Google takes aim at IE

Humpty

Wonder if this new Google browser will be implementing a part of the Green Border security concept which they purchased a fair while ago?

The free browser, called "Chrome," is supposed to be available for downloading Tuesday in more than 100 countries for computers running on Microsoft's Windows operating system. Google said it's still working on versions compatible with Apple Inc.'s Mac computer and the Linux operating system.

Google's browser is expected to hit the market a week after Microsoft's unveiling of a test version of its latest browser update, Internet Explorer 8. The tweaks include more tools for Web surfers to cloak their online preferences, creating a shield that could make it more difficult for Google and other marketing networks to figure out which ads are most likely to appeal to which individuals.

Yahoo Article

Its probably going to be a rebranded firefox. They have been heavily involved with firefox from what I've read.

Do we really need another browser? I know I dont.

I like playing with browsers so I like to see a new one. Plus I like so many Google products, Gmail, Google Reader, Calendar, iGoolge, Google Tool Bar to name a few. They usually do something interesting so it will be fun to see what they come up with. They need to do something unique to set themselves apart from the other browsers out there. I won't be testing the beta but I look forward to some reviews and screen shots from those that do.

See if this link loads faster for you

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

I like these testers

t1638_fuzz.png

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Surprisingly its based on webkit(safari) and not firefox.

Its pretty useless feature wise but it seems fast. Its sort of like going back a step in functionality even from IE6. It has tabs but that doesn't make up for all the stuff it doesn't have.

Surprisingly its based on webkit(safari) and not firefox.

Its pretty useless feature wise but it seems fast. Its sort of like going back a step in functionality even from IE6. It has tabs but that doesn't make up for all the stuff it doesn't have.

It's too early to to know what it will include when it's done. It's also open source so there will be many addons I would imagine.

Why'd they call it Chrome? That's an all too obvious referral to Mozilla. Nobody at Mozilla's complaining? They can't think of a unique name? Weird.

They make no secret they borrowed heavily from Mozilla.

I think it's the most interesting new browser in a while. It's definitely different and has loads of potential.

Why no Windows 2000 support?? So what if it's "outdated." When it comes to application development, 2000 is nearly identical to XP. I see no reason why a web browser would only support XP and Vista.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Surely you can read the signs?

All I see is that it is supported for another 2 years and as far as web browsers go, there is no difference between the two. What about 2000 is so much different from XP that a web browser should work on one, but not the other? Every other browser on the planet (except Safari) works on both, so why not Google's?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png