Why all the problems with spyware/virus?

I'm not sure why there are so many problems with spyware/virus out there. I never ever seem to get anything anymore, probably due to my surfing habits. I simply stay away from questionable sites and don't click links that are questionable and everything seems fine. Heres what I use as my protection:

nod32 antivirus.

windows firewall

windows defender

spyware blaster

spybot search and destroy

superantispyware

I recently added mcafee site advisor and i use keyscrambler.

I could very comfortably remove mcafee site advisor, keyscrambler, spybot search and destroy and superantispyware without any worries.

And of course I use CCleaner for cleaning up the mess. :)

As mentioned by a few members in another thread, your best protection is common sense.

No common sense here Dennis as I'm always downloading/testing and visiting malware related sites. :unsure:

If anyone has any gooduns, please pm me the links. :lol:

A good place to visit is Donna's SecurityFlash:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/Default.aspx

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm not sure why there are so many problems with spyware/virus out there. I never ever seem to get anything anymore, probably due to my surfing habits. I simply stay away from questionable sites and don't click links that are questionable and everything seems fine.

Most spyware, malware and viruses comes from the files, that you download and install. And if you use IE, and don't use secure settings (or your brains), ActiveX is a common cause. Real-time AV should help with this, but if it's out-dated, incorrectly set, or in the worst case; you don't have one, well... And of course, one big reason for infections is virus emails, attachments that you should not open... Also some worms & trojans comes through unpatched Windows.

You really should not get infected, if you: Use a proper up-to-date AV, don't download & install any suspicious files, don't open any suspicious email attachments, use a firewall and keep your Windows up to date (Microsoft updates).