IE 8 Beta 2

larry39

• Moderators

Supposedly they have some theming support or something, or perhaps it was an add-on I looked at. In any event it's the same looking browser design that I will probably never get used to.

Their IE add-on site that was linked from the IE8 page has a few commercial add-ons. With Firefox and Opera you get free alternatives.

• Moderators

To be honest IE7 pro isn't really missing any of the features I like about Firefox.

The only thing holding me back is...(I cant believe I'm about to admit this...) THE FREAKING BOOKMARK BAR. I used to hate that thing with a passion and now its one of my most used features. :P

To be honest I dont really like FF3 at all. Its got a couple of bugs that have been driving me wild(crashes, bad downloads, not loading stuff in new tabs/have to reload to get the page to display). I tried opera but its got some funky stuff where drop down menus dont display right on some sites and certain types of sites dont work at all or very badly.

• Moderators
I tried opera but its got some funky stuff where drop down menus dont display right on some sites and certain types of sites dont work at all or very badly.

That's an Opera feature because it's been there for years, and in the past people had to pay for those features! :lol:

The only thing holding me back is...(I cant believe I'm about to admit this...) THE FREAKING BOOKMARK BAR. I used to hate that thing with a passion and now its one of my most used features. :P

What do you mean? Both browsers have a bookmark tool bar. I think every browser I have ever tried has one. I'm not understanding what you are saying.

• Moderators
What do you mean? Both browsers have a bookmark tool bar. I think every browser I have ever tried has one. I'm not understanding what you are saying.

Sorry I didnt mention what actually makes it useful, the live bookmarks.

In IE the rss reader is just like every other one, it just takes you to a blank page with stories(I never got the point of this..) with FF and its live bookmarks I get a drop down menu that lets me quickly skim the stories and pick the ones I want. Its completely changed the way I browse the net to some degree.

Sorry I didnt mention what actually makes it useful, the live bookmarks.

In IE the rss reader is just like every other one, it just takes you to a blank page with stories(I never got the point of this..) with FF and its live bookmarks I get a drop down menu that lets me quickly skim the stories and pick the ones I want. Its completely changed the way I browse the net to some degree.

Oh OK I see now. I use Google Reader so not a problem for me.

i'm using FF3 and i like it so far. nothing bad over here. i use the all-in-one sidebar extension and it works well. IE7Pro is still awesome!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Bits from Bill

Automatic Update of IE8 Beta 2

There has been a lot of talk lately about the newest beta software for Internet Explorer 8. Most of the talk has been very positive but I haven?t been one of those to have the greatest luck.

My new IBM ThinkPad didn?t like IE8 beta 2 but thanks to the system restore applet I was able to back to where I was. I tried to update but all it did was remove IE7 from my system. I had to reinstall IE7 using Firefox so it?s a good thing Microsoft now supports FF on their websites. The Gateway desktop machine had a more mysterious experience.

http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2008/08/a...ie8-beta-2.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
i'm using FF3 and i like it so far. nothing bad over here.

Well since I had no issues with FF3 Portable I thought I'd try out the installation version even though I had previously been very leary of it. I did that just yesterday.

Everything was going perfectly well as it supported all my add-ons (minus the Winestripe Theme) until I went to the bookmarks in nestled folders, i.e.;

Free Stuff\Music\Some Free Music Site

FF3 installation version wouldn't even let me click a bookmark because the menu kept disappearing as soon as I'd attempt to hover over a bookmark to click it. So right back to 2.0.0.16 I went. :rolleyes:

Edit: It was a clean install of FF3!

I'm using IE8 beta 2 on this old PIII system and it works fine.

Neither McAfee SiteAdvisor nor the Google toolbar work but IE7Pro and Web of Trust ( WoT ) work well.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user