PC Tools Registry Mechanic 6 For Free (Until 20 December 07)

CraigMartin

Installed and scanned with it. It found mostly some "invalid" file extensions, that my other cleaners don't found.

I didn't remove then though, because i'm not so sure that they really are invalid. I think that most of those founded file extensions would be re-created, when i launch the app that has created them.

• Moderators

I tried out Registry Mechanic 6.0, and ended up removing it because the exclusions weren't being saved. Sure it's faster than previous versions but that doesn't mean s**t since the exclusions won't save.

I then went right back to Registry Mechanic 5.0 and found out that if you run Liveupdate it will make the license key invalid! :huh:

-------------------

It took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on with about a half dozen uninstall and reinstalls to know what to do:

If you use version 5.0 you should delete liveupdate.exe located in it's program folder so that you don't mistakenly run Liveupdate because the consequence of doing so is grave.

If you mistakenly run Liveupdate with version 5.0 you'll be forced to re-input the license key each and every damn time you use Registry Mechanic v5.0.

• Moderators
Installed and scanned with it. It found mostly some "invalid" file extensions, that my other cleaners don't found.

I didn't remove then though, because i'm not so sure that they really are invalid. I think that most of those founded file extensions would be re-created, when i launch the app that has created them.

It found tons of false positives on my system, out of 57 things it found only 3 from the list were items I deemed invalid. The other stuff I didn't want to mess with.

It found tons of false positives on my system, out of 57 things it found only 3 from the list were items I deemed invalid. The other stuff I didn't want to mess with.

What kind of false positive entries it (mostly) found? Like i mentioned, for me it mostly found "invalid" file extensions (13 entries). ...Just did some research and ended up to remove 2 of those founded extensions.

• Moderators

Between CCleaner, EasyCleaner and Registry Mechanic, RM is the only one that continually picks up "System Volume Information-Restore" invalid entries.

And even after the long thread we had recently, I'm still unsure what to do with these entries.

After that recent discussion, I excluded C: System Volume Information from the scan, but within a few weeks, including System Volume again showed up hundreds of "invalid" entries.

99% of these entries were related to stuff I'd downloaded onto my partition, D: drive, tested and binned.

These are programs etc I don't want back on my system in the event of needing to do a Restore.

What to do??? Leave them and let them build up into 100's of invalid entries, or "fix" them with RM.

• Moderators
What kind of false positive entries it (mostly) found? Like i mentioned, for me it mostly found "invalid" file extensions (13 entries).

Well it found at least 1 dozen uninstall references to software that was currently installed like Adobe Reader, and my ISP software Qwest QuickCare, etc. It only found one invalid filetype for the .dat extension since nothing opens those files.

RM is the only one that continually picks up "System Volume Information-Restore" invalid entries.

Yup, it found one of those on my system, and I thought there's no way I'm even messing with those.

I was gonna post this offer. I even (as a Reg Mech fan) bought the mag it was in, but after trying it out was highly disappointed. I've got Reg Mech 5 and think it's excellent, but this version just had too many niggles for my liking. Most annoying for me being the junk files cleaner they've added. Instead of adding it as a separate option it's lumped in with one of the reg cleaner options, so if you untick the junk files it also doesn't clean one of the reg cleaner sections. Or you have to manually go through the results and untick all the junk files (necessary as the junk files it was picking up were too indiscrininate for my liking, ie all .temp and .bak files).

Shall be sticking with version 5.

I was gonna post this offer. I even (as a Reg Mech fan) bought the mag it was in, but after trying it out was highly disappointed. I've got Reg Mech 5 and think it's excellent, but this version just had too many niggles for my liking. Most annoying for me being the junk files cleaner they've added. Instead of adding it as a separate option it's lumped in with one of the reg cleaner options, so if you untick the junk files it also doesn't clean one of the reg cleaner sections. Or you have to manually go through the results and untick all the junk files (necessary as the junk files it was picking up were too indiscrininate for my liking, ie all .temp and .bak files).

Shall be sticking with version 5.

Where can I get version 5.

What about the other features RM has? The optimization tweaks and compacting of the Reg. Anybody notice any improvements on their machines after using these other features?

The optimisation tweaks are crap and best left alone and I've never tested the compacting feature as I use NTRegOpt for that (I trust NTRegOpt).

Guys, remember these are full app promos for our magazine readers, not for general Internet consumption (ie. I've 'found' an offer). Our contracts with software suppliers do not allow this, so be careful of spreading this info too far and wide. No kidding, but we can be asked to remove the promo - like what happened when we did Acronis True Image 7.

On a more positive note, you'll be surprised to see what we're giving away with issue 257, on-sale 27th of December.

Chris/Computeractive.

Fair enough Chris.l9iblush.gif

Was having a look around your site and came across BurnAware and it looks like a keeper here atm. :)

No special offers and fulltime freeware.

An alternative is a tool such as BurnAware Free Edition which is designed to burn your data and audio discs, as quickly as possible. It will support just about every burning media from a single 700MB CD through to a Blu-ray writable disc. Assuming you have a Blu-ray burner.

BurnAware is so simple and is designed to get your files to disc as quickly as possible, enabling you to take data, audio and video content and produce either a CD or DVD.

BurnAware

• Moderators
If you specifically want ur readers to only be able to download this offer, then maybe you should provide a code/coupon inside ur mag. Nowhere in the link that I provided on the first page states that it is for readers only. If it was I wouldn't have started this thread!

I agree with you! And we've heard the same "shhh don't tell" tactics before.

If it's solely for readers that have purchased a magazine and ComputerActive is worried about "the word" spreading about that some commercial app is freely available via their website then I'd have to say resort to using a code/coupon as Craig has suggested. Or go even further and only list a special download page for your actual customers.

You can't realistically expect people to not tell others about a free software title, it just isn't gonna happen.

Of course I state all this with no ill will or malice towards you Chris nor ComputerActive, it's just the facts.

An then to top it off you finish ur polite post by plugging ur next issue. Sorry but that just winds me up.

Craig, how on earth can it wind you up? I've not pulled it, just politely asked people not to spread the info around the net (apart from on here). This is fair request - do you want the free commercial apps or not? If not, spread it like wildfire and see how the suppliers react.

A coupon would make no difference. People would simply quote the coupon over the net, too :)

All I was saying is that it's a closed promo, but I don't mind you guys sharing the info, but I'd rather the info not spread all over the net. If this was what we'd have wanted (or were allowed), it would be up on the regular computeractive.co.uk website.

Chris.