Hope you missed me! Task Manager question again

Brenda2007

I've got my computer running nice and smooth but in the task manager I have 6 svchost.exe running. 3 are SYSTEM 1 is LOCAL SERVICE and 2 are NETWORK SERVICE. I went into bleepingcomputer.com which has helped me a lot but I have no idea which ones I need and which ones I don't. I don't want to make the mistake of deleting things that are necessary because I ended up restoring the system. Any ideas? I'll include a screenshot so you know what I'm talking about.

post-16097-1196052958_thumb.jpg

post-16097-1196052958_thumb.jpg

Brenda

Mom of 4: Chris 17, Mikayla 11, JJ 6, and Elias 23 months

LOVES Piriform Forums more than her husband

I've got my computer running nice and smooth but in the task manager I have 6 svchost.exe running. 3 are SYSTEM 1 is LOCAL SERVICE and 2 are NETWORK SERVICE. I went into bleepingcomputer.com which has helped me a lot but I have no idea which ones I need and which ones I don't. I don't want to make the mistake of deleting things that are necessary because I ended up restoring the system. Any ideas? I'll include a screenshot so you know what I'm talking about.

6 instances of svchost.exe is perfectly normal

EDIT: This article may clarify Svchost.exe

So that means I have a perfectly normal computer...well isn't that something.

I checked the other programs and they seem to belong there, but I have a concern at how much resources they are taking. What do you think?

post-16097-1196081875_thumb.jpg

post-16097-1196081875_thumb.jpg

Brenda

So that means I have a perfectly normal computer...well isn't that something.

I checked the other programs and they seem to belong there, but I have a concern at how much resources they are taking. What do you think?

22 processes isn't too bad at all. I have 18 - 20 depending on the machine. Your much better off than the 60 processes I see running on many machines.

Why is your cleanmgr.exe using 98% of your CPU? Are you running the disk clean up while taking that snap shot?

22 processes isn't too bad at all.

Yep, looks fine and only 20 actual processes running as you've got disk cleanup and IrfanView open in that screenshot (don't see any anti-virus though?). I have a fairly lean computer services wise and I have 18 services running.

22 processes isn't too bad at all. I have 18 - 20 depending on the machine. Your much better off than the 60 processes I see running on many machines.

Why is your cleanmgr.exe using 98% of your CPU? Are you running the disk clean up while taking that snap shot?

Yes I was at the time :)

Brenda

Yep, looks fine and only 20 actual processes running as you've got disk cleanup and IrfanView open in that screenshot (don't see any anti-virus though?). I have a fairly lean computer services wise and I have 18 services running.

I'm really trying to find the best anti-virus without paying? OMG I tried Panda or something like that and I thought that thing would fry my pc..removed it immediately. I'll go check around the forum to see what info I can find. Thanks for all your help!

Brenda

I'm really trying to find the best anti-virus without paying? OMG I tried Panda or something like that and I thought that thing would fry my pc..removed it immediately. I'll go check around the forum to see what info I can find. Thanks for all your help!

The 3 main free antivirus programs most people use are AVG, Avast, and Antivir. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Personally I use AVG and am perfectly happy with it.

• Moderators
OMG I tried Panda or something like that and I thought that thing would fry my pc.

Many people have complained in reviews over several years that Panda Antivirus made their PC's really slow and more or less unusable with it installed, so it's of no surprise to me that you also had issues with it.