, and with everyone being so green we may be the organic recycled compounds of a space vehicle dashboard, or worse the seat cushion, or the fossil fuel in the distant future. :lol: