Keyboard cleaning

mfenech

I flip it and shake it. I blow compressed air between the keys until my finger freeze. I flip it and shake it again. More stuff comes out.

I'm a slob. :(

How do I take the cover off to get this sucker cleaned once and for all? I can't figure out how. I see ten or so screws on the bottom, and I don't know which, if any, secure the cover.

I normally attack my keyboard with a hoover with one of thos brushy thingies attached & suck every little thing out, be warned make sure there are no loose keys on your keyboard or you will be going thru the hoover bag looking for them not that i have ever dont it :( . About the screws i have never taken a keyboard apart before but i would advise to take all the outside ones off first and see if it comes apart if not take them all out do it on a table tho so you dont loose anything.

every keyboard seems to be different, but what I do is pop off all the keys. It makes it very easy to clean out then. I put them on my desktop in the order I take them off so I can remember exactly how they go back. But if you forget most keyboards layouts are about the same, with a couple keys different. A lot of keyboards are made so the keys pop out easy for cleaning, but to know for sure your keyboard manual should tell you how to clean it. I don't think this method would be good for laptop/notebook computers.

Ok, I thought this would be simple matter.

My keyboard is a Dell SK-8100 - a basic keyboard that was standard issue with Dell PC's. The cover appears to be removable and would leave the keys intact if removed. It's attached either by screws or by some locking tabs that aren't obviously visible to me. I had thought most basic keyboards are configured the same and removing the cover was a fairly common practice.

I think I'd rather get a new keyboard than remove all the keys.

It's up to you of course, but removing the keys isn't as bad as it sounds. I did mine in about 30 minutes the first time I did it. And it feels and looks brand new afterwards. I understand though it does sound a bit scary. I would probably get a new one anyway, I hated the little tiny keyboard that came with my Dell. I need a man's size keyboard.. lol meaning I got big hands.

mfenech, it is not as daunting as it seems, just undo every possible screw in the bottom, after checking the layout of the keys first, and hey presto you will find your keyboard in about a hundred and something pieces, or possibly two hundred and something pieces if you have little suckers on the matrix underneath, clean it all up in the sink, put it back together and bob's your uncle, you have a brand new keyboard again.

I find it very annoying that my keyboard gets dirty. I usually flip it over and shake it. Would be great if some keyboard manufacturer made an keyboard that was easy to clean.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png