XP is hanging on

Anthony A

• Moderators

Good news! My mom was looking for a modern laptop/notebook with some good specifications and everything she liked had Vista with no option to have XP Pro instead so she gave up. I'll have to tell her about buying an XP install CD instead.

I tried Vista Basic on my P4 system that the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor indicated that it was acceptable to have it installed.

Now I insist that anyone that tries to get me to install Vista wash their mouth out with soap and hop around on one foot with a 100LB necklace. :blink:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

People just don't won't to let go of XP. Microsoft is extending the sale of XP because of customer demand.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070927/microsoft_xp.html?.v=1

It's a wonder, or a miracle! "Microsoft" is taking some notice of it's customers <_<

XP is a brilliant system in that my full installs come to under a gig with all my security, maintenance apps and 3 needed components of Office 2003.

Ghost images are under a half a gig as well.

I have several pc's, old and new, with heaps of hard drives that I experiment with.

On my newest duo core machine I use two drives that I plug/unplug as to what I feel like using which is either XP Pro or Vista Ultimate.Seen too many probs with dual boot systems!

XP is by far the super fast system but I don't mind Vista even though it is a bit slower in all aspects.Sorta like runnig XP on an old P3 500 with 512 meg of sdram.

Still quite fast but blimey, on the duo core XP works that fast that sometimes I don't even realise that a page has changed after a click.

XP is by far the super fast system but I don't mind Vista even though it is a bit slower in all aspects

Really that's strange my computer is running faster with vista ultimate on it, most likely because we have different specs. I will admit that I am thinking of going back to XP as i cant get my wireless to work with vista and some games don't play very well on it either like BioShock which was meant to be playable on vista.

Really that's strange my computer is running faster with vista ultimate on it, most likely because we have different specs. I will admit that I am thinking of going back to XP as i cant get my wireless to work with vista and some games don't play very well on it either like BioShock which was meant to be playable on vista.

Hi Angra,

You could do what I do and plug/unplug a drive as needed/feel like using/testing ;)

You may come across a tweak for Vista or XP and think "damn I wish I could have tried that!"?

Of course with a laptop it would be a pain. :huh:

Yeah that's what I thought of doing Humpty and since my friend said I could have one of his HD for free that was a bonus ^_^ Is it hard to set up a dual boot system and do you need special software as I have no knowledge of how to do it because I don't use them and I never bothered to learn about it because of that fact.

I will admit that I have done a few tweaks on my version of vista but I can still only get it to use 550mb of RAM which when you think about it, it is quite a lot. However for some reason it still runs just as good or in my case better that when I had XP

You don't have Vista on a laptop do you? I found that with laptops vista is well slow

Yeah that's what I thought of doing Humpty and since my friend said I could have one of his HD for free that was a bonus ^_^ Is it hard to set up a dual boot system and do you need special software as I have no knowledge of how to do it because I don't use them and I never bothered to learn about it because of that fact.

I will admit that I have done a few tweaks on my version of vista but I can still only get it to use 550mb of RAM which when you think about it, it is quite a lot. However for some reason it still runs just as good or in my case better that when I had XP

You don't have Vista on a laptop do you? I found that with laptops vista is well slow

Nope no laptops here as yet.

Have worked on a few laptops but they all had XP.

How I've scored most of my PC's and spare drives is by driving around when there's a street verge rubbish pickup.

I pick up any reasonable looking cases and good dry wood for the fire in the shed for when I'm on the booze.

If I can get these pc's running I give them away to people that can't afford one.

But at at least I score heaps of hard drives for testing purposes from absolutely stuffed mobos that are the prob!

How do you manage that?

Bold Fortune's slimming Guide.

Used to have his own forum where I was an active member but alas is no more.

On my most of my setups for XP the C partion is around 5 gig with under a gig of data.

D is for is for pics and clips with E soley for ghost images.

Might add that I am on an old P3 500 atm with only two partitions on a 20 gig hard drive that hasn't been fired up or backed uo in a while!.

Bold Fortune's slimming Guide.

Used to have his own forum where I was an active member but alas is no more.

On my most of my setups for XP the C partion is around 5 gig with under a gig of data.

D is for is for pics and clips with E soley for ghost images.

Might add that I am on an old P3 500 atm with only two partitions on a 20 gig hard drive that hasn't been fired up or backed uo in a while!.

OK, you obviously did some tweaking. I thought you were saying you were getting under a GIG just doing a regular install.

Just for general info did you know that around 2500 files @450 meg within the hidden sys 32 dll cache are only there for nothing that I can think of, except backups which are useless anyways!NEW INSTALLS

Sitting there doing squat!

Just remember your poor old defragger has to lump these useless files around your hard disk as needed.

And if you use Fred Flinstone AV scanners they have to scan all of them as well?

Just for general info did you know that around 2500 files @450 meg within the hidden sys 32 dll cache are only there for nothing that I can think of, except backups which are useless anyways!NEW INSTALLS

Sitting there doing squat!

Just remember your poor old defragger has to lump these useless files around your hard disk as needed.

And if you use Fred Flinstone AV scanners they have to scan all of them as well?

When it comes to useless bloat from Microsoft nothing surprises me. ;)

OK, you obviously did some tweaking. I thought you were saying you were getting under a GIG just doing a regular install.

That's possible by using nLite to thin out XP, create an iso and burn to an install cd.

Also use vLite to thin out Vista ultimate.Pic below of my Vista Ultimate install with paging and hibernation turned off on an old 120 gig ide drive.