Ordered myself a laptop

kmillerusaf

So I ordered myself a laptop today. I had one back in 2006 but I gave it to my girlfriend in the middle of 2007 when she needed a dedicated computer for school so I was left with just a desktop. After a couple of years of not being able to sit on the couch or in my bedroom while still being able to be on my computer and online, I decided it was time to get another laptop.

So I went through the same channel I used last time: Dell Outlet Store

I think I got a great deal on this thing. it was $886 with taxes, shipping, and an optical mouse accessory. What do you all think? Here's the specs below:

Inspiron 1525 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache) Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Inspiron 1525 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)

6 Cell Primary Battery

MEDIADIRECT 3.3 Software

MEDIA DIRECT 3.5

Software

Keyboard On Notebook

Operating System Label

Processor Label

AOL Software

8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

Software

Software

Documentation

Dell Support 2.0 Software

Software

Previously Ordered New

4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)

Software

Resource DVD

Operating System DVD

Dell Solution Center Software

56K DataFax Modem

Shipping Material

Bluetooth Wireless Card 355

No Dell DataSafe

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Reader

MEDIADIRECT 3.3 Software

Earthlink ISP

Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera

Jet Black

No Dell DataSafe Backup

Documentation

Internal NIC

Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

250 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

ISP Search Assist

Net Zero ISP

15.4 WXGA Laptop Screen Display with TrueLife

Power Cord

Image Restore Software

Software

Wild Tangent Gaming Client

Software

Roxio Creator 10

65W Adapter

Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini Card

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

I would ditch the AOL Software, Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Reader, Earthlink ISP, Net Zero ISP and Wild Tangent Gaming Client and run:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pcdecrap.html

Then install SpywareBlaster and an anti-virus like avast! or Avir AntiVir.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Decent specs for the price though right? What I am going to do right off the bat is get a new HDD... I need a 7200 RPM HDD so I'll dump another $70 for that. Then I may load either linux or Windows 7 Beta on that bad boy and learn some new operating systems. Worked in Vista for the first time today for a coworker and I must admit. I am very behind. I would have liked to have some sort of dedicated video card but I guess I can't complain too much. I probably won't do too much gaming on it if any.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

I might be done buying from Dell. Let me explain.

I got the external mouse separately the Monday after I ordered (quick turn around) and the laptop on Tuesday... GREAT! However, it was shipped with the wrong power cord for the AC adapter so I could not charge the battery or turn the laptop on until my girlfriend got in the next day with her laptop and AC adapter. THEN, the very first thing I do is load into the system BIOS and the memory says it's running at 667Mhz. Well, the Outlet store said 800Mhz and so did the invoice they sent me. So I call Dell. The woman who spoke to me said the system says 800Mhz too. After several phone calls and a few hours worth of talking, they told me that the Inspiron 1525 cannot support over 667Mhz. So naturally, I wanted some type of compensation for the false advertising as the memory's speed did play a part in my purchase. They directed me to Customer Care. After being hung up on 3 or 4 times today, I finally got in touch with the "floor manager" and he told me there is no way I can get any type of compensation. That is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. It's their fault, yet I have to live it??? That might be the last Dell I buy.

link1.gif

• Moderators

In the UK we have a procedure we can follow for firms that place false advertisements.

Perhaps you may be able to get some help by following this page up, it's valid until April 2009.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagoterminal&a...s&csid=Cago

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the reply... But I don't think this has much to do with financing, repairs, or rebates :(

link1.gif

Processor is supposed to be 2.4Ghz but it's saying 1100, 1500, and 2400 at different times in CPU-Z. I changed the power options to "High performance" so it should be running at full power... Anyone got any suggestions?

link1.gif

It is probably throttling it self back when it isn't in use. It is a power saving feature. Don't worry about it. CCleaner should tell you the speed. There has to be a way to complain and get your money back especially with the false advertising part.

AJ

CCleaner and the BIOS show 2.4 Ghz but CPU-Z is still showing 1.2Ghz most of the time but I guess it is the processor throttling back. All the power options are set to 100% though for min/max processor state. Thanks for replaying back :)

link1.gif

Ugg..

Take a look at this Validation from CPU-Z... Memory is supposedly 800MHZ memory but it's running at 667MHZ. Is that the motherboard throttling it down or could it be bad memory? I seriously doubt the latter.

Keith

link1.gif

If you paid w/ a credit card you may have an option to get your money back by filing a complaint through the card company.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.