I think I need a new computer

Ok, I think I finally fried my desktop. 6.5 years old, and i went downstairs and the darn thing wasnt working. I tried everything, and then even tried a full windows reinstall and it wont install. keeps getting hung, and wont work. something big going on, cause every other time i had to do a full reinstall it was (well a pain in the butt) no problem. so here is one i found, that im looking at. Any thoughts or suggestions?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...=&langid=EN

yeah i already have a laptop. and im not ready to make a switch to a mac as of yet. still stuck on what i know which is windows......

Mac desktops are beautiful. They are far easier to learn than Windows thats for sure. I spent about an hour on Apple's site and read some guides and tutorials and I will be able to pick up the Mac OS no problems.

• Moderators

You can test the system memory to see if that's the problem, and if it's the memory it's a cheap replacement compared to a new PC by trying the free MemTest86+

Other things to check are the motherboard, etc. It wouldn't hurt to unplug everything inside the computer chassis then plug it back in, sometimes a loose connection can cause problems.

Thanks Andavari. i tried all that (except for memtest86+) but it wont let me do anything anymore. I think maybe its just getting old and needs replacing. Ive had problems with it for a couple of years now, and have kind of been using bandaid solutions on and off, and am now thinking time to put it out to pasture. If i get another one, i can use this one to tinker with and such. The only thing im not too keen on is all the new computers that interested me all came with vista not xp.

Plus futureshop (where im looking at) has a no interest plan, equal payments for 24 months, so its not a huge hardship to get one, just means no motorcycle for me this year as i can only get my wife to let me get one toy at a time. :(

what do you think of that pc? anything its missing, or anything you would add to it? thanks!

The only thing im not too keen on is all the new computers that interested me all came with vista not xp.

Plus futureshop (where im looking at) has a no interest plan, equal payments for 24 months, so its not a huge hardship to get one, just means no motorcycle for me this year as i can only get my wife to let me get one toy at a time. :(

Interesting thing about the new computers coming with Vista instead of XP. When I was in future shop looking at the Mac I mentioned earlier I asked the sales person what if I wanted to buy a windows machine from them but have XP in it instead of Vista? You know what the guy tells me? He says we will remove Vista for you and install XP but it will cost you a couple hundred dollars more. You have to buy XP separately and than they will put in in for you. So your best bet might be to order form HP or Dell on line directly from them because you can still order machines with XP as on option. The ones in the store are already built so you have no choice. If you alrady have a XP install disk you can put it in your self.

• Moderators
what do you think of that pc? anything its missing, or anything you would add to it? thanks!

For a pre-built computer where you couldn't pick and choose at least a few things that you'd want in it there's no way in hell I'd pay $2000 for it, for the simple fact you may be able to spend less money and get more of what you want and need - unless of course they let you mod it to your needs. I would instead deal with the PC manufacturer directly via their website.

• Moderators

If you want xp your going to have to order online.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/featu...=dhs&~ck=mn

I wouldn't hesitate to get the dell 530 and if you dont need a monitor you can get it for $459US.

If I was to get that pc I would probably up the ram to 2 gigs and spend the extra 60 they want for the radeon hd card. Would be a pretty speedy little computer. :D

Word of advice is that you shouldn't get the slim style case(on any build of computer). Reason being is that 1 they are harder to work in and 2 the cd rom drives are verticle and I've had all kinds of problems with them in the past.

• Moderators

Oh.. I didnt realize you were spending that much.

That thing you picked has an hd dvd drive, which is pretty much pointless as they are discontinuing that format. If you interested in making this a multimedia pc(hooked up to a big screen, ect) I would wait until they start coming out with blu ray pcs.

Now If I were you I wouldn't spend that much on a pc for this kind of thing. Get a moderately priced pc and then get a ps3.(for blue ray, games, and multimedia). :D

Well, call me an idiot but i went and got the computer. against the advice that you all provided above, but i was just feeling impulsive so i went and did it. i know it was a lot, but i just couldnt be bothered with picking parts, ordering, etc. i dont know enough to know what to look for, so i just wanted something fast and such. i got my laptop at future shop and they treated me really really good there with it (and other products) so i figured id go back.

i got the "no lemon" guarantee, lasts three years so if anything goes wrong they replace the computer fully. also i wanted a bigger screen so this should do me good. as for the hd dvd, i really dont care much for movie quality, etc. so the hd dvd wasnt a selling feature to me at all. im not keen on this new hddvd/bluray stuff, its just more then i really want/need, good old dvds are good for me. i just finally threw out my tape cassettes, and i still use the vcr for the kids movies.

as for xp, i would really prefer to have it, but its not a big enough deal to go out and buy it when the computer comes with an operating system. i think when the next os comes out, ill probably get another computer anyways (kids are starting to hog the computers all the time anyways) so its not too big a deal.

also, i searched around a few forums and saw a lot of good things about this sort of set up, so itll do me good. i kind of put it in perspective. i spent 2000 on my last computer that i got straight from ibm 6.5 years ago. and it finally just croaked, so spending the same amount all these years later is not too bad.

plus the 19 inch monitor i have now can be my second monitor, and i already have the hp printer that came with the laptop i got. as for the ps3, i dont game quite enough to buy that one, but who knows in the future.

• Moderators
Well, call me an idiot but i went and got the computer. against the advice that you all provided above, but i was just feeling impulsive so i went and did it.

You are not an idiot at all, you just got what you wanted. If I had $2000 and was anywhere near an electronics store I'd be impulsive too.

You are not an idiot at all, you just got what you wanted. If I had $2000 and was anywhere near an electronics store I'd be impulsive too.

Maybe you can tell my wife that. She and the kids have been out of town for 2 days and shes going to kill me when she gets home.........

• Moderators

Well now that you have that computer you can play pretty much anything you want anyway. :lol:

Just go buy an xbox 360 usb controller and you would get pretty much the same experience.

I was just trying to say that your not going to see a huge speed difference day to day with that computer or the one I pointed out with xp. For stuff like games and video editing it will be top notch though.

That monitor is a beauty though. I saw one in circuit city the other day and had to keep myself from reaching for my credit card. :P

I hardly use my desktops for anything major anymore. I never thought my laptop would become my main pc but it has. I guess its because I have it around all the time(but I still hate the keyboard. :P)

you know building your own PC is less money spent. just my opinion though.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Maybe you can tell my wife that. She and the kids have been out of town for 2 days and shes going to kill me when she gets home.........

Hello 1984,

Well you're in for it now.

The "old" PC just happened to quit working while the family is away.

Future Shop coincidently had this great deal going on and the sale was almost over.

What were you to do? Rob the family of the availability of using the remaining computer?

I think not.

Of course, you are no idiot.

That "old" computer better darn well be busted when they get back home.

Stuff Happens, :lol:

:) davey

P.S. Good thing you didn't just happen to wonder into the local Harley-Davidson shop.

Good for you 1984 ;) , I'd love to go and buy a new PC.
I wish I could but the Tax Man took almost $700.00 from me so I'll have to wait another couple of month to purchase the Vista Home Basic system I want to replace the 5 year old XP Home system.

I have been having fun resurrecting an old Pentium system I got free with 32MB RAM and two 2GB hard drives, Opti Audio 16 sound card and Triton 9440 video running Win98SE. I have it all working and it is OK but a bit slow.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I wish I could but the Tax Man took almost $700.00 from me so I'll have to wait another couple of month to purchase the Vista Home Basic system I want to replace the 5 year old XP Home system.

Yeah it's that time of year in Canada to bend over and grab your ankles and prepare for the yearly financial rape.

Yeah it's that time of year in Canada to bend over and grab your ankles and prepare for the yearly financial rape.

That sounds really painful!

There are two things in life that are a guarantied certainty :(

#Death

&

#Taxes

I have been having fun resurrecting an old Pentium system I got free with 32MB RAM and two 2GB hard drives, Opti Audio 16 sound card and Triton 9440 video running Win98SE. I have it all working and it is OK but a bit slow.

Wipe 98 and put Ubuntu on!!! Linux FTW!!!

AJ

The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user