internet maybe fixed?

rridgely

• Moderators

I think my internet is fixed...

I've had a string of bad luck. I got home sunday night from my trip and my router was apparently blown by a power surge/lightning and I still didnt have internet. I call comast and give them hell, so they sent out someone to come fix my internet. He replaces my modem and once he does I realize that the lightning or whatever has blown out the ethernet port in my main desktop.:angry: Nothing else seems harmed though. I dont quite know how only those things got messed up though because I have 3 other computers in this room and they all are on the same type of surge protector.

Luckily I got a linksys router for only $35 at target and while the comcast guy was here he fixed whatever was wrong with my connection and its about 5 times faster than its been for the last few months.

Luckily I got a linksys router for only $35 at target and while the comcast guy was here he fixed whatever was wrong with my connection and its about 5 times faster than its been for the last few months.

Good news and welcome back rridgely. :)

• Moderators

You have far more patience than me, I would've fired them and had a new ISP a long time ago.

I'm glad your back online, it must have been like living in the stone ages without a stable connection.

• Moderators
You have far more patience than me, I would've fired them and had a new ISP a long time ago.

I'm glad your back online, it must have been like living in the stone ages without a stable connection.

The only other non dial up isp around is at&t dsl and its dog slow. :(

If the guy didnt fix it today though I was going to cancel. Luckily when I called customer support though they gave me credit for this months bill and next months as well.

The speed increase was pretty significant, I'm supposed to get 7mb but lately it was barely 1 but now its back to where it should be. I just hope it actually stays connected. <_<

• Moderators
The only other non dial up isp around is at&t dsl and its dog slow. :(

Stay away from the always disconnected ISP. They're now called Mediacom in my area, and you really pay for what you don't get.

Stay away from the always disconnected ISP. They're now called Mediacom in my area, and you really pay for what you don't get.

Thanks for the warning.It must have been really bad if they even had to change the name. :lol:

:) davey

my ISP is Embarq. we FINALLY after nearly a year had a guy come out and fix our problem. the guy said the way the other guy splinted the wiring for my phone line was all wrong so he cut it and we did the wiring. now all is well for me so no more having the connection down every time we get a call. i had that same problem rridgely when a storm came pasting through. it blew the Ethernet Port on my MB as well and that was 2 years ago. i just replaced the port with a PCI Ethernet Card.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

Yeh, nice to see you back double r.

I mentioned this a while back, but my broadband went from 2.2mbps to 5mbps just by fitting a proper cable from the master socket downstairs to my bedroom, and getting rid of a 2 way adapter in the kitchen.

Even now, if I stick that adapter back in, it immediately drops to 2.something mbps again.

Your wiring is the first place to start, and I just googled how to do it the right way.

http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/6104.htm

http://www.broadbandzone.co.uk/shop/self_install.htm