Anyone else got this reg key?

JDPower

Or know where it's come from?:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netscape\Netscape Navigator

This computer has never had anything Netscape on it but stumbled across that key and wondering where it came from and whether it's needed. It has three sub keys - Suffixes, User trusted external applications and Viewers.

I've Googled it but didn't really help.

Yeah, i got it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE also. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE it's created by Opera and under HKEY_CURRENT_USER there's entries of several apps, for example Real, Java and Winamp.

Opera users, notice that there's also netscape.exe on C:\Program Files\Opera\program\ folder.

• Moderators

I've also got those keys.

Is this not something to do with the historical tie in between Netscape and Mozilla?

One thing that puzzled me about Firefox was the random letter/number generated in C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles for all your profile information.

Apparently this is a "salted_name", and is a Netscape thing.

Link:

What's the difference between Netscape 6/7 and Mozilla?

Technically speaking, they are almost identical. However, Netscape 6/7 is designed as an end-user product, and Mozilla is for the developers. AOL/Netscape spent a great resource on making Mozilla more end-user friendly by adding documentation and improving the user interface, as well as adding multimedia support and integrating its instant messaging.

Seems there's Netscape components in Firefox and other browsers, and vice versa.

The Relationship Between Netscape and Mozilla.

There's also files in the Mozilla Program Files "components" folder, which begin with ns, and contain Netscape copyright references.

t95_Netscape.jpg

I'm not claiming a momentous discovery here, as some of you guys probably already know all this, but it's all new to me, and at least explains the reason for the "salted_name" folder, and may explain the Netscape entries in the Registry.

• Moderators
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll leave it alone then. Just got me curious when I saw it there :rolleyes:

I was just a curious as you were, but that was many years ago when I started using Opera for the first time and would delete the key and then watch it reappear until I started tracking installations and noticed Opera creating it.

The things that will set us off on a quest of "why is that there." :lol:

Edit:

There's other things that can create a Netscape key too which I've always thought to be how Netscape uses plugin suffixes/architecture.

• 2 weeks later...