CCleaner + Vista = Registry cleaner mishap!

Mitchrapp

Hey guys

very recently (probably since last tuesday's Vista x64 patch blitz), CCleaner's reg cleaner is finding ALL file extensions as "unused"

I made the mistake of cleaning them and all my file associations were lost... and I mean ALL of them.

This been happening with others? CCleaner has gone from most useful program to the program i hate the most in vista..

Hey guys

very recently (probably since last tuesday's Vista x64 patch blitz), CCleaner's reg cleaner is finding ALL file extensions as "unused"

I made the mistake of cleaning them and all my file associations were lost... and I mean ALL of them.

This been happening with others? CCleaner has gone from most useful program to the program i hate the most in vista..

Restore to wen it was ok go to system Restore pick a date be for this and it fix you need to be Administrator to do this. :mellow:

so... no explanation as to why CCleaner's registry cleaner is STILL finding all my file extensions as "un-used" and wants me to remove them?

CCleaner hasn't been fully optimized with 64bit Vista or XP Pro. There have been noted problems. Until the developers are able to sort out these issues, I would tell to (obviously) not clean the registry items until a newer version is released.

AJ

so... no explanation as to why CCleaner's registry cleaner is STILL finding all my file extensions as "un-used" and wants me to remove them?

Problem is not limited to Vista users, I have the same issue with my XP SP2 system. CCleaner always lists file extensions to be removed from applications that I use most frequently. This version does it and so did the previous one. The explanation of what "UNUSED" means, given in a response to a post by Oldboy, Feb 4, 2006, only confirms, for me, that it isn't recognized as a bug. I don't have an explanation but I am watching this post because I hope you soon get one soon. In the meantime, I will stick with the only resolution I know, NEVER remove them.

Problem is not limited to Vista users, I have the same issue with my XP SP2 system. CCleaner always lists file extensions to be removed from applications that I use most frequently. This version does it and so did the previous one. The explanation of what "UNUSED" means, given in a response to a post by Oldboy, Feb 4, 2006, only confirms, for me, that it isn't recognized as a bug. I don't have an explanation but I am watching this post because I hope you soon get one soon. In the meantime, I will stick with the only resolution I know, NEVER remove them.

yeah I've been forced to start using Vista Manager for now

CCleaner is my all-time favorite software (and I mean it). I've installed it on all the computers at work and all my friend's computers (total computers = 1500+)

I just wish it wasn't so buggy right now !

I have found even if you do remove the unused file extensions they are recreated once you open that particular file again. I have never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the CCleaner regularly, on several computers, XP Home sp1, XP Home sp2 and Pro sp2 (mutible) and I remove everything it finds in the Issues section, including all file extensions. I have no experiance with Vista but I wouldn't hesitate to try the same because the backup can be reinstalled.

I've never had a problem.

I always have and always do delete all the 'unused' file extensions. It has never ever caused any problems.

As much as CCleaner is usually completely safe it's not foolproof, as I discovered recently when it blitzed all of KMPlayers file extensions/associations.

I don't have much experience with registry cleaners, but I think it's very important you backup your registry, before using any software or making any changes.

I completely agree with you on this advoce. To anyone, even experienced users, ALWAYS back up your reg files before making any changes. It is a simple enough thing to do, and it will save you alot of heartache in the long run.

As far as recovering file assc., the only suggestion I would have is to perform a "restore to last known good" boot option.

Combing thru a reg is like trying to untangle wet spaghetti, you get one piece straight, then something else sticks together. I must admit, I always keep a fresh back up on hand whenever I go into my reg. And yes....I have used my back ups many times.

And that's the bottom line, 'cause PapaSmurf says so!

• 2 weeks later...