windows search feature

hello2007

when I was using my brothers computer-xp it had a feature where I can go to start button on desktop and go to search files and press search without typing anything and every file would display by date on the computer I was wondering how can I do that with my computer-vista because it won't allow me to search blank like how xp did

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

Here's how to do a search in Windows Vista:

Performing searches has drastically changed in Windows Vista; what used to be a nightmare is now an easily accomplished task using Vista’s powerful new Search features.

If you’re looking to find an application or file, you can now use the Start Search feature found in the Start menu.

For example, let’s say that you wanted to find your Microsoft Office applications; you can do the following:

1. Click the Start button.

2. Type “off�? in the Start Search box of the Start menu.

3. Select the desired program, file, or communication.

If you are working with the Documents folder, you can perform an instantaneous search using the Searches folder from Favorite Links. The new Searches feature contains a number of specific searches that Windows Vista performs on startup; if you select one of the pre-saved criteria, you get immediate results.

To use Searches:

1. Open Documents.

2. Select Searches from Favorite Links.

3. Choose one of the pre-saved search criteria; the results are displayed instantaneously.

You can also use the Search box located at the top right of any folder to look for any file or application on your computer. Once completed, you may opt to click Save Search and save it as a pre-saved search criteria as mentioned above.

There’s also the Search feature available in the Start menu. The Advanced feature button lets you supply additional information that can facilitate searches.

Link: http://www.askdavetaylor.com/search_for_fi...dows_vista.html

The original website has screenshots of the stuff I quoted.

thanks, yea I was looking for the xp type style. I think i found it however you go to my computer and type just a dot and press enter, I did that and it seemed like it was displaying the same results as the xp type of way. You can also go to advanced search and click search everywhere and do the same dot type search but I think they are both the same. Let me know if i'm wrong

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

Since getting a new comp with Vista, I've been wondering the same thing :blink:

How to search my computer for files "created & or modified" by date?

The (.) dot in the search bar seems to be the way to go :lol: