Does this program normally come with Windows?

Icedrake

Hi Icedrake ;)

I don't know if this applies to you to your computer! But I also have 'interVideo WinDVD' on my Sony Vaio notebook. I too was looking to uninstall unused programs, big mistake :( , it disabled my CD/DVD drive completely. Luckily system restore put it back for me, phew.

You are warned!

CraigM

• Moderators
Hi Icedrake ;)

I don't know if this applies to you to your computer! But I also have 'interVideo WinDVD' on my Sony Vaio notebook. I too was looking to uninstall unused programs, big mistake :( , it disabled my CD/DVD drive completely. Luckily system restore put it back for me, phew.

You are warned!

CraigM

Spooky, I was just toying with binning that useless program, but the "win" bit of the name made me wonder what you just found out the hard way Craig. Anything with win in the name seems always to be knotted into the system.

I particularly dislike this program.

• Moderators

Under the protection of Returnil, I uninstalled this useless program to see what would happen.

Drive worked fine. The only thing I lost was Windows Media Players ability to play DVD's. Played everything else no problem. Mpeg-2 codec couldn't be found.

So WMP uses Intervideos codecs. (On this machine).

Tried a number of things. Downloading free Mpeg-2 codec, moving stuff from Intervideos folders and then uninstalling and putting just the necessary files back, but obviously this doesn't work because all the required reg entries are gone.

Ended up by a process of elimination, narrowing down what WMP actually uses in the Intervideo folder.

Intervideo Program Files folder (on my machine), contains 2 folders: A "Common" folder containing a "bin" folder, (15mb), and a seperate WinDVD folder (45mb).

All the files WMP uses are in the "Common" folder.

Deleted the 45mb WinDVD folder and ran Registry Mechanic, CCleaner Issues and Easycleaner, which cleared out almost 50 WinDVD entries. The remnants of that 45mb folder.

Cleared out start menu entry, and every other folder I could find. So now I'm left with a 15mb folder containing the files WMP uses.

Was it worth the effort? Absolutely.

This thing comes preinstalled, and when you use a feature, a message pops up saying "you have 9 tries of that advanced feature left". What!!! You're forced upon me, and you're not even a full program.

I'm happy now, I've sacked it, and made it leave its valuables behind.

Must point out though, that I tried all this first under Returnil. If I screwed up, reboot and I was back to where I started.

Thanks for the info. Very useful. Will soon reformat and reinstall, it sure is nice to know this. :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
Ended up by a process of elimination, narrowing down what WMP actually uses in the Intervideo folder.

Intervideo Program Files folder (on my machine), contains 2 folders: A "Common" folder containing a "bin" folder, (15mb), and a seperate WinDVD folder (45mb).

All the files WMP uses are in the "Common" folder.

You can get another free DVD playback via K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, you just need to tick one of the DVD playback codecs during install, I don't know which is best though as there's more than one available. It will then allow Media Player Classic to have DVD playback, or if you wish you can tell the installer to use WMP as the default player but you have to tick a box for it to do that.

• Moderators
You can get another free DVD playback via K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, you just need to tick one of the DVD playback codecs during install, I don't know which is best though as there's more than one available. It will then allow Media Player Classic to have DVD playback, or if you wish you can tell the installer to use WMP as the default player but you have to tick a box for it to do that.

Well there's a thing, you know what I'm like when I'm expaining something. Why use 2 words when you can use 22.

This time I tried to keep it short, but seeing as how you've given me the opportunity for chapter II. :)

I thought about trying K-lite Pack, but as I'm not keen on codec packs, I searched around a lot for a free Mpeg-2 codec. Found one here:

This MPEG-2 Codec will allow you to open MPEG-2 files in TMPGEnc and in MS Media Player, plus a host of other programs.

Changes in Stinky's MPEG-2 Codec 1.2.0.79 :

U xvidcore/src/motion/motion_est.c (rev.1.71) syskin:

- ugly bugs fixed, R-D works better now

U xvidcore/src/motion/motion_est.h (rev.1.9) syskin:

- ugly bugs fixed, R-D works better now

? Related downloads:

- GPL MPEG-1/2 DirectShow Decoder Filter: can be used to play MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 streams in any media player based on DirectShow.

- Dscaler MPEG Filters: helps to play MPEG2 (DVD, SVCD) in Windows Media Player or other video players.

This codec automatically installed itself in System 32, Mpeg2Decoder.ax, and Mpeg2Parser.ax were in the package.

Trouble is, I couldn't find any way to get WMP to accept any other encoder or decoder or whatever, other than the ones found in the Intervideo "bin" folder.

The codecs in that folder are Ividia, and obviously these are commercial, and I got the impression that WMP will only look for these codecs, and only in that folder. Although it wouldn't use them when the relevant reg entries were missing.

Obviously, I've been wading just out of my depth here, and as there doesn't appear to be a way to configure plug-ins from within WMP, I couldn't find a way to configure the 3rd party ones I tried from outside the player.

You mention Media Player Classic. I've never downloaded any codec packs, yet MPC plays DVD's fine, and played fine when I had Intervideo fully uninstalled. I didn't think it would be using Intervideo files, but I thought I'd mention it.

I looked in the Media Player Classic Programs Files folder as I thought there must be an mpeg-2 codec etc in there, but there's nothing.

Anyway, if anyone can show me how to reconfigure WMP to use a 3rd party Mpeg-2 codec, or filters, feel free. I'm all ears. :D

• Moderators
Anyway, if anyone can show me how to reconfigure WMP to use a 3rd party Mpeg-2 codec, or filters, feel free. I'm all ears. :D

When I had forgotten to install Cyberlink PowerDVD back in April WMP barked about not having a required codec for DVD playback and took me to a page on Microsoft.com that showed available commercial DVD decoders. Of course they didn't list any free alternatives at all.

Although Media Player Classic can playback DVD's (I was using it via a DVD codec installed by K-Lite Mega Codec Pack) I had nothing but problems with it, thus unfortunately I ended up installing PowerDVD because it has always worked flawlessly on my system albeit the version I have is rather old.

• Moderators

Had another go at this today, and WMP is now playing DVD's without the Intervideo "bin" folder.

I reinstalled Intervideo WinDVD, (restore would have done the same thing), being the only way to properly uninstall the whole thing cleanly including the Common Folder.

The solution was staring me in the face, and I didn't know enough to realise. To keep it short, I downloaded and installed the Descaler Mpeg Filters, from my own link in the quote window above, and WMP played DVD's without having to do anything else.

Didn't even need to install the Mpeg-2 Decoder mentioned above.

• Moderators
Thanks for the update Dennis, rarely play DVDs on mine but needed a codec for it myself :)

You're welcome JD, I just wish I hadn't had to go all around the houses to get next door.

Anyway, it was actually quite enjoyable trying to solve something I didn't know too much about, which is just as well, as I seem to do it often.